Author Topic: Punch Pizza St Paul Mn  (Read 2172 times)

Offline anton-luigi

Punch Pizza St Paul Mn
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:09:11 AM »
Last night I had my first Margherita pizza at Punch Pizza in St Paul.  In all actuality,  that was the first wood fired brick oven pizza I've ever had.  I live in Northern Minnesota,  which is quite stark for anything of that sort.  First thing my wife said was how similar my crust was to theirs.  I understand her thought,  but they are still quite different.  I am using KABF,  and am getting a very chewy crust with quite a bit of substance.  The Punch crust is still somewhat chewy, but light in texture.  I paid 10.70 for an approximately 11" margherita with Mt Vesuvius tomatoes and the Bufala Mozzarella,  they also serve a plain margherita 11" with basil and a regular mozzarella for 5.80 If I remember correctly.  My daughter wasnt real thrilled with the basil leaf on it,  but we were able to get her to eat it after removing that and the tiny Mt Vesuvius tomatoes,  she actually really enjoyed it then.  I cant wait to go back.  Sorry about the placement,  didnt even think about it being a review!   >:D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:47:01 PM by anton-luigi »

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Punch Pizza St Paul Mn
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »
We were in St. Paul this summer and heard about Punch, visited it and were very impressed both their pizza, the closest  to the best pizza experienced in Italy as well as the procedure. We watched them quickly and effortlessly stretch the dough, top it and bake at about 800 for two minutes. (We timed it.) Since returning home, we have used their procedures in our brick oven with very good success.  Even though I have been making pizza in my brick oven for some time, what I learned it that it needs to be turned in about 45 seconds and then rotated frequently for the remainder of the time. With an oven that hot, it is very easy to burn.

bakerbill

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 06:21:47 AM »
The next time you're in St Paul you have to give Savoy's a try on the corner of Lafayette (hwy 52 bridge) and 7th street. My favorite pizza in the Twin Cities hands down, and has won many 'best pizza' polls over the years.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:53:19 PM »
I checked out their website very impressive. Looks like they are doing quite well based upon the pics of their pies and the number of stores they are opening.

http://www.punchpizza.com/

Russ

pizzapan