Author Topic: Starter made with idy  (Read 1532 times)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
Starter made with idy
« on: November 17, 2008, 12:15:16 AM »
Just as an experiment I decided to make a poolish with IDY and see what happend if I kept it going for a while. Usually I throw away whatever poolish is left after I make a batch of dough but this time I put it in an acrylic jar, fed it with some flour and water and put in the fridge. I left it for a few days and it looked like it was dying but I took it out and fed it again. After an some time on the kitchen counter it was very active again and I made another batch of dough with it. More water and flour and back into the fridge. It's been in the fridge for 3 days now and it still looks fairly active. In total, it's been going for about ten days now. Is it possible wild yeast has taken it over? I didn't think commercial yeast would stay alive this long. It does have a very pleasant odor and seems to be acting just like one of my sourdough starters. Any thoughts?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Starter made with idy
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 06:38:26 AM »
tdeane,

Last year, one of our members, creampuff (Andrea), who was in the process of starting a pizzeria (since accomplished), posed essentially the same question, which was discussed at some length at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5741.msg48769.html#msg48769.

Peter

pizzapan