Author Topic: Cheap and Easy way to knead dough  (Read 5997 times)

Offline pizzasf

Cheap and Easy way to knead dough
« on: November 13, 2007, 03:30:15 AM »
At the moment I am stuck between cave man style hand mixing which is 15 + minutes of torture and buying a $300 + electric mixer which I can't really afford. I have heard that the $150 mixers are just waiting to burn out on you any second. Are there any other options for ways to knead dough? Maybe some manual tools that make it easier?

Offline dmun

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Cheap and Easy way to knead dough
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 07:22:20 AM »
This piece of equipment isn't cheap, but you probably already have it. It's called a refrigerator.

This method works for me: all you have to do is plan ahead, and let time do the work. Mix the dry ingredients, dump in the water, stir until it sticks together, wait 20 minutes at room temperature. Turn out the dough on a floured surface, and kneed briefly, maybe 10 turns, way less than a minute. Bulk rise 'til doubled. Portion the dough, form balls, put into food storage containers, stick in the fridge for three days. Take out of the fridge about half an hour before you want to make pizza. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface with a silicone spatula, Form into a round, stretch, top, bake.

Give it a try. Flour is cheap.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:19:33 AM by dmun »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:40:15 AM »
Are there any other options for ways to knead dough? Maybe some manual tools that make it easier?

pizzasf,

If you have a food processor, you can use that but it should be at least an 11-cup model. You can also use a bread maker if you have one, using just the dough cycle. One of our members, turbosundance, even modified an old bread maker to use strictly for kneading dough, as he noted here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg37092.html#msg37092 (Reply 566). If you have an electric hand mixer you can use it for the early mixing stages of preparing high-hydration doughs and use your hands the rest of the way, as I described here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.msg36489.html#msg36489 (Reply 30).

Many members have purchased refurbished machines, from eBay, Amazon.com and others, at considerably less than normal retail prices. You might even look for used equipment. You might also give strong hints to family members on what you would like for your birthday or for Xmas. If you settle on a stand mixer, I would look for one with a spiral hook, not a C-hook, which is far less effective for kneading dough.

If you find yourself having to continue to hand knead doughs, I suggest that you use one or more rest periods during the kneading of your doughs. That softens the dough and makes hand kneading easier, even for doughs using high-gluten flour. Of course, the doughs have to have a relatively high hydration, which rules out doughs used to make cracker style doughs and other low-hydration doughs.

If you continue to hand knead doughs, I suggest that you use a large, solid wooden spoon (not a dinky one) to do the mixing, and a good-sized mixing bowl. You should also have a bench knife to move the dough around on your work surface, and a long handled flexible plastic spatula (like the one shown in the photo at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.msg33252.html#msg33252 ) to scrape down the sides of your bowl. As between using the bowl method and the work surface method, I think the bowl method is easier (which is why I recommend that the bowl be of good size).

I have run out of ideas. Good luck.

Peter

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 12:10:36 PM »
Budget is also a concern for me.    You might look into a refurbished or used model.  I just picked up a Pro 5 Plus KitchenAid for $170 including shipping on eBay.  This is their second-to-top consumer model I believe.  It is described as never being used so I think it should be fine.  I've been using an Artisan for a few years and wanted to upgrade to one that will handle the spiral dough hook.   I also picked up the Artisan model for only $120, it was a floor model.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:15:49 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 12:15:31 PM »
Just to give you some perspective, I own a $500 electrolux mixer, but I only start my dough in it.  I always do 1/2 the job by hand because I prefer the results.  When I visit my sister I use a cake mixer (handheld) to start it, then finish by hand and the crust turns out the same.  I honestly don't think a mixer is neccesary unless you really are going to do big batches.

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 12:55:27 PM »
The thrift shops always seem to have a couple of used bread machines in stock. I've seen them for as low as $10. As long as they have a dough cycle, you're in business.  pb
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 11:47:46 AM »
Other than for Caputo doughs, which seem to really need actual kneading (in my limited experience), I have been using a very easy, almost "No Knead" technique that I read about on Dan Lepard's web site. Dan Lepard is an Artisan Baker located in Australia, and his technique reflects the thoughts set-out above--very little actual kneading, spaced out in order to let "time" do most of the work. Here is a link to his website, on which I believe you will find his precise technique. I have used it with good success.

http://www.danlepard.com/forum/

Jim

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 06:51:10 AM »

All you really need is a bowl and a screwdriver. Check it out here.

(http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5682.msg49850.html#msg49850)

Villa Roma

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 03:50:25 PM »
Nice job Villa Roma, I always thought that you don't really need to knead that long or with a machine. Its the autolyse or waiting in between that creates a nice gluten stretch... You do a great job with the whole wheat flour pies... I was really chuckling hearing your "jet engine cooker" sound in the background...you've got the heat for sure!!

Offline garyd

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 04:19:35 AM »
Other than for Caputo doughs, which seem to really need actual kneading (in my limited experience), I have been using a very easy, almost "No Knead" technique that I read about on Dan Lepard's web site. Dan Lepard is an Artisan Baker located in Australia, and his technique reflects the thoughts set-out above--very little actual kneading, spaced out in order to let "time" do most of the work. Here is a link to his website, on which I believe you will find his precise technique. I have used it with good success.

http://www.danlepard.com/forum/

Jim

Where exactly on his website is his precise technique?

pizzapan