Author Topic: Pimp My Proofing Box  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Matthew

Pimp My Proofing Box
« on: January 02, 2009, 06:18:18 PM »
Hi All,
I just finished building my proofing box & began to activate my Calmodoli Culture ;D.  The box is based on the one described by Ed Wood.   
My design includes a window so that I can check on my culture regularly without opening the lid.

Matt
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 06:21:00 PM by Matthew »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pimp My Proofing Box
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 06:34:57 PM »
Hmmm..

That looks strangely familiar: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg49752/topicseen.html#msg49752 (Reply 69). ;D

It's a great appliance to have and will come in handy in many ways.

Peter

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 07:05:26 PM »
Peter,
Honest to God, this is the first time that I saw the picture of yours.  I guess it's not so original after all :-[.  What can I say; great minds think alike  ;)

Matthew

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:17:24 PM »
Matt,

It's logical that the two proofing boxes should look alike since I also made mine based on Ed Wood's description in his Classic Sourdoughs book. The idea to add the viewing window came from my brother who had done likewise with his proofing box. Before I added the viewing window, my proofing box was as shown in Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,403.msg4887.html#msg4887.

The above notwithstanding, I like your explanation better than mine 8).

Peter

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 07:38:40 PM »
Peter,
Just out of curiosity, you mentioned that you moved your thermometer to left on your box, what was the reason?  Also, is your socket recessed in the top?  I was scared that the box might melt so I left the socket in the inside & just poked a hole for the wire leads through the top.

Matt

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 07:51:09 PM »
Matt,

Originally I had the stem of the thermometer in the front, extending into the interior space, but when I put in the viewing window I moved the thermometer to the side. With regard to the lamp socket, I simply made a hole in the top of the Styrofoam unit and inserted the socket into that hole from the inside. The fit was a little bit loose so I simply wrapped some duct tape around the socket to get a tighter fit. The socket is raised a bit above the top (exterior) surface of the Styrofoam so all the wires are above that surface. It wasn't the fanciest job but it worked and I have gotten a lot of use out of the proofing box.

Peter

pizzapan