Author Topic: Best way to crush canned San Marzanos?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline garyd

Best way to crush canned San Marzanos?
« on: December 02, 2008, 05:24:24 AM »
OK, I got a can of DOP SM Tomatoes. Do I drain the liquid and toss it or keep the liquid? Do I remove the seeds or keep them? Do I use my hands to crush them or a blender or food processor? What is the best process? Also what is the approved VPN method?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Best way to crush canned San Marzanos?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:06:57 AM »
Depends on the style of pizza Deep Dish, Thin crust etc.. and the texture that pleases your palette.  I get my fingers into the tomatoes. By the time I have de seeded them opening and dipping, they are about hand crushed anyway. A few more squeezes a little draining and onto the pie. Some use a hand motor boat type blender ( see varsano link) for a quick second or two. Many opinions on this topic. Have you tried the search at top of page?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline shango

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 06:25:34 PM »
A food mill would be best. I don't see any reason to remove the seeds, but if you want to, go for it.  Also, save the tomato "water" from the can for bloody marys, pasta sauce, veggie stock, whatever.  Waste not want not, besides, about half the weight of that can will be tomato "water",  throwing it away would be like throwing away $$
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 09:54:07 PM »
I usually hand crush them and try to remove most of the seeds. Reserve the liquid for pasta sauce or better yet the Bloody Mary idea is great.
Russ

Offline Tiramisu

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 12:16:04 AM »
This is my technique for Naples style uncooked San Marzano sauce:

I like to take out the big pieces and one by one deseed them into the can by shaking them into the tomato water. I then put the big pieces into a food processor and puree them down.  You do not want to do this without deseeding otherwise it will make your sauce bitter.  After that I add them back to the can minus the stem pieces you will find.  Remove the stems as they will not add any flavor.  I then add sea salt, oregano and coarse pepper and let it marinate in the fridge for half a day before use.  On some brands (like Cento) the tomato water will be not be very thick so I would toss at least at a third to one-half of it otherwise the sauce will be too watery.  Each brand is different in this regard.