Author Topic: I asked a bakery for some starter  (Read 1741 times)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
I asked a bakery for some starter
« on: December 11, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »
I asked a great bakery here in Vancouver for some of it's starter and here is the reponse I got.

Hello Terry

Iím glad you enjoy our baguettes. 

The flavour of a starter has more to do with the environment that it is being held in than its original source of origin.  For example your starter from Naples probably has more wild yeast from Abbotsford now.  Once you start to feed a culture with your local flour and water the flavour profile will change due to the wild yeast that is in your environment being attracted into your starter.  Yeast is very competitive and the yeast variety with the higher quantity will take over.  So over time your Naples starter becomes your own and the flavour profiles will be unique to your environment. 

We have a company policy that we do not give out or sell our starter dough.  I would suggest you continue to feed and nurture your starter from Naples.  You can adjust your flavour profile by increasing or decreasing the temperature of the water you feed your starter. 

Mary Mackay

What do you guys think of that?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: I asked a bakery for some starter
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »
If the bakery is referring to the Italian starters from sourdo.com, I would have to disagree. These cultures are particularly hardy in a wide range of pH's and temperatures. When properly fed, the gazillions of healthy organisms in the culture are easily able to dominate any local interlopers. Other starter cultures may not be as strong and could, perhaps, be more easily be contaminated. This is based on my own observations; I have not ever assayed a culture to determine its composition.

I would say the bakery is finding a polite way of refusing you. If I were running a commercial bakery, I'm pretty sure I would do the same thing. The contract with the customer is to produce the best bread possible - not to make it easier for others to do the same.

Bill/SFNM

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 01:54:40 PM »
Yeah, if she really believed what she said, then there should be no problem selling me some starter.

Offline anton-luigi

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
Funny enough,  I had made a large bowl of preferment to batch dough with,  and I used probably one 4th of it for my dough and was about to dump the remainder when I thought,  "Hmmm, wonder if the new bakery on our main street uses starter or would be interested in this"?   So,  I took it down there and she was like,  "Hell yeah  I'd like it,  what do you want for it"!!!!  I dont remember if I gave her Camaldoli or Ischia though. 

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:32:52 PM »
Funny enough,  I had made a large bowl of preferment to batch dough with,  and I used probably one 4th of it for my dough and was about to dump the remainder when I thought,  "Hmmm, wonder if the new bakery on our main street uses starter or would be interested in this"?   So,  I took it down there and she was like,  "Hell yeah  I'd like it,  what do you want for it"!!!!  I dont remember if I gave her Camaldoli or Ischia though. 

Yeah I offered to give her either one of the Italian starters but she wasn't interested.

pizzapan