Author Topic: Newbie for Neapolitan Style  (Read 1792 times)

Offline mdenny

Newbie for Neapolitan Style
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:33:26 AM »
I just finished building a wood fired oven and I am now just starting to learn about Neapolitan Pizza and Caputo 00 flour.  Is there a standard recipe I can go to utlizing Caputo 00, IDY and a combination room temp and cold fermentation. What is a good starting point for Hydration for this type of pizza?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Newbie for Neapolitan Style
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:56:01 AM »
I started with the standard recipe on The fornobravo.com web site under recipes. I have had great success with that in the oven shown here. Also go to  Jeff Varsanos web site for a hot oven. Some great info  and pics there, maybe peter can put the link here. The major difference is how the flour can handle the high heat alot better than any other. I also notice a different rise from the 00 flour, more dense (finer flour) and less poofy.  What type of oven did you buid do you have any pics?
Enjoy!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline mdenny

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 01:27:35 PM »
Thanks John
I also purchased an oven from Forn Bravo.  Love it!  I'll forward pictures tonight when I am on my home computer.  I will check the FornoBravo website for the recipe and would be interested in the link to Jeff Varsanos website.

Thanks Much

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 01:29:01 PM »
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 01:36:26 PM »
maybe peter can put the link here.

The link to Jeff's recipe page can also be found at the website for Jeff's planned new restaurant, at http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm. However, for a basic Neapolitan dough formulation that can be used with either a natural starer (or, Crisceto, as pizzanapoletana calls it) or with commercial yeast (fresh yeast in this case), see Reply 4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1415.msg12915.html#msg12915. If cold fermentation is to be used, then the formulation will have to be adjusted to accommodate that mode of fermentation. There are also other Neapolitan style dough formulations scattered throughout the forum, using either room temperature fermentation or cold fermentation.

Also, to answer the question specifically raised by mdenny, as noted at Reply 17 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2951.msg25328.html#msg25328, the rated absorption value for the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour is around 55-57%. However, I think that most people would consider that range to be too low, and that something closer to 60% is a better hydration figure to use. It is possible to go above 65% hydration, but that would be more of a "winter" value in Naples (because of the strictly room temperature fermentation) and in the context of using a very high temperature oven as is generally used in Naples. Also, using a higher hydration value for the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour will make the dough highly extensible and too "wet" for most people to handle.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 01:39:53 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline mdenny

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 03:04:25 PM »
Thanks Peter
As always.... You Da man!