Author Topic: what standard ingrediants go into a classic new york style pizza sauce?  (Read 8021 times)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
Re: what standard ingrediants go into a classic new york style pizza sauce?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 05:38:17 PM »
Peter,

I took your advice and called stanislaus and they were very helpful.  On the phone they said for what I was trying to accomplish a mixture of 7/11 (crushed tomatoes unpeeled) and full red pizza sauce would give me a good base which to add my own ingredients.  They suggested not using added water as it takes away from the flavor of the tomatoes.  They are sending a rep out to my store to bring samples and help give advice.  I strongly recommend this company to anyone.

Kevin
I would suggest leaving out the Full Red and just using the 7/11. It is a superior product to the Full Red. I like to mix the 7/11 50-50 with the Alta Cucina's which I grind myself, leaving all the liquid in the sauce.

Offline Tekari

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 11:08:19 PM »
tdeane,

how exactly do you grind them? and what exact product is it? its a stanislaus product i assume

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 11:43:31 PM »
tdeane,

how exactly do you grind them? and what exact product is it? its a stanislaus product i assume
The 7/11's are a Stanislaus product. I use an immersion blender for the Alta Cucina's, so I guess that would be more crushed or even pureed than ground.

Offline Tekari

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 06:44:56 PM »
so with a 50/50 blend the alta cucinas blended are enough to thinkout the full red pizza sauce and give a good consistency?

Offline Tekari

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 06:45:25 PM »
how big of a blender do you use and how much do they go for?

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 06:48:08 PM »
so with a 50/50 blend the alta cucinas blended are enough to thinkout the full red pizza sauce and give a good consistency?
I don't use the Full Red so I wouldn't know. I use the 7/11. I mix 50/50 with the Alta Cucina and a bit of water(very little) to get the proper thickness.

Offline NewYorkMinute

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 07:53:12 PM »
Tetari, a classic NY sauce is not chunky and is not cooked before it goes on the pizza.  Depending on the place it ranges from puree to crushed, and some of the higher end pizzerias crush their own whole canned
tomatoes and thicken with paste.  There is a wide array of tomato viscosities available to pizzerias and many start with a very thick paste and add water to get it to their desired consistency.  This is of course the most cost effective method.  85% of NY pizzerias seem to be using California grown tomatoes that are typically pretty sweet when compared to Italian tomatoes.  Stanislaus is the brand I see being used the most, but there a number of others that I see as well including Old California, Escalon, or a vast array of "house brands" sold by the various distributers.   A typical spice mix would contain dry garlic, oregano, salt, and maybe a touch of sugar.  Of course everyone adds or takes away to find their own niche.  It is not uncommon to see oil, black pepper, white pepper, basil, or onion powder in there as well.  The higher end places tend to use a very simple sauce of just tomatoes and salt staying true to their neapolitan roots. 

Here's what I'm using, I have no idea if its suitable or not. I can't find much around here where I live in Eugene Oregon. I found these canned Plum Tomatoes from Trader Joes's which are pasty.

1 14.5 oz. can Plum Tomatoes (Trader Joes, only had 28 oz. can). Don't use other standard types
1 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. sugar [up to 1 tsp, taste it]
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
 :chef:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:54:46 PM by NewYorkMinute »

pizzapan