Author Topic: what standard ingrediants go into a classic new york style pizza sauce?  (Read 8581 times)

Offline Tekari

I am not looking for an exact recipe.. more so I just wanted to know what major things are put into alot of the classic ny style sauce recipies.

I have alot of different sauces that I like.. but I want to make sure I am somewhat similar to those in NY.  Mainly did they put sugar in their sauce?  Do they use all puree.. or part crushed tomatoe part puree?

Also is the sauce generally chunky? or mostly puree/water type consistency.

Thanks guys

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: what standard ingrediants go into a classic new york style pizza sauce?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:38:33 AM »
Tetari, a classic NY sauce is not chunky and is not cooked before it goes on the pizza.  Depending on the place it ranges from puree to crushed, and some of the higher end pizzerias crush their own whole canned
tomatoes and thicken with paste.  There is a wide array of tomato viscosities available to pizzerias and many start with a very thick paste and add water to get it to their desired consistency.  This is of course the most cost effective method.  85% of NY pizzerias seem to be using California grown tomatoes that are typically pretty sweet when compared to Italian tomatoes.  Stanislaus is the brand I see being used the most, but there a number of others that I see as well including Old California, Escalon, or a vast array of "house brands" sold by the various distributers.   A typical spice mix would contain dry garlic, oregano, salt, and maybe a touch of sugar.  Of course everyone adds or takes away to find their own niche.  It is not uncommon to see oil, black pepper, white pepper, basil, or onion powder in there as well.  The higher end places tend to use a very simple sauce of just tomatoes and salt staying true to their neapolitan roots. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:21:46 AM by scott r »

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 01:17:40 AM »
Honestly, in the 90's the most common thing I saw was Red Pack crushed tomatoes right out of the can with a little dried oregano sprinkled on top. Some places would sprinkle on a little parmesan before adding the mozzarella. That is a real NY pizza sauce.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:37:12 AM »
Good call!  Yes, red pack is all over the place, probably #2 in popularity, but i still think the various Stanislaus products reign supreme.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 01:56:38 AM »
Good call!  Yes, red pack is all over the place, probably #2 in popularity, but i still think the various Stanislaus products reign supreme.
They probably do now, but not back then. I am using Stanislaus products in my NY style pizzeria.

Offline Tekari

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 05:18:31 PM »
is dry garlic the same thing as garlic powder(excuse my ignorance haha)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 03:20:55 AM »
yes

Offline Tekari

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 07:51:53 AM »
Scottr,

Are you familiar with the saporito heavy pizza sauce?  and the FULL RED puree and crushed tomatoes?

I have been playing around with starting from a mix of puree and crushed tomatoes then adding spices and also starting with the heavy pizza sauce and then adding spices.

Have you worked with either?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 01:34:41 PM »
Yes I have used these, and they are excellent products.  I tend to use the saporito to thicken up other products that are a bit too watery (like whole tomatoes that I crush myself).  For this purpose the Saporito heavy pizza sauce works great, but on it's own I find it to be a little lifeless.  It is, after all, tomato paste.  I don't know why they just don't call it that.  Removing most of the water from a tomato product at the factory to then have it rehydrated at the pizzeria seems like a good way to save money, but its not necessarily the best way to get a fresh tasting sauce.

The full red puree and crushed tomatoes are closer to the consistency that you would want to use on your pizza, and I think you will end up with a better product if you start with them.  If you want to try the Stanislaus brand I would recommend that you either start with their whole tomatoes and strain (or add paste).  Another good alternative is to go with one of their products that is close to your desired sauce consistency like the Tomato Magic or the 7/11. 

Good luck Tekari!

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 01:59:03 PM »
I found the 7/11 ground tomatoes to be superior in taste to the Full Red crushed tomatoes. I have been experimenting with crushing the Alta Cucina's myself and then adding some of the 7/11 to thicken it up a little.

Offline Tekari

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 03:26:55 PM »
Great info guys thanks.

I have never heard of 7magic tomato.. is this a whole tomato canned product?  I know saporito is ilke a concentrated tomato paste.. Full Red Puree is a watery tomatoe product .. Full red crushed tomatoes are simply crushed tomatoes..

What im getting at is how would you describe tomato magic ? 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:30:45 PM by Tekari »

Offline Tekari

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 03:28:01 PM »
scott r, how do you feel about adding crushed tomatoes to saporito? would that give me a fresher / and or better consistency? ive never made ny style pizza we are in upstate ny theres not much of it around

Offline Tekari

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 03:31:23 PM »
also are you saying start with 7/11 because the ground tomatoes are less thick? therefore im not dehydrating and rehydrating?

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 08:39:10 PM »
also are you saying start with 7/11 because the ground tomatoes are less thick? therefore im not dehydrating and rehydrating?

The 7/11 are a little less thick than the Full Red and also, the 7/11 aren't cooked as much as the Full Red. The Full Red are cooked and concentrated in the can and I don't like that. The 7/11 taste like fresh tomato to me whereas the Full Red has a little of that cooked/tomato pastey kind of quality. They also turn kind of brown on the cooked pizza where the 7/11 keeps it's bright red color.

Offline Tekari

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 12:35:15 PM »
ok so 7/11 is a product line of crushed tomatoes uncooked and not as thick as FULL RED crushed tomatoes?

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 01:04:38 PM »
ok so 7/11 is a product line of crushed tomatoes uncooked and not as thick as FULL RED crushed tomatoes?

7/11's are ground tomatoes not crushed tomatoes. All canned tomatoes are cooked but the Full Reds are cooked a lot more than the 7/11's. They are also made by Stanislaus.

Offline Tekari

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 01:46:51 PM »
isn't puree just ground tomatoes?  Is the 7/11 product anything like FULL RED puree?

Offline Tekari

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »
im revisiting this thread after quite a while...

I currently am mixing one part saparito heavy pizza sauce (w/ fresh basil leaves) to one part water.  Then adding my own ingredients.

This is giving me a good consistency.. but as you all have said before is leaving it a bit "lifeless."  I have heard alot of good things about 7/11 ground tomatoes.. what do you suggest I mix it with to get the right thickness for a  ny style pizza?

Does anyone have a proportion of 7/11 to whatever else (full red pizza sauce possibly?) Would you need to add water to this mixture?

I am simply trying to avoid wasting alot of cans of product in order to come up with a formula that produces a good consitency.

thanks for anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 11:31:36 PM »
Kevin,

Here are some things to look at that might help: http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=42642#42642, http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=30364#30364, and http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=11879#11879. If you do a Stanislaus search at the PMQTT, you will find quite a few additional posts. I understand that the Full Red is like a family of sauces, so it might help to call the Stanislaus folks to get help on possible combinations and how to prepare them.

Peter

Offline Tekari

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »
Peter,

I took your advice and called stanislaus and they were very helpful.  On the phone they said for what I was trying to accomplish a mixture of 7/11 (crushed tomatoes unpeeled) and full red pizza sauce would give me a good base which to add my own ingredients.  They suggested not using added water as it takes away from the flavor of the tomatoes.  They are sending a rep out to my store to bring samples and help give advice.  I strongly recommend this company to anyone.

Kevin

pizzapan