Author Topic: Another pizza weekend  (Read 10900 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:Another pizza weekend
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2003, 10:46:34 PM »
I think restaurateur’s know that at home we would never add as much salt, sugar and or fat as they do.  When we eat out we value taste more than good sense.  That’s why we are shocked with the recipes that it takes to recreate out favorite eat out meals.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2003, 01:57:33 PM »
DKM... used your recipe tonight, dough is in the refrigerator for pizza tomorrow night. Will let everyone know the results!

Some observations:

Dough seemed a bit sticky, dough ball would not hold its shape... seemed like it needed more flour. I used 3 1/2 cups per your recipe so I used the dough as-is. We'll see how it turns out tomorrow.

1/2 cup shortening... seems like a lot of oil! Again, we'll see how it cooks up tomorrow.

Any recommendations on the sauce? I was planning to put on the cheese, then top with some 6-in-1 crushed tomatoes seasoned with some oregano, fresh basil, and garlic, then topped off with parmesean cheese.

Recommendation for oven temp? Cooking time?

Thanks!  ;D

Could have added more flour, if need. I go more by feel then anything, I add 3 cups then keep adding until it seems right normally around 3 1/2 cups.  Mine is soft, but doesn't stick to my hands.

Bake on middle track at 450 around 20 minutes, rotate once at the half point.

I use basicly what you listed for sauce.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2003, 02:46:50 PM »
Once you start weighing your ingredients you will never go back to measuring by the cup.  Your recipe will be dead on, every time.

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2003, 04:25:31 PM »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2003, 04:31:15 PM »
I've done it by weight before also.  There are still environmental factors, however, that can affect things.  I don’t use the same amount of flour when 100 degrees and 95% humidity as I do when it’s 75 degrees and 40% humidity.  Doesn’t matter if it is by weight or by measuring cup the amount of flour needed will probably be different.

That's why I'm a look and feel person (like my dear mother)

DKM

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2003, 04:34:23 PM »
Found this interesting recipe site.
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/1134/Pizzas.html

I've seen that before.  Think I tried it once, not bad.  But I prefer my current one.

DKM

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2003, 05:04:34 PM »
I've got the in the cooler for Friday.  Interesting mixing instructions.  I premix half of the flour water and yeast, but I never ran the mix phase for 10 minutes.  Seems like the oil would limit gluten development.  I did follow instructions on this one for tomorrow.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2003, 09:48:23 AM »
1 1/2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup crisco
1 teaspoon salt

DKM, your recipe was excellent!  :)  Very buscuit-like and very tasty. I cooked it for 25 minutes at 450 degrees, but the bottom was undercooked (the sides and top were golden brown). I'll have to cook it longer next time.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2003, 10:03:54 AM »
I think we have a terminology problem here.  I tried this crust and it is nothing like a biscuit.  Where you boys live?  Are y’all yankees and eat biscuits out of a can?
 :o

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2003, 10:20:26 AM »
Ok, it was a soft and moist crust... the cornmeal provided a slight "toothiness" to the crust, but I'd have to say that it was very biscuit-like. This may have something to do with the fact that my dough was very sticky when I put it out to rise... I probably didn't use enough flour. And it's also probably due to the fact that the bottom didn't brown (I seem to be having this problem lately!)

So, yes, the best description that I can come up with is "buscuit-like".   ;D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2003, 11:15:46 AM »
Your forgiven.   :)
We do take our biscuits very seriously down here in Georgia.  Many still use lard.  If you run across White Lily self rising flour where you live try their biscuit recipe and you will see what I mean.  Southern flour is very low in protein and is excellent for cakes and pie crust.  However the low gluten development makes it a poor performer when it comes to yeast dough.
http://www.whitelily.com/

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2003, 11:52:26 AM »
DKM, your recipe was excellent!  :)  Very buscuit-like and very tasty. I cooked it for 25 minutes at 450 degrees, but the bottom was undercooked (the sides and top were golden brown). I'll have to cook it longer next time.

Steve, what kind of pan and oil did you use?

Also next time try putting it on the bottom rack.  I had to do that one time at my parents house.

DKM

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2003, 11:55:15 AM »
Your forgiven.   :)
We do take our biscuits very seriously down here in Georgia.  Many still use lard.  If you run across White Lily self rising flour where you live try their biscuit recipe and you will see what I mean.  Southern flour is very low in protein and is excellent for cakes and pie crust.  However the low gluten development makes it a poor performer when it comes to yeast dough.
http://www.whitelily.com/

Randy

I'm in Texas where we also take biscuits very seriously and I have also had people use that term when the crust doesn't brown enough.

Of course the people who were telling me that also ment it as a complement.

DKM

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2003, 11:58:33 AM »
Here is the recipe I used for tonights pizza copied from the site I listed earlier.  I did cut it in half to make two 9" pizzas and it had an over-night rise.
Very odd mixing instructions but I stayed with them.
Randy
DOUGH :
Original version:
THIS RECIPE MAKES TWO 16 INCH PIZZAS.
2 packages instant dry yeast or 1 TBSP bread machine yeast

2 cups tepid water (lukewarm)

1/2 cup vegetable oil

4 TBSP olive oil (THIS IS A MUST)

1 tsp salt

1 TBSP sugar

6 cups flour

Place water, oils, salt, sugar, yeast, and 3 cups of the flour in your mixer. Beat for 10 minutes in a mixer or by hand. We mean 10 minutes NOT 9 1/2. We'll be watching ! ! Add the remaining 3 cups flour and knead with your mixer if you're lucky enough to have a Kitchen Aid. Otherwise knead by hand for several minutes. Several minutes means between 4 and 10. I get tired after about 5 minutes. (Before I got my Kitchen Aid. . . . now I watch IT do the work).Place dough in a large bowl and allow it to rise until it is about double in volume. Punch it down again and allow it to rise and double in volume again. Punch it down one more time and you are ready to make pizza. If you don't use it now the next time you punch it down it WILL punch back ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Take about 1/2 of the dough and place in a 16" round 2 " deep pan. Press it in the pan no rolling is necessary. (Sounds too good to be true.) If you rolls the dough slightly to get it started it come out a little more evenly but its not necessary if you dont feel like doing it. Now you will need to take about 1/2 pound very thinly sliced mozzarella cheese and layer it on the pizza. Now you should preheat you oven to 500º ( YES we said 500 theres no fooling around here.) When oven reaches temperature turn down to 450º and bake crust for 5 - 8 minutes so your toppings will not soak through to your dough. Next step is to evenly cover the cheese with your sauce. Next are your toppings. These can very depending on what you prefer on your pizza.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 12:01:32 PM by Randy »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2003, 12:01:15 PM »
I found a new one in a Pizza book the yesterday that was a little different.  When I get a chance (and if I find it again) I will post it.

DKM

Randy, you ever try roasting those bell peppers?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2003, 12:46:58 PM »
Yes and no.  I got them roasted per your instructions but a change in plans stopped my thin crust.  So I froze them.  Tuesday I hope to make my thin crust again and put the peppers on the thin crust.  They sure looked good.

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2003, 06:29:25 PM »
Boy this crust is sticky.  Not long before we put them in the oven.
 8)
Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2003, 08:16:04 PM »
The dough was easy to work with but it was still a bit much for two 9” pans.  The wife and I both missed at least some corn meal in this recipe.  In Steve’s terminology, it had a biscuit like crust that browned very well.  It was very tasty but not our favorite so far.
We have both decided that we liked the Lou Malnati's Chicago Style Pizza recipe on Steve’s site the best.  I am going to try that one next with a two or three day rise in the cooler.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2003, 08:29:42 PM »
It fits my large pan almost perfectly, it does two small with a little left over.

DKM

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2003, 08:30:45 PM »
Boy this crust is sticky.  Not long before we put them in the oven.
 8)
Randy

I never thought of mine as being sticky.  Soft yes, but sticky.

DKM