Author Topic: costco conagra harvest bread flour? does this stuff contain the potassium bro?  (Read 13748 times)

Offline koloa101

bromate? i just started reading up on buying bulk flour and then came across potassium bromate, not good stuff!

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
agreed.  It's illegal in the UK 8)

Offline koloa101

so the costco conagra harvest bread flour brand is the same as ConAgra Magnifico Special flour that i found in the search results? if so, thats terrible for costco to sell it!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Just picked up a bag of this flour at costco.  No bromate, and the exact same ingredients as King Arthur (in the same order) for $19 a 50lb bag.  I will post results after further testing.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Just picked up a bag of this flour at costco.  No bromate, and the exact same ingredients as King Arthur (in the same order) for $19 a 50lb bag.  I will post results after further testing.

Scott,

The BF right? Please report back!

Thanks,

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline mkc

Just picked up a bag of this flour at costco.  No bromate, and the exact same ingredients as King Arthur (in the same order)

The BF our Costco sells (don't recall the brand) is bleached - is this an unbleached BF?

Thanks,

Michelle

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
This is a bleached bread flour, but its not bromated.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Scott r,
So I just got access to Costo and the Conagra flours, very reasonable price. 50 lbs. ? I may invite the neighbors , as the pies come out a lot less $ than the wine they bring but I wont let them know that. :D You are speaking of the Bread  flour right? the other one I think, was hotel  all purpose flour. So did you ever post your results anywhere with that flour? As you have had it close to a month I am just guessing you have mad a few pies.  I did pick up 10 lbs of KAAP at the BJs Wholesale Club for like $5 bucks I thought that was very reasonable as well. I wish they would sell the KASL or KABF as well. :'(

side bar - did you ever try the Costco Whole Italian plum tomatoes "San Marzano style or region?" packed in Italy and imported to Good ole New Jersey I bought a #10  can for $3.79 and I will post results when I get to them.
John
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:38:21 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
John,

I've used those tomatos before-they were kind of mealy.  :'( I made a pasta sauce that cooked for a long time and while it was ok I have't bought them again. This was 2 years ago, so I look forward to your report!

Jeff

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Ok, I put this flour through its paces and it is excellent.  I have only been using it at 600 degrees, so no super high temp experiments, but I actually preferred it to Harvest king which was my control. The flavor is better, and the texture is a bit more "New York".  I used both room temperature and fridge fermented proofing methods with the same end results.  I did the experiment a few times trying to take them both to the same level of gluten development with the same proofing regimen, so I think it is a valid assessment.

I did find some people who say that while bromate is really bad for you, bleaching is also bad (but not nearly as much so).  I would read up on bleaching before you buy this flour, but other than that it is a good deal for sure.  I have noticed that it takes quite a bit less time to mix than other comparable flours, so don't worry if it seems to be getting to the proper gluten development in a hurry.

Not a big fan of the San Marzano tomatoes at my Costco,  Nina I think?. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 04:47:56 PM by scott r »

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
Ok, I put this flour through its paces and it is excellent.  I have only been using it at 600 degrees, so no super high temp experiments, but I actually preferred it to Harvest king which was my control. The flavor is better, and the texture is a bit more "New York".   I did the experiment a few times trying to take them both to the same level of gluten development with the same proofing regimen, so I think it is a valid assessment.

I did find some people who say that while bromate is really bad for you, bleaching is also bad (but not nearly as much so).  I would read up on bleaching before you buy this flour, but other than that it is a good deal for sure.  I have noticed that it takes quite a bit less time to mix than other comparable flours, so don't worry if it seems to be getting to the proper gluten development in a hurry.

Not a big fan of the San Marzano tomatoes at my Costco,  Nina I think?. 

Scott,

Yep Nina.

Really glad to hear about that flour, and I've since found that the best local pizzeria around here uses it in thier NY style dough. Would you mind posting your formula?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
jeff, I have a consulting business now, and have worked for a number of pizzerias around the country to help improve their product.   I don't want to give away any formulations since I now need to protect the interests of those pizzerias.    I will say that there are so many great recipes and ideas on this forum, and any basic NY style recipe should work great with this flour.  Good luck!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
OK Scott,
Now the big question? hows it compare to the All Trumps 5111 ?  that the majority of the pizzerias around here in NJ are using? At a minimum, could you recommend a Hyrdation for this flour cooking at 550 -600?
thanks for the info
John
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 05:15:05 PM by JConk007 »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
OK Scott,
Now the big question? hows it compare to the All Trumps 5111 ?  that the majority of the pizzerias around here in NJ are using? At a minimum, could you recommend a Hyrdation for this flour cooking at 550 -600?
thanks for the info
John

NO non bromated flour is ever going to be anything like a bromated flour

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
jeff, I have a consulting business now, and have worked for a number of pizzerias around the country to help improve their product.   I don't want to give away any formulations since I now need to protect the interests of those pizzerias.    I will say that there are so many great recipes and ideas on this forum, and any basic NY style recipe should work great with this flour.  Good luck!

What--EVERRRR!  :P

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
OK ,
No Hydration recommendation? for bromated or don't they make a non bromated bleached which is not as big a deal right? or is that the con agra bread?
Just trying to get to whether I should spend the 15$ for the con agra bread or go with the all trumps, very close in price here in Jersey.
Again thanks for the input guys
I will make the pasta sauce Jeff looks great!
John

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
I was probably using 65% hydration, but I go by feel on my flour amounts when baking at home.  I also think it makes for a more valid comparison between flours.  The flour we are talking about in this thread, the conagra harvest bread flour is bleached, but non bromated.  When using bromated all trumps I tend to go just slightly lower with my hydration, usually 62-63%.  Bromated flours tend to make a more tender product, so you can get away with using a lower hydration, and still get a nice charred pie without toughness setting in.   Still I find it very important to match hydration levels (along with the need for sugars oils, or other additives) to the oven.  Some ovens can really bake a great pizza with just a very simple recipe containing nothing but yeast water salt and flour, but some can not.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:03:22 PM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
What--EVERRRR!  :P

Jeff, If you go back through my posts over the years you will find dozens of formulations that I have freely given out, along with countless tomato,cheese,topping,and recipe shootout results.  So far three of my clients have contacted me through this forum, and the last pizzeria I consulted for actually asked me to please not post the formulation that he is using on the forum.  It has been interesting trying to continue to contribute to the forum while trying to balance this situation out, so I hope I am not offending anyone or coming off sounding like I have some sort of pizza ego!   
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:05:27 PM by scott r »

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
Jeff, If you go back through my posts over the years you will find dozens of formulations that I have freely given out, along with countless tomato,cheese,topping,and recipe shootout results.  So far three of my clients have contacted me through this forum, and the last pizzeria I consulted for actually asked me to please not post the formulation that he is using on the forum.  It has been interesting trying to continue to contribute to the forum while trying to balance this situation out, so I hope I am not offending anyone or coming off sounding like I have some sort of pizza ego!   

Absolutely no offense taken. I was purely kidding, as I am aware you do consulting work. Sorry if I didn't make my jokiness clear.

Best,

Jeff

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
no problem, it seemed like you were joking, and I figured that was the case. 

About those Nina Tomatoes.  Although I didn't end up picking any up I did notice that my costco just got in a huge new shipment of them a month or so ago.   Because they are so amazingly inexpenive, it might be worth checking this years batch out.  I have been shocked to find the variation from year to year in many brands, so much so that this years batch could be vastly superior to last years.  If I remember correctly the flavor was quite fresh with them, so maybe if we are lucky this years crop isn't mealy.