Author Topic: La Casa Bianca Restaurant in Whitehouse Station, NJ  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Art

• la pizza è la mia vita!!
La Casa Bianca Restaurant in Whitehouse Station, NJ
« on: December 11, 2008, 12:28:47 PM »
Have any of you folks in the NJ area ever tried their pizza. I'd be very interested in hearing others opinions.   :-\  Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: La Casa Bianca Restaurant in Whitehouse Station, NJ
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:20:03 PM »
Art,
Thats the one right there on the main street correct ? coming from rt 22 would be on the left? in a kinda small strip 2-3 units on the end outdoor seating too.
Just checkin I have been by it many times and heard many good things about the food, but no, sorry I have never been there if thats it. Did you try it?

I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Art

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 05:04:38 PM »
I too had heard good things about the food ever since they opened. An article from NJ Monthly early this year piqued my interest regarding their pizza. Here's the quote:

"Best Of Jersey: PizzPosted March 10, 2008
The secret? New Haven native turned jersey guy says, ìItís the love.î

Paul Liscio, chef and co-owner of La Casa Bianca in Whitehouse Station, grew up on Wooster Street in New Haven, in an apartment above his parents' Italian deli. The apartment was across the street from and midway between Sally's and Pepe's, the two shrines of New Haven's justly famous pizza culture. People stand in line for hours waiting to get in, sustained by aromas wafting to the sidewalk. Liscio can go them one better.

I could see and smell both Sally's and Pepe's from my bedroom window, he says. I was in my crib smelling those pies.

After he earned his CIA degree, Liscio interned at a restaurant directly across the street from Sally's. Every afternoon I would have a pie and some homemade wine with owner Sal Consiglio while the kitchen staff, who were all Italian, took their siesta.

Liscio later trained in Rome and Palermo before opening La Casa Bianca (lacasabianca.net), a fine dining restaurant in Whitehouse, twelve years ago. In 2002, his partner, Joe Speranca, whose masonry company is doing the brick-and-block work on the new Giants Stadium, brought in third-generation Italian artisans and special stone from Tuscany to build a wood-fired oven. Though the oven is cleaned regularly, it has not been allowed to totally cool down in six years. When Liscio began making pizza small individual pies at first my influence, he says, was Sally's and Pepe's.

As a trained chef, Liscio says he can easily duplicate almost anything he sees and tastes, but getting his pizza dough right proved a much greater challenge. I found out through trial and error that you need a blend of flours, he says. It took me 50 times to get this dough the way I wanted it.

He got more than the dough right. All the ingredients he uses are fresh and of high quality. He makes his own mozzarella, imports extra virgin olive oil, San Marzano tomatoes, and Reggiano Parmesan. If you make pizza right, he says, it's good for you.

Liscio thinks of the crispy baked dough ìs a plate. The toppings are sauteed in olive oil and a little garlic before the pizza goes in the oven, so everything is cooked to the proper degree. The pizza on our cover, for example, starts with chicken marinated in brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, roasted garlic, and fresh rosemary. Before it goes in the oven, the pizza is dressed with slices of the grilled, marinated chicken, a light pesto (minus pinenuts) and a sprinkling of genuine Reggiano Parmesan, which Liscio calls ìthe blessing.

In sum, It's like dinner in a pan. It takes a little longer than usual to get a pizza here, but people know, and they appreciate the pies, so they call earlier. Itís about the love. When I was a kid I knew I was going to have meatballs at night because when I got up for school my mother was already frying up the meatballs before she put them in the sauce. It's the love. People ask me, Can you make it like my mother did? I say, Absolutely not. Your mother loves you a lot more than I do.

Although his mother and Italian aunts, who learned cooking in the Old Country, might be scandalized, Liscio will introduce some innovations this spring. A chocolate chip pizza for kids, which gets a scoop of ice cream when it emerges from the oven. For grownups, a mascarpone dessert pizza, which will get whipped cream and fresh berries after baking. There are a lot of young families in Hunterdon County, and they appreciate the fine dining we offer, he says, but they like to bring the kids.

NJ Monthly

So, you can see why I was interested. Anyway, I dropped in a week ago and had a Margherita and a wild mushroom. The pies were better than average, but the crust wasn't what I expected. When I asked the chef about his dough recipe, he was reluctant to give much info. Understandable, I guess. When I used the word "crackery" to describe his crust he wasn't pleased.

The next day, I went with my nephew to Miller's in Annandale. Miller's has been making great pies since the 1960's when it was called Smitty's. I ordered a plain pie and was told the woman making it was the same one who made pies when I was last there over 30 years ago. She's been there over 40 years. Bottom line..........decent pie, but again I thought the crust was "crackery".

Now I'm confused. Did NJ change from a thin, crisp, bread-like crust to this other "style"? Is my memory of great NJ pizza from 50 years ago flawed? Is the word "crackery" not an accurate description of these crusts?  I'd just like for a few folks to try these 2 places and give me their opinion.  It could just be that my own pizza is just way better than anything I try "out".   ::)  Art   

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 05:19:22 PM »
The later is probably the case Art.
I too find the crackery Places in NJ my local is Kinchleys Tavern in Mahwah (do a search) is also crackery but the people line up to get into this Cash only? shrine Nellies former chef of Kinchleys also cracker like but both delicious. I know they must sheet if not using a par bake from somewhere they come out really fat when ordered. Te problem with these pies is I can eat a slice in 1 bite? wheres the beef?
Fellow Jersian making a heafty chicago this weekend have you see any of thes besides uno in NJ?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:29:46 PM »
If thats the place off of rt22 going east towards NYC in the strip of stores with the Post Office in the back
of it....
I don't think the pizza is any better then anyones elses.
As for their Heros.
I think they have 2 sizes
The Veal is ok and so is the meat ball heros.
they put little chesse on the heros,and when you ask for extra chesse you will be charged for it,but they will put little if any extra on it......JT

Offline Art

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 09:15:35 PM »
If thats the place off of rt22 going east towards NYC in the strip of stores with the Post Office in the back
of it....
I don't think the pizza is any better then anyones elses.
As for their Heros.
I think they have 2 sizes
The Veal is ok and so is the meat ball heros.
they put little chesse on the heros,and when you ask for extra chesse you will be charged for it,but they will put little if any extra on it......JT

It's not on 22, it's on Main St. in the town of Whitehouse Station in a building that used to be the post office.   Art

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 11:18:26 PM »
The original NJ Monthly article also cites Tacconelli’s  "serves thin-crust, wood-fired pies" in southern NJ.If you look at Tacconelli’s website it clearly shows that they use a gas fired oven.A poorly researched article IMO and typical of journalists / critics who do not know the subject matter.Sadly we are too often pointed in the wrong direction by misinformation.As for the style at Whitehouse Station ,I can't comment,but if Pete $ Eldas popularity is anything to go by,then the folks in NJ have certainly taken the cracker style crust to heart and have no particular discernable taste as far as Pizza styles go.Then again I'm thinking of all the places that are continuously mentioned in the NJ "best of " lists.....Pete $ Eldas,Vics,Kinchleys,Feds,Sciortinos etc. etc.
I wouldn't cross a one way street for any of them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:19:59 PM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 12:24:43 AM »
Not wishing to drive any traffic away,but there is a well written article with some nice photos over here regarding some central NJ pizzerias:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14491&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 07:07:51 AM »
David,

I believe the same write-up appears right here on the forum, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5386.msg45512.html#msg45512, but with a link to the website you referenced for the photos.

Peter