Author Topic: Two stone method -- still the best or better methods found?  (Read 2651 times)

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

Two stone method -- still the best or better methods found?
« on: January 03, 2005, 11:22:57 PM »
I read Steve's two stone method (cooking with two pizza stones and transfering the pizza to the top one half way) on the Artisan's website a while a go. Today, I finally bought a second stone.  ;D

Steve, the last time I read, you were using one stone and tricking your oven to over heat by opening the door. Are you still using the two stone method? If so, why and why not?

Since it's not much talked about anymore, I'm just trying to get an idea if it's still a good technique or better ones have been found. I tried searching on the forum by couldn't find threads which discussed the original method. If anyone can post a link on the details (I've already read the Artisan's page), it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

Re:Two stone method -- still the best or better methods found?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 05:18:19 AM »
Well, I'll reply to myself.

Tonight I used Steve's two stone method. 3 minutes on the bottom stone, 2 minutes on the top with grill on. The results were, in one word -- sensational.

The bottom crust has a dark brown tan very similar to the rendering of a wood fire oven. The top is crust is crispy and brown, give it another 30 seconds it would have been charred. Taste was just like a wood fire oven except for the wood fire taste dimension. The crust was crispy and inside still soft. Brilliant.

Until I hear of a better method -- all my future pizzas will be cooked this way!

In case you're wondering why I don't have a picture -- it's because the pizza was eaten wayy too quickly!  :o

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Two stone method -- still the best or better methods found?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 07:29:22 AM »
Instead of two stones, I simply moved my single stone to the second-from-the-top rack. I pre-heat the oven for an hour, then, when the pizza hits the stone, I turn on the broiler. You have to be careful or the top will cook faster than the bottom.  :)

I'm glad to hear that you're having good results with my two-stone method!  :D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Two stone method -- still the best or better methods found?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 10:00:15 AM »
JF,

I assume that when you use the term "grill" that is the term used in Australia for our "broiler". Is that correct?

I have tried using two stones on adjacent oven racks to achieve a more confined baking space (I baked the pizza on the lower stone) but I didn't see any noticeable improvement (although I suspect that the two stones in combination provide better heat stability). Also, with the two stones so close to each other, I had a hard time seeing (through the glass in my oven door) exactly what was happening to the pizza as it was baking.

I will have to try your approach and also the one Steve has been using.

Peter

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 10:22:55 AM »
Pete, by grill I mean the top heating element of the oven on max, when it glows mighty red.

Steve, I tried the stone on all four racks of my oven and none produced the crust in the same way the two stone method did. Maybe my dough has improved but I just can't imagine a single stone achieving the deep brown tan effect for the bottom crust, even with sugar. And didn't you say something about 2 stones helping to reduce temperature swings?  ;)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 10:43:42 AM »
JF,

Steve can elaborate further if he wishes, but he posted the following under the Pizza Oven Physics thread:

"The purpose of the top stone is to prevent temperature swings. When the door to the oven is opened and the pizza slid in, the oven temperature will drop 100F instantly, mostly from the top of the oven chamber. So, this alone puts the pizza at a disadvantage. The top stone will still be radiating heat and will help minimize the temperature swing."

Peter

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 08:46:27 AM »
Tonight's two stone simulation of brick/wood oven is below. This one was the result of a 60 second broil. Another 10 seconds and it would have been toast. You really got to watch the clock by the second when doing broil!

I have one question: how do you guys do your sausages? I buy hot Italian sausages and squeeze out little balls of meat out of them. But everytime they come out pale and never crispen. How do you get that dark and crispy texture?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 08:57:05 AM by JF_Aidan_Pryde »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 04:15:36 PM »
I ran across this post that no one answered.  The most of us precook the sausage for American and New York style pizzas.
Hope this is not to late.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 09:58:05 AM »
I have moved my stone to the middle, preheat the oven at 550 for 30 then change to broil for about 10 minutes.  I put the pizza in and in about 5 minutes it comes out real nice.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

pizzapan