Author Topic: What does the dough in the container pic tell me?  (Read 418 times)

Offline adletson

What does the dough in the container pic tell me?
« on: March 18, 2014, 10:39:02 PM »
So I have seen lots of posts with pics of the dough in the container it proofed in and I still have no idea what I'm looking for. Here's a dough I mixed Sunday and put straight in the fridge. It's got 1/3 tsp IDY. What exactly am I looking for? Any guidance is much appreciated.

Offline wahoo88

Re: What does the dough in the container pic tell me?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 11:03:23 PM »
Others more experienced will hopefully comment, but in my opinion, that doughball is ready to bake. When people look at the bottom of the dough, they are just looking to see how many/ how big the bubbles are. Also, if I had to guess, I would say that your doughball has about doubled in size. Note that a few large 'bubbles' often appear immediately that are just the bottom of the doughball not being completely sealed and opening up slightly. I tend to underferment and then speed up fermentation just prior to bake, so several of the photos I have posted saying "ready-to-bake" are slightly inaccurate, as I take the pictures before the final tempering.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 11:45:13 PM »
Others more experienced will hopefully comment, but in my opinion, that doughball is ready to bake. When people look at the bottom of the dough, they are just looking to see how many/ how big the bubbles are. Also, if I had to guess, I would say that your doughball has about doubled in size. Note that a few large 'bubbles' often appear immediately that are just the bottom of the doughball not being completely sealed and opening up slightly. I tend to underferment and then speed up fermentation just prior to bake, so several of the photos I have posted saying "ready-to-bake" are slightly inaccurate, as I take the pictures before the final tempering.
Good calls. That dough is 'bout ready...will get lot more action in it's next 12 hrs.

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 07:39:20 AM »
You could use it now and get decent results, but I'd personally let it go a bit longer in the fridge. You also want to time it correctly so when you pull from the fridge for it's final warm-up, you don't end up over-fermented. With this dough, I'd be comfortable letting it sit at room temperature for 3-4hrs.

Josh

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 08:33:26 AM »

ADLetson.

I don't know if you ever read about the “poppy seed trick”.  The poppy seed trick is a simple way of determining how much a dough has expanded during fermenation.  The poppy seed trick does have some limitations, but it can be helpful.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6914.0.html I have used the poppy seed trick different times.

Your dough looks ready to be baked to me.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline adletson

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
re: norma 427

That poppy seed trick is genious!  I had seen it referenced around here but didn't know the science behind it.

When you say it is ready to be baked, what makes you say that?  I'm trying to learn what exactly it is that I am looking for.  wahoo88 said earlier that I should be looking for bubble formation, but how many?  I can tell that all of you that are much more experienced than myself are seeing something that I am not.  Help me Obi-Wan!   :D

re: JD

What clues you in to the amount of time that you would let it do it's final warm-up?

Thanks guys! It's like pizza university around here...without tuition!  :chef: :pizza:

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 10:11:10 AM »
Adletson,

those bubbles are a great indicator of readiness.  now that you're paying attention to them you'll soon know exactly what they tell you.  if you make 3 or 4 dough balls and try them over several days you'll know what your target is by the one you like best. that one looks about right to me.   
bill

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
re: norma 427
re: JD

What clues you in to the amount of time that you would let it do it's final warm-up?

It's a matter of personal preference, which as you can see even in this thread everyone has a different opinion.

For me, it's the size & quantity of the bubbles a few hours before I plan to make the pizza. You have a lot of tiny bubbles which for my tastes means you can go a few more hours in the fridge, or do a somewhat longer warm-up. I personally like a short warm-up period of 1hr or so, a colder dough is a bit stronger and easier to work with. You don't want it too cold though or it will hinder your oven spring capabilities.

Again, this is just my preference from a lot of trial and error, and you may fall on a different approach.  It also depends on the pizza you make, I wouldn't want a cold dough if making Neapolitan, for example.
Josh

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »

When you say it is ready to be baked, what makes you say that?  I'm trying to learn what exactly it is that I am looking for. 

ADLetson,

There are different opinions, but I look for a least a doubling in the dough.  I look for bubbles on the bottom of the dough ball and also bubbles along the sides of a container.  Different doughs can ferment differently.  After you watch for a little I think you will about know when your dough balls are ready to be baked.  Even if dough balls get a couple of bubbles on the top of the dough ball they can be pinched shut and that dough ball is still okay to use.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »
Adletson, I feel that it is less about looking for something specific in terms of bubbles and more about getting it right once and then trying to hit the same level of bubble formation. For example, if I defined the length of my arm as a new unit, wahooArmLengths, I couldn't tell anybody anything useful by measuring in wahooArmLengths, but the unit itself is consistent. If I wanted to draw something of some certain length, and through trial and error I find that length to be 2 wahooArmLengths, I can use that unit effectively by drawing it 2 wahooArmLengths every time even though others still cannot use the unit. I don't think that you need to use a 'unit' that others can convert to, just be consistent.  Sorry for a long-winded way of expressing a simple thought.

pizzapan