Author Topic: BBQ/buffalo chicken  (Read 418 times)

Offline Seven

BBQ/buffalo chicken
« on: May 11, 2014, 02:10:10 PM »
I had some leftover sous vide chicken breasts so I decided to try my first chicken pies. The first used Sweet Baby Rays barbecue sauce as the base and the second one used a mixture of crystal hot sauce and brown sugar. The chicken was cooked at 145 degrees and was ridiculously moist and tender and chicken-y. Don't think I can ever eat chicken made any other way.

Both were baked on an aluminum plate for 4 minutes at 525. The second pizza seemed to bake much better than the first. I guess the plate either super heated from the broiler or simply had more time to fully saturate.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
Re: BBQ/buffalo chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:54:48 PM »
Ever tried pulling the meat off a chicken wing to use as a topping.....skin and all??  Chicken breast just doesn't do it for me......the boneless wing meat is much more succulent than breast meat....and the skin crisps up nicely in a bake.......

Offline Seven

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:12:22 AM »
Ever tried pulling the meat off a chicken wing to use as a topping.....skin and all??  Chicken breast just doesn't do it for me......the boneless wing meat is much more succulent than breast meat....and the skin crisps up nicely in a bake.......

No but I love dark meat! I have around 8 pounds of wings in the freezer so I'll have to try this soon. Fortunately, this breast meat was only cooked to 145 degrees so it was still pretty moist after the bake. Not so much after a reheat though.

Just realized that I need to clean my camera lens... these pictures are a bit blurry  :-\

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 11:35:34 AM »
If you like dark meat, then i think this will be a hit.  With the meat and the skin pulled and then tossed with buffalo sauce....it tastes real close to plain ole buff wings.......I know it sounds weird, but when i make two pies, one with breast meat and the other with WING OR THIGH meat along with the skin........it wins hands down with most people. If your oven is real hot then skin crisps up a bit, blackens around the edges and really adds another dimension.

Hope you like it!

pizzapan