Author Topic: Reinhart' Neo-Neapolitan  (Read 9158 times)

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
Re: Reinhart' Neo-Neapolitan
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 11:15:35 PM »
Reading more about steel composition my web research backs you up and shows that stainless steel is similar to other grades except for a higher percentage of chromium.  I learn something new every day.

This will be a fun experiment ;D  One more question for you before I make an order: My convection oven isn't as deep as my standard oven due to the convection fan and element taking up space in the rear of the oven.  I'd guess the max plate width in this oven would be 13 inches, which is fine for my pies, but considering my goal is to obtain Neapolitan charring, what are your thoughts on using convection with the steel plate?  If I got a smaller plate I could run experiments in both ovens, but if convection isn't optimal then it would be nice to have a larger plate for flexibility.  Buying two plates is probably out of the question for now; my wife doesn't quite share my enthusiasm for pizza making so its best not to load up the ovens with too many 40 lb plates for her to maneuver  :P

Offline scott123

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 12:35:26 AM »
Johnamus, convection will encourage more even browning on longer baked American style pizzas, but, for NY and Neapolitan, it doesn't serve any real purpose. Also, the plate has to be bigger than the pizza, giving you a target to hit when launching, so a 13" plate can really only accommodate a 12" pizza, and, for Neapolitan, imo, that's a bit puny. Neapolitan should be close to 14" and NY, a minimum of 16". As you go smaller, you really mess with the crust to sauce/cheese ratio.  I recommend sizing the plate for your main oven and nixing the convection feature completely.

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 10:01:38 PM »
Scott, I baked a pie tonight on my thin cast iron pizza "stone".  I warmed the oven to 585 and put the dough in for a pre-bake.  I then took the pie out and turned the broiler on while I dressed the pie with toppings.  I returned the pie to the oven where it remained under the broiler for the remainder of the bake.  Here's my question: The bottom of my pie was much more charred than the top, does this indicate that my "stone" temperature is fine and that I should concentrate on increasing the top temperature?  If that's the case then perhaps I shouldn't go shopping for a steel plate quite yet.

Here's a link to the result, I started a new thread in order to avoid cluttering this one.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16379.msg159955.html#msg159955

Offline scottserena

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 10:59:39 AM »
I made 6 pizzas last night with this formula. I hit it with about 1 oz of my starter per pie just for flavor. 24 hour cold ferment.
They took much longer to bake then I expected. At 550 degrees took about 12 minutes.

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »
Here's a quick 16" white pie with spinach and cheddar (out of mozzarella) using Reinhart's Neo-Neapolitan recipe.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
Looking through the manual it looks like I can increase the temperature by 35.  Are there any other easy adjustments I can make?

I just ran across this old post, and wanted to know if you did get to 585 degrees by adjusting your thermostat as shown - I have a GE Profile as well, but the upper oven is smaller. Were you able to verify the temperature?

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=PS978STSS

I hope this adjustment works!  I'll try it myself as well.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:22:10 AM by JohnnyQuest »

pizzapan