Author Topic: AH-BEETZ  (Read 55889 times)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
Re: AH-BEETZ
« Reply #280 on: June 14, 2010, 04:55:17 PM »
I used to go for more char but my tastes have changed. I have changed my stretching technique on the 14" pies. I'm using a technique similiar to what Chris Bianco does, although I am not as fast at it yet. It doesn't work for 18" though, or at least I can't do it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:58:43 PM by tdeane »

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #281 on: June 14, 2010, 04:58:03 PM »
Terry,

Your pizzas look delicious.  :)  A great variety of toppings,also.

Norma
Thanks Norma. I should have added that the capicola is my own. ;)

brayshaw

« Reply #282 on: June 14, 2010, 05:26:26 PM »
The char/crust looks perfect Terry, I would love to see you making pizzas! I have a friend visiting Vancouver in August, are you far from there?
Cheers,

Paul

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #283 on: June 14, 2010, 05:45:40 PM »
The char/crust looks perfect Terry, I would love to see you making pizzas! I have a friend visiting Vancouver in August, are you far from there?
Cheers,

Paul
I'm about 45min drive from Vancouver. It's not a bad drive and we actually get lots of people from Vancouver that drive out for the pizza. I have to say, I can't believe how cheap you got that spiral mixer. The smallest one I can get here is $7000cdn.

parallei

« Reply #284 on: June 14, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
Those are some FINE looking pies!  I spent large parts of '95 and '96 working on a project in Vancouver.  I wish you had been there then!  Keep up the good work.....

brayshaw

« Reply #285 on: June 14, 2010, 05:54:42 PM »
I will 'make' them visit your pizza shop Terry.
I think I got a great deal with my mixer too, what are you using now?
Paul

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #286 on: June 14, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »
I will 'make' them visit your pizza shop Terry.
I think I got a great deal with my mixer too, what are you using now?
Paul
I still just have my 30qt planetary mixer so I am using a combination of that and hand mixing. I am going to get a spiral mixer as soon as I can afford one.

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #287 on: June 14, 2010, 07:48:59 PM »
Terry, your pies are fantastic looking. Can you elaborate on your new stretching technique?
Russ

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #288 on: June 14, 2010, 07:59:40 PM »
Terry, your pies are fantastic looking. Can you elaborate on your new stretching technique?
It's like what Chris is doing in this video(around 35 seconds in). It's a combination of pulling from the edges and just using gravity.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:02:11 PM by tdeane »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #289 on: June 14, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »
Terry,

Can you use Chris' method with the 18" pizzas and, if so, what are the challenges?

Peter

brayshaw

« Reply #290 on: June 15, 2010, 06:09:20 AM »
I'm about 45min drive from Vancouver. It's not a bad drive and we actually get lots of people from Vancouver that drive out for the pizza. I have to say, I can't believe how cheap you got that spiral mixer. The smallest one I can get here is $7000cdn.

That should tell you how good your pizza is Terry!
I am so jelous that my friend will be eating your pizza in August!  :pizza:

brayshaw

« Reply #291 on: June 15, 2010, 03:39:33 PM »
I used to go for more char but my tastes have changed. I have changed my stretching technique on the 14" pies. I'm using a technique similiar to what Chris Bianco does, although I am not as fast at it yet. It doesn't work for 18" though, or at least I can't do it.

Terry, what have you changed for the less charred pizzas?

Cheers,

Paul

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #292 on: June 15, 2010, 03:56:09 PM »
Terry,

Can you use Chris' method with the 18" pizzas and, if so, what are the challenges?

Peter
I've tried a few time and it doesn't seem to work for me. It's just too big.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #293 on: June 15, 2010, 04:04:38 PM »
Terry, what have you changed for the less charred pizzas?

Cheers,

Paul
Well, one thing is ths flour. The organic flour I use now doesn't char as much as the flour I used to use. You can char a pizza by moving it around in the oven onto hot spots. That's how I control the amount of char.

brayshaw

« Reply #294 on: June 15, 2010, 04:15:55 PM »
Thanks Terry, I am currently looking at a Canadian red spring flour for use.
I am sending a sample to Tom for testing.

Paul

scott123

« Reply #295 on: June 15, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »
I've tried a few time and it doesn't seem to work for me. It's just too big.

One thing you might want to play around with in that regard is dough temp. When asked about dough spinning, Chris has mentioned that it's impossible to do with his highly extensible slack doughs- UNLESS the dough is on the cold side.  Gluten will tighten up in colder environments and cause the dough to act like a lower hydration one when handled- to an extent. Really cold dough will have a propensity for tearing, but I think if it's somewhere between walk in and room temp, you might find the manageability/extensibility you're looking for.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #296 on: June 15, 2010, 04:51:10 PM »
One thing you might want to play around with in that regard is dough temp. When asked about dough spinning, Chris has mentioned that it's impossible to do with his highly extensible slack doughs- UNLESS the dough is on the cold side.  Gluten will tighten up in colder environments and cause the dough to act like a lower hydration one when handled- to an extent. Really cold dough will have a propensity for tearing, but I think if it's somewhere between walk in and room temp, you might find the manageability/extensibility you're looking for.
I'm not spinning dough. It's only possible to stretch dough in this manner if it is at room temperature.

scott123

« Reply #297 on: June 15, 2010, 05:28:05 PM »
I'm not spinning dough. It's only possible to stretch dough in this manner if it is at room temperature.

I think you misunderstood my post.  I'm not recommending spinning.  What I'm saying is that your dough might handle a little better/give you the opportunity for 18" stretches IF it's at a slightly lower temp.  I'm not guaranteeing it, but, based on Chris's comments regarding temperature and manageability, it might be worth a try. At a colder temp, in theory, the dough should be less droopy/more stretchable and act like a more traditional/lower hydration dough.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #298 on: June 15, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »

I totally agree Scott.  This is the same conclusion I came to after pondering how NY pizza guys manhandle dough and still produce a fairly tender crust.  They do it almost straight out of the cooler.

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #299 on: June 15, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »
Terry, thanks for the video.

It looks like Chris is using a form of the slap and fold technique? Its amazing to see how quickly his dough gets into final form. I think you're right that it would be harder to do this with a larger size dough ball.  He really handles the dough minimally unlike me who tends to play around with it too long. What do you think the negative effect of handling the dough too long produces?
Russ