Author Topic: AH-BEETZ  (Read 51476 times)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
Re: AH-BEETZ
« Reply #300 on: June 15, 2010, 09:57:01 PM »
I think you misunderstood my post.  I'm not recommending spinning.  What I'm saying is that your dough might handle a little better/give you the opportunity for 18" stretches IF it's at a slightly lower temp.  I'm not guaranteeing it, but, based on Chris's comments regarding temperature and manageability, it might be worth a try. At a colder temp, in theory, the dough should be less droopy/more stretchable and act like a more traditional/lower hydration dough.

I am only concerned with the finished product and I don't like the way a colder dough bakes, so I make sure my dough is at room temperature. It is easier to stretch a slightly chilled dough but it doesn't make great pizza. I should add that I have absolutely no problem stretching 18" doughs, I just use a different technique than i do for a 14". I use a technique similiar to Dom at Di Fara for 18".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEty2zxxWDk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEty2zxxWDk</a>

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #301 on: June 15, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »
I totally agree Scott.  This is the same conclusion I came to after pondering how NY pizza guys manhandle dough and still produce a fairly tender crust.  They do it almost straight out of the cooler.
I disagree. In my years of eating pizza in NY I never once saw anyone take dough out of a cooler in fact many of them don't even have walk in coolers. I think most of them just use a fairly dry dough. I could be mistaken. :-\

Online scott123

« Reply #302 on: June 15, 2010, 10:11:40 PM »
It is easier to stretch a slightly chilled dough but it doesn't make great pizza.

Terry, in what way does slightly chilled dough make inferior pizza? I haven't played around with chilled dough much myself, but, from everything I've read, slightly chilled dough is supposed to give you a little better oven spring. It also, I believe cooks, the interior of the crust a bit less and leaves more residual moisture. Are you looking for a specific amount of exterior crunch- crunch that might be mitigated by cooler dough?

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #303 on: June 15, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »
Terry, in what way does slightly chilled dough make inferior pizza? I haven't played around with chilled dough much myself, but, from everything I've read, slightly chilled dough is supposed to give you a little better oven spring. It also, I believe cooks, the interior of the crust a bit less and leaves more residual moisture. Are you looking for a specific amount of exterior crunch- crunch that might be mitigated by cooler dough?
For me, chilled dough has less oven spring and very little rise and produces a more heavy and leathery crust. I'm looking for a light crispiness with nice chewy interior which is simply not possible with cold dough. I like an organic, rustic, wild looking crust vs a flat uniform crust that you get with cold dough.

Online scott123

« Reply #304 on: June 16, 2010, 01:09:35 AM »
Less oven spring, really?  I've only done one or two colder than room temp doughs, and I didn't notice that, but I'll look closer next time.  And I'll also pay closer to attention to uniformity. I, too, enjoy a certain amount of character in my crusts.

Offline NYN8IVE

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #305 on: June 17, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »
I will be in Vancouver in July, do you have a web site? Always looking for "Real Pizza" in my travels. Last month I visited Grimaldis in Scottsdale, not bad but Patsy's in East Harlem is still the best Coal Fired Pizza.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:58:28 PM by NYN8IVE »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #306 on: June 17, 2010, 08:59:43 PM »
Terry,

Not to go off topic but how was your trip to SF? I was hoping to meet you but I guess you were busy checking out some food places  ;D

Great pics, btw.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #307 on: June 17, 2010, 11:42:49 PM »
I will be in Vancouver in July, do you have a web site? Always looking for "Real Pizza" in my travels. Last month I visited Grimaldis in Scottsdale, not bad but Patsy's in East Harlem is still the best Coal Fired Pizza.
My website is www.ah-beetz.ca

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #308 on: June 17, 2010, 11:55:18 PM »
Terry,

Not to go off topic but how was your trip to SF? I was hoping to meet you but I guess you were busy checking out some food places  ;D

Great pics, btw.
Yeah, I was looking forward to meeting you too but our trip was so short it didn't work out. I love San Francisco but I didn't get to eat at any of the places I wanted to. Our hotel was right across the street from Tommy's joint so we went there late the first night. Not my cup of tea. What do you think? The best part was that our hotel was next a great bar. It's called "Koko", do yo know it? You just don't get bars like that in Vancouver so it really made the trip worth while. We had good burritos in the Mission district and I got a "Nacho Libre" mask which also makes the trip worth while :-D . We will definitely be going back soon because we loved it there and the trip was WAY too short.

Online scott123

« Reply #309 on: June 18, 2010, 12:38:16 AM »
My website is www.ah-beetz.ca

I'm not sure if this was posted here, but I was looking through your review section and found this video from last fall:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKWzut6hm8&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKWzut6hm8&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>

Besides emulating some of their toppings, are you emulating DiFara's limited output as well? :)  You're really pouring over everything just like Dom does.  I guess perfection can't be rushed, right?

Offline s00da

« Reply #310 on: June 18, 2010, 01:02:59 AM »
I like an organic, rustic, wild looking crust vs a flat uniform crust that you get with cold dough.

do you have to use direct dough method to make cold dough? the look of the finished pie is a result of the balling and stretching technique&procedure.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #311 on: June 19, 2010, 01:27:49 AM »
I'm not sure if this was posted here, but I was looking through your review section and found this video from last fall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKWzut6hm8&feature=player_embedded

Besides emulating some of their toppings, are you emulating DiFara's limited output as well? :)  You're really pouring over everything just like Dom does.  I guess perfection can't be rushed, right?

That video was taken a long time ago. I do things pretty differently now.

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #312 on: June 19, 2010, 12:09:10 PM »
That video was taken a long time ago. I do things pretty differently now.

I can attest. His new method for stretching dough, for example, can be seen here.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA1bv7k0uHg&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA1bv7k0uHg&amp;feature=related</a>

;D
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #313 on: June 19, 2010, 07:53:40 PM »
Yeah, I was looking forward to meeting you too but our trip was so short it didn't work out. I love San Francisco but I didn't get to eat at any of the places I wanted to. Our hotel was right across the street from Tommy's joint so we went there late the first night. Not my cup of tea. What do you think? The best part was that our hotel was next a great bar. It's called "Koko", do yo know it? You just don't get bars like that in Vancouver so it really made the trip worth while. We had good burritos in the Mission district and I got a "Nacho Libre" mask which also makes the trip worth while :-D . We will definitely be going back soon because we loved it there and the trip was WAY too short.

I used to love Tommy's. It's a Hofbrau kind of thing. Food's good, not great but reasonably priced. You should try their Buffalo stew on your next trip, though.

I have never been to Koko's so I can not really say anything about them. In regards to the Mission, lots of new restaurants have opened their in the last couple of years, including numerous new pizza places. If you love authentic mexican food, the Mission's the place to go.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Aldo

« Reply #314 on: November 08, 2010, 01:27:09 AM »
Dude Terry!  Just saw your YouTube video!  Sadly, I'm far enough away that I cannot get across the border to see your place and try your pie, but maybe someday!  It looks great!  I imagine you have the Canucks on the tube while you're making pies!  How's it going?  Hey, I want to thank you for sharing so much of your time with us all.  I, for one, wish you all the best!

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #315 on: November 10, 2010, 02:38:28 AM »
Some news, first of all, my Mom(Barabara Deane) died Sunday night after a two year battle with cancer. She was only 62!

Secondly, I am selling ah-Beetz in Abbotsford so I can open a place in Vancouver. I am planning on ordering a Stefano Ferrara oven from Naples. The menu will be simple with probably just a few antpasti, a couple of insalate, 6-8 pizze and a few desserts. I am going to name the restaurant after my Mom. It will be called "Pizzeria Barbarella".

PaulsPizza

« Reply #316 on: November 10, 2010, 04:39:36 AM »
Very sorry to hear that Terry. I'm sure everyone here will be thinking of you guys.

I wish you the very best in setting up in Vancouver, I doubt very much that the new owners of Ah-beetz will churn out pies that match the quality you serve from there.

All the best,

Paul

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #317 on: November 10, 2010, 07:45:24 AM »
my condolences... best of luck in VANCOUVER !
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #318 on: November 10, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »
Terry,

Sorry to hear about your motherís passing.  Best of luck in your new adventure.  It sounds exciting.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #319 on: November 10, 2010, 10:49:05 AM »
Terry,

I, too, am sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure that will inspire you to achieve even greater success with your new venture.

Peter

pizzapan