Author Topic: AH-BEETZ  (Read 57112 times)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
AH-BEETZ
« on: December 19, 2008, 03:38:39 AM »
Hi All,
I am a chef and pizzaiolo that has recently moved back to BC and am opening a pizzeria in Abbotsford. It is called AH-BEETZ and it is the only authentic New York style pizza in BC. I use a wild yeast culture for my dough in lieu of commercial yeast and the freshest/best ingredients available to me. I use BC made Scardillo mozzarella(which is the best and freshest you can find), BC milled flour, pepperoni & chorizo made just for me by a great BC sausage maker and my own house made Italian fennel sausage. Nothing is ever frozen! Actually, thefirst thing I did when I bought the place was throw out the freezer. The dough is made with a 2 day cold/slow rise technique and a wild yeast culture which greatly increases the flavor and complexity of the crust. The pizzas are baked directly on the hearth of the oven at high temperatures to achieve the appropriate char on the crust. I am also doing a couple of salads including my own caesar which does not lack of garlic and anchovy and chicken wings. Fresh wings, not the frozen wings that most of BC's restaurants serve. Real Buffalo sauce , made with real butter and Frank's Red Hot! The way the original Buffalo wing was made. Eventually I want to add pastas, calzones and zepole.We open on Monday the 22nd( a soft opening) but we are hoping to have an opening party soon. I hope to see some chowhounders there! Terry Deane

This is my recent post on Chowhound. We are opening on Monday and I am very excited a bout it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 09:40:45 AM by tdeane »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: AH-BEETZ
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:04:17 AM »
Terry,

Sounds like you have all the bases covered. I hope your new venture is a smashing success. Please keep us informed. I have just emailed some foodie friends who live in Vancouver about your new place. Looking forward to hearing their impressions.

Congratulations!

Bill/SFNM

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 09:19:49 AM »
Terry,

Break a leg. :chef:

Peter

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 09:52:04 AM »
Congratulations and best of luck.

Michael
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 11:15:05 AM »
Go Tdeane,
Wishing you much success! Next time I go skiing in that beautiful place I will look you up.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 11:24:52 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Fingerstyle

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
Congrats Terry! Sounds like my kind of place. I'll send my Bellingham friends your way.

Best regards,

Vic
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 12:21:16 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 03:56:51 PM »
Terry - Sounds like you have an awesome combination of things going on for your new venture. Best of Luck!!  Love to see some pics if you ever get some free time to share.

:)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 08:19:55 PM »
Terry - Sounds like you have an awesome combination of things going on for your new venture. Best of Luck!!  Love to see some pics if you ever get some free time to share.

I keep meaning to take some but always forget my camera. I'll try tomorrow.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 09:47:53 PM »
I really like the name you picked out for your place, but it must be new to the folks in BC. I'm in CT and heard ah beetz my whole life, but not so much now. Mostly from my parents and grandparents, who spoke Italian with some "adjustments". Do people ask you about where that name came from?

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 10:17:53 PM »
I really like the name you picked out for your place, but it must be new to the folks in BC. I'm in CT and heard ah beetz my whole life, but not so much now. Mostly from my parents and grandparents, who spoke Italian with some "adjustments". Do people ask you about where that name came from?

Yeah, almost everyone asks but a few have known what it is.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 10:26:43 PM »
I took some pics today.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 10:28:29 PM »
some more

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 11:34:40 PM »
Pizza looks great! Best of luck.

PNW

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 01:41:11 AM »
Well, weather has kept me closed for a couple of days. I am getting my menus printed up tomorrow. What do you guys think of this. I am adding a pizza called the DiFara which in brackets I call my tribute to Dom Demarco and has pepperoni, artichoke hearts, tomato sauce, aged mozzarella, fior di latte, lots of fresh basil, lots of grana padano & lots of extra virgin olive oil(I include the word lots on the menu). Does that sound like a fitting tribute?

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 02:55:03 AM »
"I am adding a pizza called the DiFara which in brackets I call my tribute to Dom Demarco"

As a former owner of a retail food business as well as other businesses I can tell you that you should play to your local audience. Who in your part of the world is going to know DiFara/Demarco? You will know it, but you are not a paying customer. Pick local celebrities or places, national icons, etc. to individualize what you sell.  A great example of this  was a sandwich shop in Providence Rhode Island that catered to Brown U & RISD, http://www.providencenightlife.net/restaurants/geoffs/

I still remember the food from over 30 years ago and I only ate at the place twice on my visit! The names stuck with me. I saw a great concert including Santana & others and barely remember anything but the Turkey sandwich.

PNW

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 03:06:56 AM »
"I am adding a pizza called the DiFara which in brackets I call my tribute to Dom Demarco"

As a former owner of a retail food business as well as other businesses I can tell you that you should play to your local audience. Who in your part of the world is going to know DiFara/Demarco? You will know it, but you are not a paying customer. Pick local celebrities or places, national icons, etc. to individualize what you sell.  A great example of this was a sandwich shop in Providence Rhode Island that catered to Brown U & RISD, http://www.providencenightlife.net/restaurants/geoffs/

I still remember the food from over 30 years ago and I only ate at the place twice on my visit! The names stuck with me. I saw a great concert including Santana & others and barely remember anything but the Turkey sandwich.

PNW
That's what google is for. I was asking more in terms of ingredients not whether or not I should honor Dom.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 03:19:28 AM by tdeane »

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 10:47:54 PM »
Hey guys, I took some better photos of the sort of pizza I'm doing at ah-Beetz. These pies were baked at about 660 degrees. They are all 18" pizzas made from a 22.5 oz dough ball and I used the Camaldoli starter. I used Stanislaus tomatoes, Rogers Silver Star flour and an amazing locally made aged mozzarella. They also make the best fior di latte i have ever tried and I can get it the same day or next day it is made so i am going to start using that as well. Actually the aged mozzarella that I used on these pizzas today was packaged last Friday. It is exciting to have such a great cheesemaker just 40 minute drive away. The pepperoni and chorizo were made just for me by a great sausage maker in town. Nice small pepperoni that cups nicely and the chorizo is completely dry cured.

Offline Andx0r

• Your Mega-Host
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 12:10:19 AM »
chorizo, artichoke, and onion?

DO WANT!

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 10:26:30 AM »
Terry-
The pies look perfect! Thanks for sharing all the photos and info. I wish there was pizza of that caliber near me!

Chris