Author Topic: AH-BEETZ  (Read 51316 times)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
Re: AH-BEETZ
« Reply #240 on: February 02, 2010, 03:20:18 AM »
Once again, you prove that you truly rock!  You are so kind, so generous, so creative, so inspiring.  Thank you so much for all your thoughts on this blog.  As for the new pizza, it looks pretty neat.  How's that cheese combo?  Is it a good texture?  The cheese toward the middle looks like it might be a little gooey -- how does it taste?  Oh, and I like that truffle oil idea.  Brandy, I'm not sure.  But definitely worth the experimentation.  Frankly, your creativity is a magnificent asset.  That combintion is really interesting.  Wish I could try it -- looks really good!
The cheese combination was really good. Creaminess of the fresh mozzarella combined with the sharpness of the asiago definitely worked. It wasn't gooey at all.

Offline Aldo

« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2010, 11:45:23 PM »
Cool!  I will go try some Asiago -- as usual, you are za man!

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #242 on: February 10, 2010, 03:05:25 AM »
I am trying a new flour this week. An organic Canadian hard red spring wheat flour by Anita's Organics which is a local company. Protein is around 13.5%. I made dough today and it seemed to be very wet for 64% hydration. I'll let you know how it works out.

Offline s00da

« Reply #243 on: February 10, 2010, 11:34:53 AM »
Hi Terry, I also tried an organic bread flour a while ago and I didn't like the results much. It couldn't absorb much of water, not much fermentation expansion or oven spring and the crust had a lot of sweetness to it!

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2010, 01:13:20 AM »
Has anyone else tried organic four? I have heard that Chris Bianco uses an organic high protein 00 flour. Anyone have any idea why the dough was so wet?

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2010, 01:02:07 PM »
Ive tested organic here in Brazil... my results were very different... the dough was dry, i added more water... around 66% to get the same results i get whit 60-61%.... ??? ???
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Crider

« Reply #246 on: February 11, 2010, 03:55:01 PM »
I've heard that hard spring wheat is supposed to taste pretty good. Most high-protein flours are usually winter wheat. I'm not surprised that your hydration needs are different. Also, organic flours usually don't have that small amount of malted barley flour like conventional does, so your browning may be different, too.

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #247 on: February 12, 2010, 10:56:41 PM »
Tdeanne,
Chris uses organic all purpose from Giusto. I have an idea why it is so hydrated and I will be testing it as soon as the weather gets better so I can use my WBO, right now I cannot comment on it. :)

Offline Matthew

« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2010, 06:51:11 AM »
Tdeanne,
Chris uses organic all purpose from Giusto. I have an idea why it is so hydrated and I will be testing it as soon as the weather gets better so I can use my WBO, right now I cannot comment on it. :)

There'a a little more to it than that as noted in Reply#90 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,389.80.html
Are you unwilling to comment because you don't know or you prefer not to share?

Matt

brayshaw

« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »
Hey Terry,
I have a couple of questions for you and any other experts out there... 1) I think you have said before that you use a blend of 50/50 bread and '00' flour, what does adding the 00 add to the finished pizza? 2) I use a strong bread flour, 58-62% water, 2% salt and 0.5% idy and I bake on a stone in my oven at 220 degrees C and then finish under the broiler. I have noticed lately that even though my crust has colour it never has crunch (always just soft and chewy like bread ) any tips?
That's why I asked about the 50/50 blend.. Thank you all for your time.

Paul

Offline scott123

« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2010, 02:31:58 PM »
Terry, I'm curious, are you still around 64% hydration, 700 F oven and about the same amount of char that you had when you opened?  If so, what's your baking time? I have a 3 minute, 65% hydration, 600 F oven pie that's got a similar amount of char and I'd like to see how my stone/oven stacks up. My flour is definitely higher protein than your blend, but it would be nice to know for reference.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #251 on: February 21, 2010, 11:30:46 PM »
Terry, I'm curious, are you still around 64% hydration, 700 F oven and about the same amount of char that you had when you opened?  If so, what's your baking time? I have a 3 minute, 65% hydration, 600 F oven pie that's got a similar amount of char and I'd like to see how my stone/oven stacks up. My flour is definitely higher protein than your blend, but it would be nice to know for reference.
I have changed the hydration of my dough many times to adapt to different flours and weather etc.. I was at just under 66% for most of the last year but dropped it down to around 64% in the summer. Just after last Christmas I started blending my strong bread flour with Caputo 00 flour so I had to lower the hydration to compensate and it seemed that about 62% was the magic number to handle like my 66% all bread flour dough. This reduced the amount of char but also reduced the browning of the crust which I did not like. I have recently switched to an organic bread flour(13-13.5% protein) that has changed everything. It doesn't char as much as my original flour but it still browns very nicely. I had to reduce the hydration to 61% and it's still a wet dough. Everything about the organic flour is superior to the other 2 flours I have used.
To answer your other question, I've never baked a pie in 3 min in my oven. Usually between 4-7 minutes, depending on what's on it of course.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2010, 11:53:22 PM »
Hey Terry,
I have a couple of questions for you and any other experts out there... 1) I think you have said before that you use a blend of 50/50 bread and '00' flour, what does adding the 00 add to the finished pizza? 2) I use a strong bread flour, 58-62% water, 2% salt and 0.5% idy and I bake on a stone in my oven at 220 degrees C and then finish under the broiler. I have noticed lately that even though my crust has colour it never has crunch (always just soft and chewy like bread ) any tips?
That's why I asked about the 50/50 blend.. Thank you all for your time.

Paul
For me, adding the 00 flour did two things. It added a nice light crispiness to the crust and it kept the crust from charring to much. The negative was it reduced browning too much(in my oven) so I have switched to an organic flour which has been great for me. I think 220 is quite a low temperature, so that may be the problem. How long do you bake for?

brayshaw

« Reply #253 on: February 22, 2010, 04:45:51 AM »
For me, adding the 00 flour did two things. It added a nice light crispiness to the crust and it kept the crust from charring to much. The negative was it reduced browning too much(in my oven) so I have switched to an organic flour which has been great for me. I think 220 is quite a low temperature, so that may be the problem. How long do you bake for?

Thanks for that Terry, 220 C is the maximum my oven will go so I am stuck with that temperature for now. What is the blend you use now, is it just bread flour or do you still mix in '00'? also are the only cheeses you use on your pizzas mozzerella and granda padano?

Thanks for your help and I say this every time I look at your pizzas but I think you are doing an amazing job there and I hope someday I will have a place producing pizzas even at a fraction of the standard that you are!

Paul
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:41:49 AM by brayshaw »

Offline Steve973

• I love brewing beer and making pizza!
« Reply #254 on: February 25, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
220C = 428F is a little low but it's not TOO bad.
"Right here, right now, from the very beginning, there is only one thing. Constantly clear and unexplained, having never been born and having never died, it cannot be named or described." - Zen Master So Sahn

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #255 on: February 25, 2010, 05:31:10 PM »
Has anyone else tried organic four? I have heard that Chris Bianco uses an organic high protein 00 flour. Anyone have any idea why the dough was so wet?

I just got in my guisto's /Central Milling  organic high gluten flour.  I found @ 62% it to be surprisingly tacky.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:32:22 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #256 on: February 25, 2010, 06:50:38 PM »
Patrick,  I forget are you on the east  coast I think?  Jersey?  gotta wonder if this monsoon that has been ripping through has anything to do with it?  I have some of his flour coming too,  but not the HG.-marc

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #257 on: February 25, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »
I just got in my guisto's /Central Milling  organic high gluten flour.  I found @ 62% it to be surprisingly tacky.
I have been working with organic flour for a couple of weeks now and 60% seems to be the right number for me. What is the protein % in your flour?

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2010, 12:12:14 PM »
Patrick,  I forget are you on the east  coast I think?  Jersey?  gotta wonder if this monsoon that has been ripping through has anything to do with it?  I have some of his flour coming too,  but not the HG.-marc

That is a good point... it definitely could be the weather.  Yes we are in NJ... just broke my back shoveling like 18 inches of snow out ha ha

terry I will ask them about the protein content.
Patrick

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2010, 06:33:06 PM »
Patrick,
So where did you get the Guistos? what about the sir Lancelot?
 I left mama at home in Jersey But hear its really bad! I am In Park City for a  boys weekend skiing and eating very bad pizza where available. I here there is  a newer wood fired in Salt Lake. may try to hit that.  Hope you have good luck with the flour
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan