Author Topic: AH-BEETZ  (Read 61852 times)

scott123

Re: AH-BEETZ
« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2010, 02:31:58 PM »
Terry, I'm curious, are you still around 64% hydration, 700 F oven and about the same amount of char that you had when you opened?  If so, what's your baking time? I have a 3 minute, 65% hydration, 600 F oven pie that's got a similar amount of char and I'd like to see how my stone/oven stacks up. My flour is definitely higher protein than your blend, but it would be nice to know for reference.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #251 on: February 21, 2010, 11:30:46 PM »
Terry, I'm curious, are you still around 64% hydration, 700 F oven and about the same amount of char that you had when you opened?  If so, what's your baking time? I have a 3 minute, 65% hydration, 600 F oven pie that's got a similar amount of char and I'd like to see how my stone/oven stacks up. My flour is definitely higher protein than your blend, but it would be nice to know for reference.
I have changed the hydration of my dough many times to adapt to different flours and weather etc.. I was at just under 66% for most of the last year but dropped it down to around 64% in the summer. Just after last Christmas I started blending my strong bread flour with Caputo 00 flour so I had to lower the hydration to compensate and it seemed that about 62% was the magic number to handle like my 66% all bread flour dough. This reduced the amount of char but also reduced the browning of the crust which I did not like. I have recently switched to an organic bread flour(13-13.5% protein) that has changed everything. It doesn't char as much as my original flour but it still browns very nicely. I had to reduce the hydration to 61% and it's still a wet dough. Everything about the organic flour is superior to the other 2 flours I have used.
To answer your other question, I've never baked a pie in 3 min in my oven. Usually between 4-7 minutes, depending on what's on it of course.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2010, 11:53:22 PM »
Hey Terry,
I have a couple of questions for you and any other experts out there... 1) I think you have said before that you use a blend of 50/50 bread and '00' flour, what does adding the 00 add to the finished pizza? 2) I use a strong bread flour, 58-62% water, 2% salt and 0.5% idy and I bake on a stone in my oven at 220 degrees C and then finish under the broiler. I have noticed lately that even though my crust has colour it never has crunch (always just soft and chewy like bread ) any tips?
That's why I asked about the 50/50 blend.. Thank you all for your time.

Paul
For me, adding the 00 flour did two things. It added a nice light crispiness to the crust and it kept the crust from charring to much. The negative was it reduced browning too much(in my oven) so I have switched to an organic flour which has been great for me. I think 220 is quite a low temperature, so that may be the problem. How long do you bake for?

brayshaw

« Reply #253 on: February 22, 2010, 04:45:51 AM »
For me, adding the 00 flour did two things. It added a nice light crispiness to the crust and it kept the crust from charring to much. The negative was it reduced browning too much(in my oven) so I have switched to an organic flour which has been great for me. I think 220 is quite a low temperature, so that may be the problem. How long do you bake for?

Thanks for that Terry, 220 C is the maximum my oven will go so I am stuck with that temperature for now. What is the blend you use now, is it just bread flour or do you still mix in '00'? also are the only cheeses you use on your pizzas mozzerella and granda padano?

Thanks for your help and I say this every time I look at your pizzas but I think you are doing an amazing job there and I hope someday I will have a place producing pizzas even at a fraction of the standard that you are!

Paul
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:41:49 AM by brayshaw »

Offline Steve973

• I love brewing beer and making pizza!
« Reply #254 on: February 25, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
220C = 428F is a little low but it's not TOO bad.
"Right here, right now, from the very beginning, there is only one thing. Constantly clear and unexplained, having never been born and having never died, it cannot be named or described." - Zen Master So Sahn

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #255 on: February 25, 2010, 05:31:10 PM »
Has anyone else tried organic four? I have heard that Chris Bianco uses an organic high protein 00 flour. Anyone have any idea why the dough was so wet?

I just got in my guisto's /Central Milling  organic high gluten flour.  I found @ 62% it to be surprisingly tacky.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:32:22 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #256 on: February 25, 2010, 06:50:38 PM »
Patrick,  I forget are you on the east  coast I think?  Jersey?  gotta wonder if this monsoon that has been ripping through has anything to do with it?  I have some of his flour coming too,  but not the HG.-marc

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #257 on: February 25, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »
I just got in my guisto's /Central Milling  organic high gluten flour.  I found @ 62% it to be surprisingly tacky.
I have been working with organic flour for a couple of weeks now and 60% seems to be the right number for me. What is the protein % in your flour?

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2010, 12:12:14 PM »
Patrick,  I forget are you on the east  coast I think?  Jersey?  gotta wonder if this monsoon that has been ripping through has anything to do with it?  I have some of his flour coming too,  but not the HG.-marc

That is a good point... it definitely could be the weather.  Yes we are in NJ... just broke my back shoveling like 18 inches of snow out ha ha

terry I will ask them about the protein content.
Patrick

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2010, 06:33:06 PM »
Patrick,
So where did you get the Guistos? what about the sir Lancelot?
 I left mama at home in Jersey But hear its really bad! I am In Park City for a  boys weekend skiing and eating very bad pizza where available. I here there is  a newer wood fired in Salt Lake. may try to hit that.  Hope you have good luck with the flour
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »
Patrick,
So where did you get the Guistos? what about the sir Lancelot?
 I left mama at home in Jersey But hear its really bad! I am In Park City for a  boys weekend skiing and eating very bad pizza where available. I here there is  a newer wood fired in Salt Lake. may try to hit that.  Hope you have good luck with the flour
John

No good pizza in Park City? Yes we got dumped on yesterday!

I ordered the flour from www.centralmilling.com.  We'll still try the KASL but I ran out of the bread flour and wanted to try something.  They were able to ship it to me while I was snowed in :)
Patrick

brayshaw

« Reply #261 on: March 03, 2010, 06:20:34 AM »
can anone tell me how much salt you add when making fresh mozzarella? if you had 1lb of mozzarella how much salt would you season it with?
thanks

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #262 on: March 03, 2010, 11:07:26 PM »
Terry I think you have some competition on the big pizza skin. , go to 3:33.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #263 on: March 03, 2010, 11:11:41 PM »

I can do that! In my sleep.  ;D

Well, not really.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #264 on: March 04, 2010, 12:25:08 AM »
I couldn't do that with my dough, it's too wet. I would have to make a drier and saltier dough. That guy is good! I don't do any dough tricks.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2010, 02:37:50 AM »
I took a few photos of my dinner tonight, pepperoni, jalapeno and onion. This is my most recent batch of pepperoni. It's almost perfect(for me). The fourth photo is some baguettes I made today and gave away to customers.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #266 on: March 04, 2010, 07:26:10 AM »
Those look awesome.  Do you use your pizza dough to make them...
Patrick

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #267 on: March 04, 2010, 02:33:50 PM »
Those look awesome.  Do you use your pizza dough to make them...
Yeah, leftover pizza dough.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2010, 03:55:33 PM »
Good looking stuff!  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2010, 04:29:32 PM »
Are you taking strips of dough and twisting them into loaves, or are those knife slashes? They really look great!
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #270 on: March 05, 2010, 12:17:24 AM »
Are you taking strips of dough and twisting them into loaves, or are those knife slashes? They really look great!
Knife slashes.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #271 on: June 14, 2010, 05:11:22 AM »
I haven't posted for a while so here are some recent photos.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #272 on: June 14, 2010, 05:13:37 AM »
a few more.

brayshaw

« Reply #273 on: June 14, 2010, 05:22:55 AM »
As usual, very very nice Terry! How has business been? Good trip to San Fran?

Paul

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #274 on: June 14, 2010, 09:51:58 AM »
Terry,

Now, those are pizzas!! They are beautiful.

Peter