Author Topic: Strong Cheeses?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Squirrelman

Strong Cheeses?
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:02:21 PM »
 I am wondering what strong cheeses anyone has tried on pizza that worked well? I am looking for cheeses to use by themselves (Not mixed with mozzarella or any other cheeses). Stuff that you can find in most supermarkets. So far the only two that come to mind are Feta and Cheddar. I guess blue cheese would fit in this category but I've never liked blue cheese. I'm sure theres some I'm missing.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Strong Cheeses?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:15:33 PM »
Squirrelman,

Maybe a Provolone, smoked and aged if you can find it.

Peter

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:30:43 PM »
Squirrelman,
I use fontina in my cheese mix... I haven't tried it straight, but I'm sure if you were sparing with it, it could be good.  The more aged the cheese, the stronger and I have found that importeds are stronger than domestics.  It melts really well, is creamy and tangy, which is why I added it to my mix.

If you try it straight, let me know what you think!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:40:36 PM »
Grated imported aged Gouda is excellent. You don't need to use a lot of it to get the sharp flavor. Goes well with fresh tomato & another veggie like asparagus. Don't mix with other cheeses as you would lessen the flavor.

Trader Joe's usually has some at half the price of the supermarket deli.

PNW

Cherry tomato/Molinari Pepperoni
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:47:57 PM by Pizza_Not_War »

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 12:04:05 AM »
Squirrelman,

The Danish really know their dairy products.  Cream Havarti is one of my favorite cheeses, possibly even my all-time favorite under the right conditions, but it is difficult to find a fresh quality source for it.  The Havarti cheesees usually sold in supermarkets are too sharp.  That's why some of them are simply labeled Havarti, and not Cream Havarti or Baby Havarti.  However, a plain, sharpened Havarti may be just what you are looking for.  Havarti cheese is also available smoked.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-havarti.htm

- red.november

EDIT: I forgot to also mention the often overlooked Muenster cheese.  It's a pretty common cheese for pizza cheese blends, but I think you would enjoy it by itself.  Like Havarti cheese though, you may want a slow-replenishment source for this cheese to give it that extra time for additional sharpness.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:14:17 AM by November »

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 06:09:33 AM »
 Ah thank you for all the suggestions, a lot of these I've heard of but never tried before. I did try fontina before on a mushroom pizza, but pixed with Parmesan and mozzarella. I'll have to see how it comes out by itself.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:38:49 PM »
For something really different, try using a smoked Gouda over a bechamel sauce...you can find a simple bechamel sauce here...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_22505,00.html

just spead it onto the skin like you would a red sauce, and perhaps add a little crispy bacon or prosciutto under the gouda...its outasight.
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »
Today I'm going to try a pure Fontina pizza and a pure Gouda cheese pizza. plain, just to get the taste of each by itself to see what its like. actually to be specific I'm making one pizza half one and half the other. Question though, for the Gouda cheese, should I use the brown crust? or just the yellow inside?

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 04:55:51 PM »
I always trim off the waxy rind and just go for the smooth inner.  It seems to melt more evenly...
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline jameshar1

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 01:18:24 AM »
Yup, aged gouda is extremely tasty  ;D