Author Topic: deep dish crust recipe using a foodprocesser with no scale  (Read 4502 times)

Offline rodeo

deep dish crust recipe using a foodprocesser with no scale
« on: December 04, 2008, 09:38:12 PM »
I want to make a deep dish pizza so bad, but do not have a mixer or a scale to make most of the dough recipes i have seen on the web site.  I am looking at buying a mixer and scale but will take alittle time.  I do not have a deep dish pan yet but those are pretty cheap.  I do have a cast iron pan that i could use if instructed corretly.  thanks  rodeo

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: deep dish crust recipe using a foodprocesser with no scale
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 09:48:10 PM »
rodeo,

You might take a look at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1184.msg10612.html#msg10612. You won't even have to use your food processor. However, you may have to increase the amount of dough to fit your cast iron pan if it is greater than 10" in diameter.

Peter

Offline Pizzadise

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 03:06:33 PM »
I use a food processor to make Giordano's style stuffed pizzas using a springform pan.  I use a scale...because I have one.  But you can use volumes (i.e. spoons and cups) from recipes elsewhere on the forum.  Giordano style crusts are biscuit or cookie or pie like, not chewy and glutenous, so you have to use the food processor very judiciously.

I proof the yeast in water with sugar.  I put the dry ingredients in the processor (salt, flour, cornmeal, cream or tartar, or whatever your dough recipe calls for) and then process the oil(-s) in for a few seconds.  It'll look kind of like dry oatmeal.  This is the way you would mix fat into flour for pie crust or biscuits.  I then PULSE the water/yeast mixture in - only 8-10 1 second pulses.  The dough will barely hold together and will look like it's not well mixed.  Don't worry because it will come together while proofing.  You don't want to overprocess this because the gluten will develop.  Just like you don't want chewy biscuits or pie crusts, you want a tender crust.  Once again for Giordano-style crust.

Proof it in the fridge or room temp depending on your preference.  Roll out.  Fill.  Bake.  Eat.  Repeat.

I'm making two later today for holiday work party.  One stuffed with spinach/garlic/feta.  One stuffed with sausage/mushrooms sauteed with garlic and marsala.  6 in 1 for sauce (I drain it for an hour, reduce the juice, mix it back in, and add home-made spice mix containing fennel, chili flakes, garlic/onion powder, salt, pepper, oregano, basil).  And WAY too much cheese.  Is that possible?

Offline rodeo

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 09:40:21 PM »
thanks pete and pizzadise for the tips.  i just got a deep dish pan and plan on making the pizza this week.  i will post some pics once i get it made.  wish me luck, theres a first time for everything.  rodeo

Offline rodeo

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 12:03:14 AM »
OK I am making my first Giordano's pizza tommorrow.  My one question is what do i do with the sausage?  do i cook it first or do i put it in raw .  I Will be following the layers of bottom crust, toppings, cheese, 2nd crust and than sauce.  I will have pics and recipe after pizza is done(i need to know how to change memory sizes of pics to get them own the thread)  Thanks rodeo

Offline BTB

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:26:22 AM »
I had been to the original Giordano's on 63rd and California when they first started their stuffed pizza business many decades ago.  They've always put their sausage on uncooked or raw as do most Chicago pizzerias.  Remember, stuffed pizza is cooked a very long time compared to other style pizzas that's put in a much hotter oven for just a few minutes. 

While there are some things about stuffed pizza I'm not crazy about, the brand or type of sausage that Giordanos's uses is among the best in the business.  And I thought the sequence was bottom crust, cheese next, then toppings, then second crust, then sauce.  They now use shredded cheese rather than sliced cheese as they did in their beginning.  I guess its quicker to dump in shredded cheese to make the pizza faster.  And for home use, it doesn't make much of a difference.

We're anxious to learn of your results and pictures.                                   --BTB

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 08:44:38 AM »
BTB ,
That allmost looks as good as yours ;D Is that Giordano's crust similar your Malnatis ? Same for top and Bottom?

Rodeo,
I am doing a first also this weekend the BTB recipe. I think I will try that before I go for the top crust but thats on the list for sure. Good luck cant wait to see the pics

BTB do I dock the dough on the DD? I think not
thanks again'
John

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:47:07 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BTB

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 08:54:56 AM »
Hey John, no you don't dock any deep dish pizza dough as a general rule as you don't par bake the pizza skin for a deep dish pizza . . . as a general rule.  Not to say that you can't experiment with doing so some time.

Giordano's crust is much different in my experience from the Malnati's and other Chicago Style deep dish crusts.  To me it seems like it is much drier (not as much oil/water) as others.  But they have their following and have been immensely successful.  The picture is from their location down here in Tampa.     --BTB

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 09:08:02 AM »
Thanks
I am sure I would love it, as I like a good hearty pizza and that looks hearty! also quite flaky and biscuit like crust. I also like a very thin cracker crust but I can eat a whole large myself not sure I could handle that badboy.
I have visited chicago before I was into this whole pizza obsession and I will have a list of must tastes when I go again.
I would order a pie from Lous or Malnatis but the $50.00 Shipping!! closed that deal. I think a flight is not more than $100 from NJ to CHI
Thanks,  oh I found the 6in1's for this weekend yes
John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 09:29:46 AM »
John,

I was once told by a Giordano's customer service rep that if you buy two deep-dish pizzas at the same time (I don't remember the size) there is no additional shipping cost for the second pizza. That is, one shipping fee covers two pizzas. I don't know if that will apply to Malnati's, Home Run Inn or any of the other Chicago outfits. You would have to go online and confirm, or call.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »
Yes Peter,
The web shows no difference between shipping 1 or 2 or more but still between the price and the shipping its alot. In my head I cannot justify $35 -40 for a pizza  especially now that I know what it really costs to make an average pepperoni pizza.
Although I would love to taste em its out of my  price range.

I would rather buy more cool pizza/bread toys for the ovens and have fun experimenting
As my stomach keeps growing.  My cost keeps going down. ::) My local pizzeria friend is getting me a case(6 cans) of 6 in 1 crushed tomatoes #10 (big guys)cans for $21 !! The 2 bags Hormel pep yesterday for $6, a 50lb bag of All Trumps Flour at like $15.00, water free. yeast $.10?  do the math .

When the moon hits your eye thats alot of big pizza pies! thats A More' :pizza:

If someone would send me 1 of those guys pies for Christmas I will accept it
matter o fact, I am putting it on my Christmas list for my parents who can not figure out what to get the guy who has everything (so they think) what about a dough docker mom?
John

Offline Vlap

• PetMarkersUSA
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 10:13:04 AM »
The quality of this recipe I cannot vouch for but it came from a chicago native. Its one I have been meaning to try for his picts of the finished product looked pretty good.

2 packages yeast
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup veg oil
4 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup corn meal
5 1/2 cup flour

Dissolve yeast in water.
Add corn meal, oils, 1/2 of the flour. Beat until smooth.
Add rest of flour and kneed until dough is stickey enough to pull off the sides of the bowl.
Cover and let rise until double, punch, repeat. It should be ready to go after punching it down the second time.
This should be about enough for 2 10" pizzas.
Spread dough into well oiled pan, go thin 1/8" is a good starting point.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 10:18:51 AM »
Looks doable , If Peter will run the %s But 2 pkg yeast?

Offline Vlap

• PetMarkersUSA
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 10:26:35 AM »
The 2 packages seemed high to me and the lack of salt in the recipe really puzzles me. He swears it is as it should be though. He isn't a pro but in talking to him I do feel he appreciates good food. Here is a photo I found from that post.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 10:29:41 AM »
That like a fleishmans instant bread yeast? so No salt and some say dont use corn meal? not sure why The thing for me to do is try it as well and post the results vs. the BTB
J

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 11:21:26 AM »
Vlap,

As noted in Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7467.msg64252.html#msg64252, where I provided or referenced typical ingredients lists for the deep-dish pizzas of Gino's East, Lou Malnati's, Giordano's and Uno's, there is no salt in the crusts of the Gino's East and Malnati's pizzas. Also, none of the four names uses cornmeal. I agree with you that the amount of yeast, at 0.5 ounces total, seems very high. With that amount, and from the dough preparation steps you provided, and from the photo as well, it looks like the finished crust will be quite bread-like and not flaky or biscuit-like and with a decent amount of tooth, as I understand is characteristic of the classic Chicago deep-dish crust.

Peter

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 01:20:45 PM »
You're right on Peter, that's way too much yeast and the lack of salt is exactly correct...but you can always add it in if you like.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline rodeo

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 07:38:52 PM »
Well here it is, my first stuff crust pizza.(pics below)  Here is the alteration i come up with using buzz's giordano's recipe for a 12'' round 1 3/4'' deep pan. 

4 cups ka ap flour
1 pack flesmans ady
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
10 TBS canola oil
2 TBS olive oil
1 cup + 2 1/2 TBS water

Offline BTB

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 07:42:59 PM »
Great job.  It looks really good.  I can almost taste it after looking at the pictures.   --BTB

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 07:52:43 PM »
rodeo,

I agree with BTB. How did you like the pizza, and would you make any changes next time?

It looks like the recipe you used was roughly a doubling of buzz's Giordano's clone recipe at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2314.msg20414/topicseen.html#msg20414. Did you end up using your food processor by any chance?

Peter

Offline rodeo

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 10:42:48 PM »
I do not think I would change to much. I did put sausage and mushrooms in the pizza. I think next i would put more of each topping in the pie.  My measurements left me with some left over dough. (i wanted to make sure i had enough for the bottom and top)  I did not use the food processor just the 2 min. hand kneed. ( easier than washing the fp)

My next project will be an attempt to make donatos pizza. (the best pizza in Ohio)