Author Topic: alot vs. a lot  (Read 3937 times)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
alot vs. a lot
« on: December 25, 2008, 01:37:23 AM »
I know it's not pizza related, but I just have to say that I get a little tired of a lot being spelled alot. Alot is not a word in the english language. Does this bother anyone else or is it just me?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: alot vs. a lot
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 02:58:16 AM »
It bothers me alittle.  ;)

Although others' errors don't bother me at all, I like to understand proper usage. I listen to a weekly podcast that you would enjoy:

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/

Bill/SFNM

« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 03:09:38 AM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 12:43:36 PM »
Those kind of errors bug me when the writer is implying that they are highly educated and know everything, it makes me LOL.

Especially the "noone" along with alot.

I am sure I make my share of typo's, etc. but try to double check my grammar & spelling.

My biggest pet peeve is that many people have trouble reading a post and then replying to what was written. Examples of such are easily found, I am too polite generally to point them out. (to too two was always one of my own problems - LOL) As well as the use of unloosen which had to be beaten out of me by my older brother.

If your biggest hardship in life is getting upset over this kind of stuff then you are living a good life!

PNW

ps - have a hoppy holiday - drink beer

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 12:56:40 PM »
I know it's not pizza related, but I just have to say that I get a little tired of a lot being spelled alot. Alot is not a word in the english language. Does this bother anyone else or is it just me?

Ha! My English teacher in high school used have an absolute fit about this one-I mean it made him nuts. Me being the class clown decided it would be funny to write on the cover of most of my papers "I heart alot" just to bug him. Thankfully he was a good sport.

I myself am sum what paranoid about my spelling and grammerr  ;)

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 01:49:13 PM »
I'm glad to see it's not just me. I was inspired to post after having a silly argument with someone on this topic. They insisted that alot was also correct and even when I googled it and proved him wrong, he still insisted. I got on here and right away noticed several alot's so I had to say something. I bet that at some point, alot will be made a correct spelling just like they made nookyahler a correct pronounciation of nuclear. George W. will see to it! lol

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »
I think different rules apply to forums like this. Regardless of the level of education of the writer, I would much prefer an answer that contains valuable content rather than one that is carefully crafted for form. Many of my posts here are quickly fired off between more important tasks or are prepared on my cellphone which uses a screen-based keyboard which can be a little difficult to use with my large fingers. I'm not going to take the time and effort to go back and correct typos. I might as well not post here if perfection is demanded.   

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 02:45:31 PM »
I think different rules apply to forums like this. Regardless of the level of education of the writer, I would much prefer an answer that contains valuable content rather than one that is carefully crafted for form. Many of my posts here are quickly fired off between more important tasks or are prepared on my cellphone which uses a screen-based keyboard which can be a little difficult to use with my large fingers. I'm not going to take the time and effort to go back and correct typos. I might as well not post here if perfection is demanded.   

I definitely agree with that. It's just the "alot" thing that irritates me. It's just a pet peeve.

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 05:45:41 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean. Mine is people writing would of, could of , and should of instead would have, could have, and should have.  ???  Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.