Author Topic: Great Value (Walmart) success.  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Deacon Volker

Great Value (Walmart) success.
« on: December 23, 2008, 12:23:51 PM »
I know there have been several posts about using Wally World's "Great Value" house label tomatoes for sauce.  I've been a fan of their "crushed tomatoes" for quite a bit and wanted to share one new product I picked up last week and was finally able to try last night.

It's simply labeled as "Pear strips with Basil".  I thought it looked promising, opened the 28oz can and set the contents in a strainer to drain all afternoon.  I was able to pull off over a cup of water that way, leaving me with enough product for two 14" pies last night.

I added about a tsp. of dried oregano, and tsp. of dried basil, added the same in fresh coarse ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp. of crushed red pepper flakes, and 2 tsp. of sugar ( I like a little bit of sweet in my sauce ).  The flavor of the tomato was well above some of the other brands I've used, the end product was very similar to a good hand crushed whole fruit. 

I think I picked up my 2 cans for around $1.18 each...great price and I'll be picking up several more on my next trip "to town". :chef:

JV