Author Topic: Bread Flour  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Bread Flour
« on: September 21, 2003, 07:11:58 PM »
I will be trying Sam's Club Bakers & Chefs bread flour this coming week.  It comes with Barley and that should help with our pizzas.
I have used this brand's high gluten flour and like it but it is no longer available here.
Anybody else try it?
Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Bread Flour
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 08:19:51 AM »
Yes, my wife buys the Sam's Club Bakers & Chefs flour (both the bread flour and the all-purpose). Comes in 25 pound sacks.

I use the bread flour all the time to make pizza. It's not bad at all, makes a good NY style crust. I prefer King Arthur Sir Lancelot high gluten flour, though.

And, someone once told me that for Chicago style pizza, ya gotta use Ceresota flour (it's called Hecker's on the East Coast). I had a friend ship me a few bags to try and it was very good.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 08:55:28 AM »
I lke the added barley.  The Bakers&Chefs high gluten was good but it came in 50# bags.  We divided them up into 5# ziplock bags.  By the way for a tip.  Put a dried whole bay leaf in each bag of flour and you will have no bugs.  I have kept flour for a year that way.
Steve, have you tried Laura Brody's high gluten additive?  I didn't think much of it.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 09:49:59 AM »
Yes, I've tried most of the dough conditioners and relaxers... didn't care for them at all.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

cliff

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 07:00:30 PM »
A good flour for pizza is Gordon Food Supply brand,high glutton flour.It comes in 25 pound bags. I keep my flour in the freezer, so I never have a bug problem.  :)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 08:08:24 AM »
Where do you buy it?

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 03:35:57 PM »
In Chicago, the pizza supply businesses all carry it

pizzapan