Author Topic: Lots of small bubbles in my crust, no big ones!  (Read 3254 times)

Offline sabinoapizza

Re: Lots of small bubbles in my crust, no big ones!
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 02:45:39 AM »
Hi Everyone I attempted to achieve a a 24 hour room temp rise.I was able to let the dough rise for 19 hours outside fridge.I then degassed dough rounded into individual dough and put them in fridge.I baked pizza off the next day this dough had been in fridge for 10 hours. I was happy with pizza it achevied decent oven spring and had a great flavor.The crust was more chewy and tougher than usual.I use high amounts of salt in my dough but it is in the exceptable limit there are pizzeria' in Italy that use up to 3% salt in there doughs to retard fermentation rate.I find this amount of salt is just right for my taste.This dough was good but not my favorite.I enjoy my pizza when the crust is crispy not crunchy and has a softer interior and is a little chewy. The previous pizza I made acevied a 14 hour room temp rise and was put in fridge for around ten hours.The 14 hour room temp rise of the dough produced an great crust with all the characteristics I am looking for.I have enclosed a picture of this pie.
Chow
Sabinoapizza
Sabino

Offline sabinoapizza

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 02:49:14 AM »
I accidental posted my 14 hour room temperature rise pizza.I will post the 19hr room temperature rise pizza below.
Sabino

Offline m_pizza

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 10:13:35 AM »
Hello,

I am reporting back having experimented a little more and I think Pete-zza has cracked my problem - I think it was the incorrect activation of the ADY. I tried using 0.5% IDY today mixed into the dry flour (I used 75% Type 55 French flour, 25% regular bread) with 66% lukewarm water and 2% salt. It underwent a 16 hour cold rise then 1.5 hour countertop (I was being impatient!)

The difference was huge - previously when I take my dough with hte incorrectly activated ADY out of the fridge, it is very wet and ulta extensible to the point of being unworkable. It is also usually also very gummy. This time the dough despite being a little wetter than usual, was very dry and easily came out the container onto the bench (usually it is a struggle taking it out). The dough was also much easier to work with - I could shape it much more easily than usual. The pie cooked in just under 2 minutes.

There was much more cornice rise than usual with bigger bubbles, although there were not huge bubbles all the way round, there were certainly a few areas with nice big voids. The people who ate it also commented on the additional airiness.

I have attatched a picture, and I am much more happy with my results now, so I would like to say thanks to everyone, especially Pete-zza, and my next experiment will be with a 24 hour room temp rise. I would also suggest people try sourcing some Type 55 French flour as it is very tasty!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:39:10 AM by m_pizza »