Author Topic: DKM recipe for 1 pizza or 2?  (Read 4996 times)

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
DKM recipe for 1 pizza or 2?
« on: December 28, 2008, 09:02:06 PM »
I made this for the first time tonight. I made a 14" pizza and rolled it out to about 15" or 16" and cut off the extra dough. It was still really thick. I assume using 3 1/2 cups of flour this has to be for 2 pizza's. I hope I'm right on this because it was terrible. I have used a recipe that calls for 2 cups of flour and it makes 2 12" pizza's. Thanks for any help.

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: DKM recipe for 1 pizza or 2?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 10:35:37 AM »
Holdem:

Can you be more specific about what steps you took to make the dough? 

I've tried the DKM before and as I recall I rolled it out to about the same diameter as you, ~ 16", and it cutting the excess back to 14" to fit the cutter pan.  It came out good in my book. 

btw, I kept the excess and incorporated it into another batch of dough later on (a technique some pizza restaurants will do).

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »
Holdem,
You are speaking of the DKM Cracker? I just did that one JConk cracker and I got 1 14" and 1 10" and still had leftover for my daughter to play with
JOHN
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:14:55 PM »
holdem,

According to Steve, when he made the DKM cracker style dough, he rolled the dough out to about an inch on each side of a 16" cutter pan, as he noted at Reply 77 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,105.msg5750.html#msg5750 . Allowing for the sloping sides of the cutter pan, that would place the rolled out skin at close to 19".

Peter

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »
I used the cracker recipe that's on the website. It has to be for 2 pizza's. I did a 14".

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:00:44 PM »
I used the cracker recipe that's on the website.

Which recipe is that?

Peter

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 08:43:42 PM »
The original DKM on the website not in the forums.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 09:04:14 PM »
The original DKM on the website not in the forums.

I believe that this is the recipe your have in mind: http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php. If so, it appears that the recipe is for one pizza only. However, there is nothing to stop you from using the dough to make more than one pizza.

Peter

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 08:45:29 PM »
Isn't that the recipe that is one of the top one's on the site?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 08:49:18 PM »
Isn't that the recipe that is one of the top one's on the site?

holdem,

Yes, it is. Is there something in particular you are or were looking for?

Peter

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 07:35:01 PM »
Trying to figure out why it is only for 1 pizza with so much dough. I think it could easily make 2 pizzas. When I made it (one 14 inch) the crust was kind of thick and tasted like flour. Really the worst pizza I've ever made.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 08:35:52 PM »
holdem,

A little over a year ago, I started a thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg48991.html#msg48991 devoted to the DKM dough recipe. I described in the first post of that thread my efforts to make a pizza in accordance with the instructions accompanying DKM's recipe. In so doing, I was able to roll out the dough to about 19"-20" (it was not perfectly round), which essentially represented a skin with a thickness of 1/16", as called for by the instructions. Consequently, that roughly 20" skin could have been used to make pizzas of a size of about 18"-19" on down. In my case, for example, I cut out a skin of 15" out of the larger 20" skin to use with my 14" cutter pan. If I had a 16" cutter pan, I would have cut out a 17" skin. For a 12" cutter pan, I would have cut out a 13" skin. In all cases, there would be some scrap left.

It is possible to determine how much dough you will need to make any given size of pizza, but you will have to first determine the thickness factor for DKM's recipe. I tried to do this, and my best estimate is that the thickness factor for that recipe is around 0.083. I later decided that I preferred a thinner and crispier crust so I adjusted the thickness factor downwardly to produce that thinner and crispier crust. (I also increased the salt level to satisfy a personal preference.) If you are willing to accept my estimated thickness factor, you should be able to use that number (0.083) along with DKM's baker's percents in the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html to determine the amounts of ingredients to make any size pizza. What I did in using the tool in this way was to increase the size of pizza entered into the tool by one inch, to compensate for the fact that it is hard to roll out a skin to be perfectly round. For example, for a 12" pizza, I would enter 13" into the tool and later cut a 12" skin out of the roughly 13" skin. That is a technique that I pretty much followed for all of the DKM-style pizzas I made and reported on in the abovereferenced thread. You might try coming up with your own formulation to satisfy your particular needs (i.e., the size and number of pizzas you want to make) and see what results you get. You can always later adjust the thickness factor up or down until you are satisfied.

There is nothing wrong with DKM's recipe. You just have to learn how to use it to get different sizes. With the method I used, I ended up with little scrap for each skin I made--about 1" worth.

If you are working with volume measurements, another approach you might take is to use the amount of dough (23 ounces) made using the DKM recipe and split it in half and make two skins a little over 13" in diameter, and then cut out two 12" skins from the 13"+ skins. That will not be as accurate as using weights but that is the inherent drawback to using volume measurements. For other sizes, such as 14", you will have to use the method discussed above.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:07:50 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 08:39:48 PM »
Holdem ,
I loved it and found it to be a favorite one of the best. Did you have a cutter pan? Did you par bake?
Did you end up with a shaggy ( brainy looking) dough ball at 36% hydration? It is very temping to add more water to this recipe as it is sooo dry, but thats the way it was designed to work. How thin were you able to roll it out? was it hard to roll out? mine was very close to the thickness of my dough scraper 1/16th of an inch and I had alot of leftover as mentioned I let my daughter have somme fun with that. See it on JConk does cracker under cracker style.
 Its OK to give it another go, and roll roll roll :D
good luck
JOhn
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:44:03 PM by JConk007 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »
holdem,

After posting my last reply, I went back to research how Steve, the forum's Administrator, rolled out the dough when he used DKM's recipe. According to Reply 77 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,105.msg5750.html#msg5750, Steve rolled the dough out to about 18", from which he cut out a skin to fit his 16" cutter pan (I would guess the finished skin in the cutter pan was close to 17"). In another thread, starting with Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,779.msg6828.html#msg6828, it looks like Steve at least rolled out the dough to 18" and, quite likely even a bit more judging from the photos. At 18", 23 ounces of dough translates to a thickness factor of about 0.09; at 19", 23 ounces translates to a thickness factor of about 0.08. That assumes a perfectly round skin, which is rarely the case. So, the thickness factor I quoted in my last reply (0.083) seems to be in the ballpark. In any event, you can always increase it or decrease it as you wish.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 03:50:29 PM »
Peter,
Thanks for those links I never got to see before I tried but came very close.
So Steve used no lamination of 2 layers to get those beautiful results correct ?
I did the same 1/16" thick rollout, and 1 layer only, then par bake 4 min. really great stuff! I am no expert by far but my finished pics looked close to Steve and the Master himself DKM produced? Little heavy on the cheese whats the right weight for a 16" ? and I may try that thin crust sauce Steve used next time around, any thoughts or comments from another master such as yourself ?
Thanks
John
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:57:09 PM by JConk007 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »
John,

That is correct. Steve did not use a lamination approach. However, the lamination method is a useful and effective method, albeit one that can take more time and effort than a single rolling of a dough skin. At some point, I'd like to devote more time to that method to determine its pluses and minuses. I suspect that if the hydration is on the high side, it may be necessary to use a lamination approach to get a crispy crust.

In terms of my personal observations, the most difficult aspect of DKM's recipe that I encountered was rolling out the dough, because of its low hydration and stiffness. But, with a clue from John Fazzari, I came up with a solution to that problem that made the rolling out of the dough a breeze--the use of heat to warm up the dough. That made other factors, such as type of flour, hydration value, and type of mixer, less critical. I also concluded that for me pre-baking the crust was the best way to go. Finding that I could make the dough by hand and with relative ease and without a mixer or food processor was also a major revelation. That has the potential to open up DKM's recipe to many more users.

I also discovered that there were several variations of "cracker" crusts, from a saltine cracker-like crust that is tender, to a crispy crust that leaves a lot of crumbs in your lap. To get the tender cracker crust, I would use a fairly high thickness factor; for a crispy type cracker crust, I would use a much lower thickness factor.

Peter

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 10:27:41 PM »
Thanks for the help. I just rolled it out to fit my 14" pan because that's what the recipe called for. I'll try it again and go more for the thickness called for. Other than that I think it was right. It was loose dough after the mixer.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 10:50:05 PM »
I just rolled it out to fit my 14" pan because that's what the recipe called for.

holdem,

I'm confused. I took another look at the recipe and I did not see any cutter pan size mentioned. Are we talking about the same recipe?

Peter

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 09:31:04 PM »
Your right. I don't know where I got the idea that it was for one 14" pizza. I'm going to try it again this weekend.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 10:32:29 PM »
Hi all.

I gave Steve the big recipe and he down sized it.

I use it to make 2 - 13" pizzas.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards