Author Topic: Re: 6-in-1...Dented Cans (Split Topic)  (Read 5256 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: 6-in-1...Dented Cans (Split Topic)
« on: December 29, 2008, 11:36:38 AM »
Hey all,
Nothing to do with leftover liquid, but I just got my order of 6 cans  from escalon and all dented but 1.? Is this standard sell the damaged good to the consumer over the internet. I was always told not to buy a dented can of anything, I forget the particulars.
Maybe November knows of a chemical reaction to a dented can? Anyway is this just bad luck or has anybody else got damage goods> should be OK right? I wont bother to send back My local pizza buddy will now sell me anytime a #10 can for $3.79 ! Now were talkin!
Thanks
John
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:05:50 AM by Pete-zza »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BTB

Re: 6-in-1...what to do with the drained liquid?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 03:31:27 PM »
John, in the many times I've ordered and received my 6 in 1 order, which has to travel several thousand miles clear across the country, I think I only received a dented can just once.  There was nothing wrong with the contents and I doubt that there will be with yours.  But send them an email and let them know.  I like the 28 oz cans the best.  The giant cans can be found at Gordon Food Service (or similar food purveyor) and at alot of Italian deli's, but I shy away from them because storing alot of leftover sauce can be problematic, but many do it.
--BTB

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 03:24:33 PM »
Thanks BTB ,
I am sure they will be fine. I am on the other side also NJ. A few were worse than others. It was over the holidays so everybody was busy I dont want to bother them with an email
But for 1 thin$ more for the #10 versus the 28oz I will find something to do with those leftovers. To start with I am making 2 more 14" + the 2  9" when the pans come in  :D
John
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 03:28:32 PM by JConk007 »

Offline BTB

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 04:13:35 PM »
No, no.  Please email them.  They are a good, responsible company, at least in my experience, and they will want to know about that.  Maybe a shipper problem.  They often bend over backwards for customers, esp. if you tell them you learned about them on PizzaMaking.com.  Believe me, they get alot of business from us home pizza makers.  BTW, your deep dish pizzas looked fantastic, as well as your other pizzas.  Great work.  You're just going to get better and better at this.                 
                                                                                      --BTB

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 04:53:24 PM »
I received some dented cans from them as well. I emailed and they sent me a replacement. Next time I ordered I received more dented cans. They ignored my emails from that point on! I guess they blacklisted me as a disgruntled tomato user!

I gave up and moved on to other brands such as Eden Organic crushed tomatoes. After putting the tomatoes in a fine mesh strainer I was pleasantly surprised to see that the more expensive Eden tomatoes gave up much less watery liquid. I think you get what you pay for . . .

PNW

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 10:21:06 AM »
BTB,
Thanks for the encouraging remarks, It was your work that inspired me to try that Deep Dish. I want that one again!
I will go ahead and shoot them an email based on the posts here, and we can see what happens.
I'll keep you posted when/if I get the reply. I  did email them when I made the 6 in 1 order to see if I could get/pay for a can of the Bonta Pizza sauce. I saw this being used locally so I wanted to see if I could recreate their pie.
No Response at all  ???

PNW any link for the eden or are they available here in NJ at all? I'll try anything  at least once.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 10:23:57 AM by JConk007 »

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 11:01:39 AM »
PNW any link for the eden or are they available here in NJ at all? I'll try anything  at least once.
I usually buy them locally at "New Seasons Market", Whole foods might carry them as well. Or http://www.amazon.com/Eden-Organic-Tomatoes-Crushed-15-Ounce/dp/B000LKV2TC/?tag=pizzamaking-20 has them in the smaller can which is actually cheaper than what I pay. I guess I will be ordering some.

PNW

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 11:08:34 AM »
I  did email them when I made the 6 in 1 order to see if I could get/pay for a can of the Bonta Pizza sauce. I saw this being used locally so I wanted to see if I could recreate their pie.
No Response at all  ???

John,

You can buy the Bonta sauce from Pennmac but it comes in a large #10 can.  It's basically tomato paste with a little basil.

http://www.pennmac.com/items/3366

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: 6-in-1...Dented Cans (Split)
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 02:14:55 PM »
ME
Yes I did see it on their site I have used them on many occassion. Rose is a sweetheart
The #10 can is pricey to ship so I was hoping escalon would throw it in with the  6 can order and reduce cost of shipping 1 can
I am happy with the 6 in 1 tomatoes Love them
John

Offline petef

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 06:18:28 PM »
I will go ahead and shoot them an email based on the posts here, and we can see what happens.
I'll keep you posted when/if I get the reply.

In my opinion, if you plan to actually use the product in the dented cans
the objective would then be to inform them of a packing or shipping probem
so that they have opportunity to correct it. I would then say upfront, I'm
NOT looking for a refund or replacement, but I would like to inform you that
X number of cans arrived dented which makes me reluctant to reorder
in the future.

This would give your complaint credibility and they should take the problem
seriously instead of suspecting that it's another customer looking for some
free product. They'd also have to consider the loss of future business
and might even offer you a coupon for use on a future order.

---pete---

Offline djones148

Re: Re: 6-in-1...Dented Cans (Split)
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 09:15:23 PM »
I just received my order from Escalon and all the cans were in perfect condition and packaged securely. I am a little concerned by how old the cans are, however. Based on can date information posted in a previous thread, my cans were produced in early 2006. What kind of dates have you guys been getting?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 09:22:40 PM »
D,
My dented date looks like this

Fres   3
06BG20  V  1:04 (time stamp)

Is this 06 too??
I have not open a can yet because I got a #10 from my local pizzaria Now finally gone whew!

John

Offline Locke

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 09:27:58 PM »
I can't see dented cans being an issue. The concern would be bulging cans which means that you've got something growing in there. I suppose with a dented can there's always the chance that it has also been ruptured so if they were sitting on the store shelf one would prefer to take the undented can than check over the integrity of the dented one. However I think it's more likely the "never buy a dented a can" idea is a corruption of never use/buy a bulging can as both types of cans are "deformed".

Offline djones148

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »
D,
My dented date looks like this

Fres   3
06BG20  V  1:04 (time stamp)

Is this 06 too??
I have not open a can yet because I got a #10 from my local pizzaria Now finally gone whew!

John

Yeah, it looks like 2006. Search for the thread titled "How to read Escalon date codes" to see how to read the code. I'd post a link but the system isn't letting me since I'm a new member.

My can says FRES 3 06BG20 V 01:34.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »
OK all ,
2006  dented cans??  >:(
I sent an email today to escalon and as mentioned here told them I was a member of Pizzamaking.com, not looking for any handouts, and also asked if they could confirm they are selling early 2006 canned product??
The Question I have is - It appears I sent an email to the "contact us" page but looked like an order form page
Is there any other customer service email or phone # to contact? Someone said they spoke to a sales Rep?
Also told them I would like to post a positive reponse here. I'll keep you posted
John

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 10:14:27 AM »
Linda.Lockard@us.hjheinz.com   - This is the person I was in touch with. Initially responsive and then stopped emailing any response to me.

PNW

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 10:31:16 AM »
Thanks PNW!!
 I will give it a day or 2 then reach out for her.
 Should I mention your Name?
John

Offline djones148

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 01:40:37 AM »
OK all ,
2006  dented cans??  >:(
I sent an email today to escalon and as mentioned here told them I was a member of Pizzamaking.com, not looking for any handouts, and also asked if they could confirm they are selling early 2006 canned product??
The Question I have is - It appears I sent an email to the "contact us" page but looked like an order form page
Is there any other customer service email or phone # to contact? Someone said they spoke to a sales Rep?
Also told them I would like to post a positive reponse here. I'll keep you posted
John

I also sent them a note through their conact page to see what they say about the manufacture date.  I mentioned that the flavor of the tomatoes seem off to me as I mentioned in my other thread.  I told them I wasn't asking for replacements since the tomatoes aren't bad to the point of being unusable, but just wanted to let them know.

Offline djones148

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 09:09:51 PM »
I just received an email back from Escalon. They apologized for the 2006 cans and said they were sending me 2008's on Monday even though I said in my email I wasn't requesting replacements. They also said they were glad this was brought to their attention.

I guess it was just a bit of a mix up and I'm very impressed with their service and prompt reply.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 09:45:26 PM »
DJones,
Glad they took care of you
I got nothing back yet I sent (email before you see above posts) thru the contact us page ? that looks like an order form? oh well some people have all the luck.
John