Author Topic: Re: 6-in-1...Dented Cans (Split Topic)  (Read 5324 times)

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
Re: 6-in-1...Dented Cans (Split)
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 08:35:54 AM »
Although I am a meat inspector, I also know something about food safety. Dented cans are no problem if:
1) There is no leaking (easy enough to tell)
2) There is still a vacuum (which, if not present, would probably cause leaking)

Part of the whole "dented can" wives tale goes back to when lead solder was used for sealing the can. The rule was NEVER store the can in the fridge after opening (place in a container), and NEVER use a dented can of food because it may be spoiled(contaminated) and some lead may have leaked in as well.

Someone mentioned bulging cans. I haven't seen this since the 70's when my Grandfather had an Imported Foods business and he had some cans from Europe somewhere that he was throwing out. It takes a lot of pressure to bulge a can, and anaerobic bacteria(mostly) to boot. Anyway, bulging cans should go straight to the garbage.

Personally, I buy regular cans, but if someone is willing to offer a discount for dented, the I'm there. I saw your pics and consider that to be nothing to worry about, except for aesthetic reasons. I do understand the dissatisfaction with numerous dented cans though. I mean, what exactly are they doing to them????
I hope this helps.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »
I agree however they are still from 2006 that is dissapointing DJ was able to get a replacement guesss they missed my email
thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 09:21:06 AM »
Never Judge a book by its cover !!
Yes if its a slight dent in the center I thought I could live with So...
I opened one of my dented cans and noticed a tinish taste, and as mentioned a bit brown looking, and not fresh Like the #10 can I got from the local pizzeria. a few weeks back (I could eat those with a spoon). I went ahead and made my sauce combining these and 1/2 can of Red Pack crushed w/ oregano and basil and the usual extras for the pizza sauce. I was making and it tasted a bit off?
After reading this post again and the "am I the only one who doesn't like 6 in 1s" thread, again just for the heck of it I examined the can. Much to my suprise after I peeled off the paper I could actually see and move the rim of the can were I had opened it by the dent a measurable amount! An obvious entry point for air since 2006! and the very thought of Botulism skeeved me! Out went the entire sauce I worked so hard to create and the remaining cans!
I still have not heard back from these people, and now I am honesly a bit pissed. I just want to make Ah Beetz  ;) That was Muir Organic, and Eden Glen? 

Just be careful with the dents by the top and bottom and I know progresso cans still have a seam another I open was dented directly on it
They can keep the discount! I am going with the wifes tale!

Offline BTB

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 11:19:31 AM »
This posting really pains me, but I feel I should do it.  For the last couple of years, Escalon's 6 in 1 products has been and continues to be my favorite of all the canned tomato products.  We have dozens of great Italian deli's around us here in the Tampa Bay area selling all the great and fantastic brands of speciality canned tomato products and I've tried most of them.  But my pizza tasters and testers and I still all say 6 in 1 is the best, given a rarely dented can or not. 

Having said that, though, I am concerned about this can dating issue.  I looked at the 3 cans that I just received last month and they seemed to have similar codes to what has been mentioned here.  So today I wrote to Escalon on their contact section of their website (http://www.escalon.net/contact.aspx).  The only contact lead there, though, seems to apply to those wanting general product information, so I additionally sent a message to Linda.Lockard@us.hjheinz.com an individual mentioned above at Escalon's parent company, Heinz.  I said:  "I had sent the following via the Escalon website but am uncertain if that will get any attention and understand that sending this to your email address may better help in this regard."

I also went on the H.J. Heinz website (at http://www.heinz.com/our-company/investor-relations/request-information.aspx) and while a clear contact was not indicated, sent my message saying: "I am trying to clarify an issue regarding the question of Escalon Premier Brands, subsidiary of Heinz, possibly shipping old products to consumers.  I had sent the following message to Escalon on its website but am uncertain it may get the attention necessary:"

The message that I sent to (1) Escalon and to (2) Linda Lockard and to (3) the Heinz website was as follows:

"I have frequently ordered 6 in 1 Ground Tomatoes from Escalon over the past 2 years after learning about your great products on Pizzamaking.com and have frequently praised your products on that website.  I think your products have been among the best in the business but an issue has arisen about your company possibly shipping OLD products to consumers.  I ordered and received 3 cans of 6 in 1 from Escalon last month (12/08) and I am curious as to when that product was canned.  I am not looking for product replacement, but I am looking for the facts.  The code on the cans I received says "FRES 3 Q6BG20 W 02:33."  Can you assure me that this product was not an older product that was canned in 2006?  Or otherwise give me some assurance or explantion on this?       

Respectfully submitted 1/12/09."

I encourage all who are so inclined to communicate with the company through all means possible until this question is resolved.   We deserve a good answer.  Nothing less.                        --BTB

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 11:29:30 AM »
Thanks BTB,
I do love them too! as many here on this forum can testify. If you did a detailed search on 6 in 1s you might never get through it! However since starting my case (wisely split off by Peter) I see others are in the same boat?? I like you just want the truth. My tongue told me what I open yesterday was no where near the the #10 I had, and I used it all so I know the true flavor.
I did send another email to Contact page this am, but have not tried Linda yet. I also asked for no handouts again, just an explanation and clarification.
John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »
This is the last thread I recall on the matter of Escalon's can coding system: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5085.msg43128/topicseen.html#msg43128.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »
Correct Peter
Thats how I get the 2006 date
I think PNW gave that same link in reply #10 in the "am I the only one who does not like the 6 in 1 started"  by DJones sauce ingredients
Thanks again
John

Offline BTB

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 02:14:59 PM »
I just received some information from Escalon that appears that previous interpretations or information about the freshness codes on their cans have been misleading, inaccurate or just plain wrong.  The email I received indicates:

"There is confusion on our can codes.  Q6 means Escalon, B is an 8 which is the pack year 2008, G20 is our hour code and manufacturing line.  The product you are in receipt of is our 2008 pack. We have no 2006 product on site @ Escalon."

My apologies to Escalon for ever doubting them.  I always knew they were a great company.  Still the best canned tomatoes in the business IMO and they will continue to be my first canned tomato product of choice.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 03:02:45 PM »
Thanks for settling that BTB Where did your response come from I have still not heard ???
Looks like Sanchez has some bad code deciphering information and got us all on the edge.
That takes care of 1/2 the equation for me bad dents thats another story as described in detail here.
I just wish someone would get back to me as well?

UPDATE!! 3:45 pm 1/12/09
I just received an email from Tammy@ hienz with regard to my "complaint" ?
anyway, very apologetic and said they would be sending me 6 new cans and explained the confusion over the dates as BTB mentioned above.
Thank you escalon!  heres to many more delicious deep dish!!

Update #2 4:14 1/12/09
I just recieved another follow up from Linda Lockhart Tammys boss to make sure Tammy had contacted me
Very impressed Thanks forum for the class action! I hope I did not go overboard here. It was only my 1st order and it was over the holidays its  now in my opinion

A dead Thread :)
J C
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:17:45 PM by JConk007 »

Offline BTB

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 05:35:11 PM »
John, I'm so happy it turned out great for you with your dented can problem.  I knew Escalon was a good organization and was confident they would make good on your situation.  Here's a note sent to me from Escalon if others find any issue when receiving their great 6 in 1 or other products (hate to sound like a commercial):

" . . . we take great care in packing our products to consumers.  We use double-walled, extra-strength packing cases for our Internet orders and now ship no more than six 28 oz. cans/case.  Sometimes damage does occur with UPS, and when it does we ask that consumers return the products to us (at our cost) so that we can (1) send out replacement product and (2) get our $$ back from UPS for the damages.

Please advise our friends on Pizzamaking.com that Escalon Premier Brands is committed to quality and customer service, from our largest customer to the smallest one.  If they have any issues with product quality, please contact me direct at 209-552-6009 or Tammy Hanson in our customer service department at 1-888-ESCALON.

Sincerely, 
Linda Lockard, Marketing Dept.

Escalon Premier Brands   --   Home of a Better Tomato"

Whether you like Escalon or not -- and I know that's an individual thing -- one has to say that they are pretty responsive to consumer issues.  And to me, at least, 6 in 1 are the best !
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:05:40 AM by BTB »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »
And Yet another follow up by both ! thats 6 responses  from escalon to assure I was happy I AM. Linda was very grateful for the pictures and completely sympathetic to my dented cans. I too think they are great especially on your recipes doesn't take much like Essen say in another thread  less extras can even be better with this 6 in 1 product. Now I can post some pies.
John
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:28:48 AM by JConk007 »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 02:25:56 AM »
JC,

you might want to post the "Essen" reference in the correct thread. Otherwise people might look at you funny and ask what you're talking about.

8)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline BTB

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 09:01:54 AM »
Further information about the codes on the cans of Escalon products was sent to me and states:

The code you provided Q68G20, tells us that this product was produced at out Escalon facility (Q6) . The number '8' represents the year of production (2008); G equals the month - for example A = January; B = February etc., and the next two numbers give us the day of the month in which the product was canned.   The next four numbers are the time of day that the product was made.  In this example, the product was made on July 20th, 2008 at 2:30 AM.
It is recommended that this product be used within 2 years of that date for the best flavor and freshness, therefore, you have until July of 2010 to use this product.

I'm sure the cans I have will be used up long before that time.        --BTB                        :D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: 6-in-1...Dented Cans (Split Topic)
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 09:34:04 PM »
Just a follow up as promised and another nail in this thread. The new case arrived today without a scratch! and production date Aug 08 written in hand on the box too! Thanks Escalon great service! Back to the best IMO.
John

Offline petef

Re: 6-in-1...Dented Cans (Split Topic)
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 11:16:37 PM »
Thanks all for the interesting thread!
---pete---