Author Topic: Dough Kneading and Basil Question  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Tiramisu

Dough Kneading and Basil Question
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »
Hello,

My Neapolitan pizza making skills have greatly improved over the last few months with no real issues to speak of besides finding good quality ingredients at my local stores (hard to find good quality toppings and basil).  I am fairly happy with the product but there is one area that I am still a little in dark on.  I hand mix and knead all my dough since I do not have an electric mixer.  I actually enjoy the hand process but it does get time consuming especially when kneading. I have been doing the standard 5 minute knead, 1 minute rest for 30 minutes.  The problem is I never really know when to stop. 

I have been using a technique I learned on youtube in which you cut the dough with a sharp knife and look for air holes.  If the air holes exist then its supposed to be done.  I really have no idea if this technique is correct but it seems to be ok as I have been happy with the results.  I just really want to know what the ideal procedure would be to know if the dough is property kneaded.

I would also like to know what type of basil is the standard.  There are so many types of basil and Sweet is really the only thing I can find.  It does not seem to have the flavor that I tasted in a quality Neapolitan joint I recently ate at in Seattle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Dough Kneading and Basil Question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 12:52:36 AM »

I would also like to know what type of basil is the standard.  There are so many types of basil and Sweet is really the only thing I can find.  It does not seem to have the flavor that I tasted in a quality Neapolitan joint I recently ate at in Seattle.

This is the kind of basil I use:https://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1067161791

Bill/SFNM

Offline Tiramisu

Re: Dough Kneading and Basil Question
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:19:15 PM »
Hi Bill,

I just got in the basil seeds from Seeds from Italy. Thanks for the reply and the info.  Now I have learn how to garden...

pizzapan