Author Topic: my Ideabox  (Read 1543 times)

Offline pwforprez

my Ideabox
« on: January 03, 2009, 04:41:47 AM »
looking to open a place soon. i know the equipment i need, how to manage produce and paper goods and labor. what im looking for are good ideas for my product.  i want an american style pizza, is a beer batter possible?     thinking of throwing in some unusual toppings such as beans and fajita. im thinking along the lines of a tex mex pizza place. already have a location and investors but its my goal to make this a reality. please point me in the right direction

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: my Ideabox
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:01:43 AM »
Personally I think most pizza places lack good pizza, so that would be a great start! :-D Beer batter, and fajita pizza wouldn't appeal to me, but I that's me. I would really research your demographics to make sure there is a good market for those specialty type places. Maybe instead of a place like that it could be an addition to your menu-maybe a "house specialty" in addidtion to more tradittional type place. I don't know why but the gimmicks or themes make me nervous.

You should really spend some serious time learning how to make a knock out good pizza and how to do it on a large scale, because it doesn't sound like you want to be the cheapest in town either (which is good IMO). Also check out www.pmq.com/tt which is a forum for pizza place operators. There are lots of great threads discussing this.

Best of luck,

Jeff

DISCLAIMER: This is just my .02. My first job was at a pizza place when I was 15, but I have never owned nor operated one.  8)
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Deacon Volker

Re: my Ideabox
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:24:27 PM »
I'm in agreement with "the other Jeff"...I'm also in the same boat, getting set to open up my own shop after years of playing pizzeria at home.  I have the business management experience, have the people management experience, and think there is a market in my small town for that non-chain type of place.  I'd recommend getting your base pizza down, down well...and build from that.  I think it's going to serve me well when I open to have my focus be the star, having so many "specialties" on my menu in the end might just mean there's nothing "special" about any of them?  I'll open with my base pizza, the regular midwest toppings, 5 sandwiches, 3 salads, and maybe 3 pasta choices. But, I also plan to start adding in "limited time specials" after I get my kitchen humming.  I know I'll run a "taco" pizza for a while, and some of the other great ideas I'm gleaning off this, and other, boards.  Then, IF they take root, great.  I'll have a built in following for them, but I'll already have built that customer base from day one with my main game.

Just my random thoughts, and like someone else points out..."your mileage may vary"!   ;D

Jeff

pizzapan