Author Topic: suggestions on chicago style  (Read 7858 times)

Len

Re:suggestions on chicago style
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2004, 06:48:17 PM »
this pizza looks AWESOME.  I've jotted notes from the pointers you've given, but I don't have a complete recipe yet.  Can you post the recipe you used to make this pizza?
Thank you for your help,
Len

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2004, 08:55:58 PM »
Len:

Check the main page recipes (click on pizzamaking.com on the bottom of this page).

It is DKM's Deepdish recipe I believe :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 08:58:47 PM by Foccaciaman »
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2004, 10:41:04 AM »
Len,

I used DKM's recipe as posted on the front page of the pizzamaking.com website.  As previously indicated, I scaled down the recipe to achieve a dough ball size of around 15 ounces, to fit a 9-inch pan with a 2-in. height.  The amounts of the different ingredients I used are as follows:

7.35 oz. all-purpose flour (a bit over 1 3/4 c.)
  4.48 oz. water (a bit over 1/2 c.)
  1.43 oz. corn meal and corn flour (50/50 by weight)
  1.43 oz. Smart Balance spread (about 2 T.)
  0.15 oz. sugar (a bit over 1 t.)
  0.10 oz. salt (a bit over 1/2 t.)
  0.10 oz. ADY (about 3/4 t.) or about 5/8 t. IDY (I used IDY)

For the toppings, I used 3 links of sausage (removed from the casings), about 24 slices of pepperoni, 2 1/2 oz. each of mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese and soy mozzarella cheese, 6-in-1 tomatoes, and dried and fresh basil and dried oregano.

If you have a 2 1/4 inch high pan, then you will need a somewhat larger dough ball.  I previously posted the flour weights for different sized pans, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=560;start=0.  You will have to calculate the rest of the ingredients based on baker's percents.

Peter

« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 11:00:42 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: suggestions on chicago style
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2005, 08:37:11 PM »
In the previous post, I set forth the recipe I followed to make a "lite" version of DKM's now famous deep-dish pizza. Subsequent to that post, I decided to make a 12-inch version, using the new 12-inch deep-dish pan (the dark PSTK version) I had bought from pizzatools.com. I scaled DKM's recipe down to the 12-inch size and made another "lite" deep-dish pizza from the scaled formulation for the dough. I did everything pretty much the same as the earlier and smaller version in terms of ingredients and dough processing. When the pizza came out of the oven, I was, frankly, disappointed by the results. The pizza looked nice (see the photos below), but the dough was--inexplicably--softer than I had wanted. I sampled a slice (the one shown in the slice photo below) and it tasted fine but, in my opinion, wasn't quite as good as the previous one. I took photos with the thought of posting them, as I do even when they don't represent my very best efforts, but declined to do so this time since I didn't think they would advance the purposes of this forum--to show people how to make good pizzas, not mediocre ones, even if they look beautiful to the eye.

As it so happened, at the time I was scheduled to go out of town, so rather than trying to eat the whole pizza before I left, I decided instead to cut it into slices and to freeze them for possible future use. Tonight, as I was rummaging through my freezer for something to eat, I saw the frozen deep-dish slices staring me in the face. At first, I didn't know whether to stare back or what. But hunger has a way of forcing a decision and I decided to sample them again. I removed two slices from the freezer and defrosted each in my microwave for about 2-3 minutes. I then put each in my toaster oven at around 450 degrees F for about 7 minutes, expecting, once again, to be disappointed. I am not trying to build up a crescendo of suspense here, but let me tell you, they were wonderful!!. They were flavorful, the crust was of nice texture, the flavor of the 6-in-1s came through, and, overall, the pizza was thoroughly enjoyable. And, the best part ?: I have a bunch more slices still in the freezer. And they are fairly low-fat to boot.

Because of my satisfaction with the pizza, I decided to post the photos of the pizza, in whole and slice form. I still think I can do better, and I will continue to experiment with DKM's recipe, but for now I am a happy camper.

Peter

« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 09:34:52 PM by Pete-zza »