Author Topic: Food Network's "Will Work For Food"  (Read 5197 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Food Network's "Will Work For Food"
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:11:01 PM »
Adam Gertler was essentially the guy who I wanted to win the fourth season of The Next Food Network Star.  Alas, he didn't, but that's just fine.  I think the format that they came up with for him is better than the one he pitched about helping people online (e.g. email, webcam) with dinner recipe ideas.  For the fans of Discovery Channel's Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe, this will be familiar territory.  At some point in the series it is certainly conceivable that Adam will face working in a pizzeria.  If someone else doesn't beat me to it, and I don't forget, I'll update this thread with the scheduled broadcast date and time of any pizza related episodes.  In the meantime I think I will enjoy the general format of the show as well as Adam's quick wit and humor.

Premieres: Monday, January 19, 2009 @ 8:30 PM CST

http://www.foodnetwork.com/will-work-for-food/index.html

- red.november
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:18:49 PM by November »

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
Re: Food Network's "Will Work For Food"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 04:05:23 AM »
It appears the first pizza related episode will feature an eating competition.

"Ten minutes on the clock, and lots of pizza to eat!"

Feb 09, 2009 @ 8:30 PM ET/PT
Feb 10, 2009 @ 3:30 AM ET/PT
Feb 15, 2009 @ 4:30 PM ET/PT

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food-network-specials/bbq-pitmaster-and-competitive-eater/index.html

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:58:31 PM »
RN,

I've got to mark those dates in my calendar. Thanks for sharing.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline BigMike

• Eat, Drink and Be Merry
    • The Hungry New Englander
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 03:51:21 PM »
Next Monday's episode will include "the art of pizza tossing".

Monday 2/23/09 9:30-10pm Eastern

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food-network-specials/pizza-tosser-and-cider-maker/index.html

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:54:03 PM by BigMike »

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:24:01 PM »
I'm with you, November....  I was really hoping that Adam Gertler would win...

But isn't it interesting that Aaron McCargo's show is still on during the daytime hours only, whereas Adam has the more prized primetime slot?

I think that speaks volumes!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »
But isn't it interesting that Aaron McCargo's show is still on during the daytime hours only, whereas Adam has the more prized primetime slot?

Well it's Sunday versus Monday.  I don't know what Food Network values more: 1) Any time slot on Sunday because it's during the weekend or 2) prime time slot on Monday.  On the face of it, Food Network appears to be catering more to Adam's show.  I think they realize that it has a potentially greater viewing audience since it isn't just about food.  It's also about dirty jobs and antics.

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 05:54:32 PM »
Well it's Sunday versus Monday.  I don't know what Food Network values more: 1) Any time slot on Sunday because it's during the weekend or 2) prime time slot on Monday.  On the face of it, Food Network appears to be catering more to Adam's show.  I think they realize that it has a potentially greater viewing audience since it isn't just about food.  It's also about dirty jobs and antics.

I can't speak for the rest of the population, but I almost never turn the TV on during the day.  Weekend days are spent running errands with DH and doing projects around the house.  I would think that the majority of the population settles in front of the TV in the evening when all else is done.  So, I have never seen Aaron's show, but I do watch Adam's.  You're right, his demographic would be much larger because of the other aspects of the show.  I am happy that he is on prime time where I can watch him.

~sd

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 06:30:37 PM »
sd,

In a world of DVRs time and day shouldn't matter, but I usually have more time on the weekends to find shows I want to record on my DVR for the weekend and upcoming week.  If others followed this model, weekend shows might have an advantage for some if recording space is limited and a weekday show is initially left out until more space is available, but then ultimately forgotten.  It's been a long time since I've perused a paper-bound TV Guide, but I bet the shows that came on "newsstand day" had the best viewership.

- red.november

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 07:34:30 PM »
red.november,

I guess I kinda forgot about the DVR thing... yes, I have one, but I use it to "tape" primetime shows and didn't even think of recording shows on during the day!   I won't give you that "of a certain age" crap because I have stepped up to the newer technologies in MANY ways, but some things still fly under the radar for me.  But, I have my DVR set up to record series, first run only, so I don't have to look at the Yahoo "TV Guide" too often.

Now, if they would just give John Besh another shot at Next Iron Chef.... still don't like Michael Symon.  Last night, the judges dissed almost every dish he presented and gave many compliments to his competitor, and he still took the win, albeit by one point.  I know it's all rigged, but jeez....

I'm glad the also-rans get a shot on Food Network, and hope that John Besh will be next.

~sd

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 07:45:23 PM »
sd,

As a matter of fact I'm transferring the last "Will Work for Food" episode over to my computer right now for grabbing a few stills from the pizza eating competition.  I'll post them a little while later.  DVR statistics for fun: http://www.ndsworld.com/press_releases/NDS_DVR_Survey-US_030908.html

Now, if they would just give John Besh another shot at Next Iron Chef.

Now that's just eery.  I thought Chef Besh should have won too.  He was my favorite since the first episode of competition.  I don't have a problem with Chef Symon on Dinner Impossible.  I think he's more civil to his helpers (volunteers and soux chefs) on the show than Chef Irvine generally was.  I do still think Chef Besh would have been better at the Iron Chef gig.

- red.november
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:46:59 PM by November »

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 08:19:07 PM »
Very interesting article, red.november... and I certainly agree that they are easier to operate than VCRs... much less room for error.  Thanks for the link.

I, too, (along with DH since he and Besh are both former Marines) rooted for Besh from the beginning.

I do, however, have a problem with Symon on Dinner Impossible (and am very glad that they are bringing back Robert Irvine in March!) because his challenges are nowhere near as "impossible" as Irvine's were... and, he may be more "civil" but, I can testify that after years under a lot of pressure as the manager of a busy service deli, feeding hundreds of people with their special requests (and we won't even talk about Christmas catering) every day, I think Chef Irvine is much more realistic than the pussyfooting of Michael Symon.  You work to build a good rapport with your sous chefs, (or your crew and assistants in the deli) so that they understand and respect your under-pressure attitudes.  I really felt that Irvine had established that rapport and he was much more fun to watch because of it.

~sd

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »
Attached are some stills from the pizza eating competition on the previous episode of Will Work for Food.  Adam accomplished eating 16 slices, while the winner engulfed 45 slices.  Adam's mentor on the show (presented in the four "tip" stills) achieved 20 slices.

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 08:31:55 PM »
This image with Adam shows what failure looks like.

EDIT: Changed image since Mike posted the image again.  This image has less "see-food."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:40:09 PM by November »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 08:34:52 PM »
Mmmmm....See-food.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

pizzapan