Author Topic: New guy seeking advice  (Read 4942 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: New guy seeking advice
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »
Nice Job John, thats nothing to laugh at!
Thats a good start. You can use the back side of a cookie sheet for a temporary peel to try the stone and have 1 more pizza before you go back to work ;D Make sure you heat the stone 1 hr min to get the best results
So this dough was made and cooked within 2 hrs? I have never tried that emergency dough very interestsing. Is that a mixture of cheeses and what temp was the oven?
Next try to let it refridgerate for a day or 2 you will notice a difference in taste and texture.
Keep up the good work !
John C
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:10:56 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JohnLondon

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 12:40:55 PM »
Was cooked at maximum temp on my oven which apparently is 475 degrees.
Yes, all done within 2 hours or thereabouts
The cheese is grated(by me) mozzarella.Not the type that comes in water, but the more processed? variety.

I think my problem is going to be that I am not very methodical . I need to get into a routine and stick to it.That way I can make adjustments and know what effect it has.I will get there  :chef:

Offline JohnLondon

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »
I did try the stone in the oven for size.Unfortunately the shelves have a lip at the rear, probably 1/2 inch high.If I have the stone flat on the shelf it touches the door when shut.Is that OK? Is it OK to place the rear of the stone on top of the lip,so its at a slight angle,woiuldnt be enough to displace the topping I think.

Offline s00da

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 01:08:16 PM »
John,

That looks really good. You don't wanna see my first pizza, it wasn't even edible.  :P

s00da

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 01:38:13 PM »
I would think it could touch is it touching glass or surrounding metal? However If the brick keeps the door open thatwould not be good.  I would try to get rid of the lip in the back (Pliers / Hack Saw?)Can the stone be notched with a diamond blade? Its not structural? just keep pans from sliding out the back. I have the same lip but in the wolf oven the  brick goes on on special metal rack that holds brick in place on bottom of oven over an extra element that plugs in  and sits on the floor of the oven when using the "Bake Stone" setting The other 18" square brick goes on top and slips right in too. I would think you would want to run flat stone.

If theres a will theres a way!
John

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »
I did try the stone in the oven for size.Unfortunately the shelves have a lip at the rear, probably 1/2 inch high.If I have the stone flat on the shelf it touches the door when shut.Is that OK? Is it OK to place the rear of the stone on top of the lip,so its at a slight angle,woiuldnt be enough to displace the topping I think.
Get an unglazed tile the thickness of the lip height (1/2") and place it on the wire rack at the front of the oven, that way your stone will be supported front and back and you can push it away from the oven door.

PNW

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 04:12:06 PM »
Perfect PNW Build up not out ;)

Offline JohnLondon

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 06:34:09 PM »
Sounds like a plan .Will do that.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »
While your at it get few tiles for top rack too! I like the 2 stone method indoors
JOhn

Offline Deacon Volker

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 11:44:14 PM »
John, don't know if it will work in your particular brand of oven but one trick I learned from my cake baking wife was one could turn the rack "upside down" to get that darn lip out of the way of her bigger pans.  That's the routine I've adapted for my stone as well, in fact we just started leaving that rack inverted.

Offline JohnLondon

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 04:00:40 AM »
Never thought of that , Deacon.Will give it a go.

Offline JohnLondon

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 07:06:29 PM »
With a dough that has been cold fermented for a couple of days, do you need to do anything to it prior to cooking? Do you just let it sit and get to room temp,then shape it? Do you have to knead it again?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 07:38:29 PM »
John,

I can only agree with Peter & JConk. You did a great job.  :chef:

Your pizza is a work of art compared to my first one (see pic). It was a disaster   ;D

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 07:46:03 PM »
With a dough that has been cold fermented for a couple of days, do you need to do anything to it prior to cooking? Do you just let it sit and get to room temp,then shape it? Do you have to knead it again?
Don't re-knead !  Room temp is good, you can usually work with it a bit colder.

PNW

Offline JohnLondon

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2009, 04:50:33 AM »
I made the dough formula given in reply #10 of this thread.Made it Thursday morning, has been in the refridgerator since.Had a look at it this morning, and as you can see its really bubbly??or holey??Is it no good now?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2009, 06:19:26 AM »
JohnLondon,

There are two recipes in Reply 10. One will produce a dough that will ferment a lot faster than the other and be prone to more bubbling than the other. Which is the one you used?  Bubbling is a normal phenomenon but excessive bubbling can be a sign of rapid fermentation (usually because of using a lot of yeast and/or a warm fermentation environment) or overfermentation (the dough being held too long).

Peter

Offline JohnLondon

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2009, 06:43:23 AM »
Flour (100%):170.39 g  |  6.01 oz | 0.38 lbs
Water (60%):102.23 g  |  3.61 oz | 0.23 lbs
IDY (0.40%):0.68 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.23 tsp | 0.08 tbsp
Salt (1.75%):2.98 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.53 tsp | 0.18 tbsp
Olive Oil (1%):1.7 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 0.38 tsp | 0.13 tbsp
Total (163.15%):277.99 g | 9.81 oz | 0.61 lbs | TF = 0.0867   

This is the one I used Peter. I should mention it, because I dont know if it matters, but I havent touched the dough at all.Havent punched it down or anything.
Can this dough be used?

PS, as soon as the dough was made it was placed in its container, on the bottom shelf at the back of the fridge.The lid of the container was left open a little bit.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 06:44:56 AM by JohnLondon »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 07:18:30 AM »
JohnLondon,

If you followed the instructions correctly, I think your dough should be OK. You shouldn't re-knead, re-ball or punch down the dough. You want to remove it gently from its container when you are ready to use it. If the lid of your container was open too much, you might have gotten a slight drying of the exposed surface of the dough. That might impede handling and shaping the dough a bit but I don't see it as a real problem.

Peter

Offline JohnLondon

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 07:22:22 AM »
OK, thanks Peter, will try it anyway. Made the 9 hour dough recipe I used last week as well...just as a back up  ;D

Offline JohnLondon

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2009, 09:08:09 AM »
Used the dough last night.Was difficult to shape,ended up using a rolling pin.Avoided pinching the edges as much as possible.Tasted OK but was very crispy.