Author Topic: Variability in My Weigh KD 7000 scale  (Read 2649 times)

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
Variability in My Weigh KD 7000 scale
« on: January 11, 2009, 05:00:34 PM »
When weighing pizza balls today on the My Weigh KD 7000, I sensed an inconsistency in the weights shown so after putting the balls in the refrigerator, I took a container of dough and weighed it on both my older Salter scale and the My Weigh KD 7000. The Salter showed a weight of 716 grams on 4 of the 5 trials. On the other hand, the KD 7000 showed a variability from 698 to 723 grams. No two trials were the same. The weights were 723-698-713-708-717. I am concerned that I am getting unreliable and invalid readings. Since this scale came highly recommended, I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. Am I missing something?

bakerbill

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Variability in My Weigh KD 7000 scale
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 05:52:43 PM »
I am one of those My Weigh non lovers! Are you using batteries or ac transformer? I have found that with batteries that are rundown the scale will give strange results. When I recharge the batteries the scale becomes more consistent and easier to use.

Overall my scale is pretty hard to use in that the buttons some times don't respond unless you really hit them pretty hard. The transformer I had died already so I use rechargeable batteries.

I can't wait until it dies and that will give me an excuse to get something better!

PNW

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »
bakerbill,

I just got the 8000 model from this company a week ago. I'll see if I have that same issue with mine. One thing it mentioned in my instructions is to make sure the scale is on a level table or else it might affect the readings.

Chris

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »
I replaced the batteries, placed it on a level counter (I checked the first counter with a 3 foot level and it was level) and got the same variability. The location makes it inconvenient to use the adapter, but I see no reason why it should be necessary. The Salter uses a battery and works just fine. I may simply go back to using the Salter.

bakerbill

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:36:04 AM »
bakerbill,

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you have a bad scale. You might want to try to get it replaced if it still in the warranty period.

Peter

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:04:20 AM »
I have the same scale and found it to repeat within a gram. Batteries are not new. I agree with Peter, a bad scale.

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:53:43 PM »
I used my 8000 model today and had repeatability within a gram, so yea...maybe that's a defective unit.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 08:52:28 PM »
Another thought. Lift off the platform and make sure nothing is under it.
Make sure the plastic protective (flip up) cover on the control buttons is down. When up all the way, it can hit the platform and mess up readings. I think the cover is removable.

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:31:37 PM »
apizza,

That was the ticket!  I removed the cover, cleaned off the flour that had accumulated, took off the plastic cover and cleaned beneath it. I weighed and re-weighed a container and the scale performed perfectly.  Thanks for solving that mystery.

bakerbill

pizzapan