Author Topic: mixing flour types??  (Read 1723 times)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
mixing flour types??
« on: January 26, 2005, 01:08:04 AM »
Has anyone tried a dough that mixes flour types?

for example..
1 cup high-gluten
1 cup all purpose or 00
1/2 cup pastry flour

I think all high-gluten flour might be a bit too leathery for my tastes.. i like the crust crispy on the outside but super soft on the inside.

someone suggested to try all purpose or 00 ... but i couldnt stand the doughs i made with all all purpose flour.. for some reason when the pizza is made with all purpose only its all i can taste on the finished pizza, every bite of dough tastes like im eating flour from a bag.

helpl   ???

Offline Lars

• Greetings from Venice.
    • Lars in Venice
Re: mixing flour types??
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 07:45:40 PM »
I like to add semolina flour to my dough, and I also add a bit of vital wheat gluten, but only a couple of tablespoons for 5 to 6 cups of regular flour.  The last dough I made with one part semolina to four parts bread flour, but I think you could increase that.  Semolina flour gives it a chewier texture, and so if you want it soft inside, you might not like that.  I think also that to have it crisp on the outside and soft inside you need to have a good proportion of water.  When I bake bread, I spray the loaves with water to make the crust crispier and have a pan of water in the bottom of the oven, but I don't know if that works for pizza, since the topping already has a lot of water.

What oven temperature are you using?

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
Re: mixing flour types??
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 04:12:56 AM »
whatsup lars... i use a 500 degree oven.

i have high gluten flour im using now but im thinking maybe to mix it with something else.

when i used to make crust with only all purpose i couldnt stand the taste, all i could taste in the finished crust was the flour.

i might try some semolina flour to see whats up.. if i use 3 cups of flour how many cups of semolina should i substitute?

pizzapan