Author Topic: Is this NY Style or American ?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Is this NY Style or American ?
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »
Just curious is it the recipe or topping or what is the difference in the 2 styles

I made this pie during the last weekend foray with the HRI success
just in case it did not come out right well didn't need this one but cooked and had for lunch the next day.
thrown together in like 10 min My good old standby recipe I started with a while back
Would be good for beginners and no problem to use same day or emergency 2 hrs rise and cook

1 Tbs ADY
3/4 c warm water
2 cups pillsbury AP
3/4 cup KA bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs. evoo

right into fridge for 20 hrs. the 4 hr room rise
Ran out of shredded Mozz. so I added some cheddar did not feel like cleaning grater again
Topped with left over sausage and Hormel Pepperoni

Thanks for replies

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 02:35:50 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: Is this NY Style or American ?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »
JC,

Rating those two pies only by the pic is kind of tough.

They look somewhat similar, except for the toppings maybe. NY style usually has a thin crust and American is a bit thicker but it's hard to tell from the pics you posted. Maybe posting a couple of photos of individual slices so we can see the thickness of the two crust might help to distinguish between the two types.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
will do next time, leftovers dont last too long around here :) But the center is very thin I am thinking along the lines of .08 or less and the crust is crispy on the bottom and does not really sag or fold until it has sit for a bit
thanks
 john

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:39:12 PM »
John,
Unless I am missing something, you don't mention how you baked the pies... they look pretty blonde for being baked in a WFO, so I'm assuming you made them in the kitchen oven?  What temp did you bake them at?

Not sure type really matters as long as the pizza makes you happy!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 07:13:34 PM »
Yes Sourdough
These are from the kitchen oven on directlly stone at 500. the WFO is shut down for the New Jersey Winter  :'(   -2 degrees yesterday thats why I am toying with the various recipies here on the forum so far  P -Hut pan, chicago thin, Home run Inn, deep dish w/ semolina, DKM cracker....., cooked light for reheat could not eat anymore pizza on that day these were a bonus.  I plan to try your thick crust you have posted as well good to see you back!
BTW all pizza makes me happy :D

Thanks
John
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:15:24 PM by JConk007 »

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 07:31:20 PM »
Thanks, John!
It's good to BE back... it was a rough go there for a while, and I still have problems, but I'm back and as sassy as ever!  LOL!

Thanks for the clarification on the oven!  I can understand baking pies indoors right now... we had 18" of snow on the ground for nearly a month!  Unhead of up here, just north of Seattle!  I have not made any 2stone pizzas for quite a while due to weather and health.  But, spring is coming and I'm getting antsy to fire that baby up.

I agree with Mike, it's hard to tell without a slice view, but it sounds good to me whether you classify it as NY or American!

I hope you will let us know how you like my Tommy's sicilian style crust...

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!