Author Topic: NY/NJ style pie with toppings  (Read 8058 times)

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
NY/NJ style pie with toppings
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:52:08 AM »
Hey guys, been gone for a while. Took some pics of a pie I made recently using my method.

500g All Trumps Flour
289g Reverse Osmosis Filtered Water
3g Instant Yeast
11g Ground Sea Salt
4g Onion Powder
4g Fine Garlic Powder
1-2 TBS Olive Oil

Weigh out water, put in bowl
I weigh everything in the same bowl, so...
Dump flour in, weigh out right amount
Put yeast in, weigh
Put salt in, weigh
Put onion powder in, weigh
Put garlic in, weigh

Start mixer with just water in it.
Slowly add 3/4 of this mix of everything
Add olive oil.. mine is in a squirt bottle, so I just squirt for about 3-4 secs, which I think is about 1.5 TBS of oil, maybe a little more.
Slowly add the rest of the "mix"
Set timer for 10 mins and leave on speed 1
Sometimes around 9 mins I add just a pinch more of flour if it seems sticky

Take out dough ball to cutting board and split into 2 balls.
I hand knead each one for about 1 minute just to get the ball nice and tight
Put in pan/bowl for at least 12 hours in the frig.. I prefer 24-36 hours for taste/feel
I usually take the dough out 30-60mins before I make the actual pie

This one was baked on my grill, on my Satillo tiles that I custom cut to make a 19" x 19" surface.
About 650 deg for 6 mins or so, I may have turned it and thrown in back in for 1 more min, I can't remember

Anyways, I make about 2 of these a week, sometimes more. I used to have a gas oven that I modified to go up to 1100 deg. That made some great pies. My Wife made me throw it out when we were finished remodeling out kitchen.. Man I miss that oven. So I am going to build my own gas powered outdoor oven out of firebrick this summer. I will definitely document that process. For now I connected my outside Vermont Castings grill to my natural gas. I only have to preheat for 15-20 mins before I put the pie on. I can easily get this thing to 800+, but, the pies seem to cook good on it anywhere from 550-700 deg.

At the very end are pics of a twist style french bread I made using a "starter". I believe it was a recipe from the King Arthur site.

http://victortheband.com/graphics/Andy/pdough1.jpg
http://victortheband.com/graphics/Andy/pdough2.jpg
http://victortheband.com/graphics/Andy/pdough3.jpg
http://victortheband.com/graphics/Andy/pdough4.jpg
http://victortheband.com/graphics/Andy/pdough5.jpg
http://victortheband.com/graphics/Andy/pdough6.jpg
http://victortheband.com/graphics/Andy/pdough7.jpg
http://victortheband.com/graphics/Andy/pdough8.jpg
http://victortheband.com/graphics/Andy/twistbread1.jpg
http://victortheband.com/graphics/Andy/twistbread2.jpg
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:56:05 AM by abilak »

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: NY/NJ style pie with toppings
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:50:19 AM »
Abilak,

Looks good.

I remember your posts here - http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7045.msg60498.html#msg60498

When did you move to adding garlic powder and onion powder to your recipe? What taste differences have you seen from that?

Also, this is what I came up with in the calculator:

Flour (100%):    498.15 g  |  17.57 oz | 1.1 lbs
Water (58%):    288.93 g  |  10.19 oz | 0.64 lbs
IDY (.6%):    2.99 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.99 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
Salt (2%):    9.96 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.08 tsp | 0.69 tbsp
Olive Oil (2%):    9.96 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.21 tsp | 0.74 tbsp
Total (162.6%):   810 g | 28.57 oz | 1.79 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball:   405 g | 14.29 oz | 0.89 lbs

Look about right?

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 07:59:52 AM »
Pretty close. Maybe a pinch more salt (11g), and I would say the oil is around 1.5-2 TBS.
I forgot to add that after I put the sauce on the stretched dough, I grind sea salt on the pie, about 7-9 grinds on my grinder.. that gives it a little more taste in my opinion. So the total salt content is a little higher overall.

I decided I would try to add the onion and garlic powder for a little flavor.
I made a pie one night with it in, then the next without..
I didn't tell anyone what I was doing... 3 of 3 unsuspecting people said the first night's crust tasted better (the one with garlic and onion powder). So, I usually put it in now... I think is adds just a very subtle flavor.
I made another one last night, I got pics of that one I will put up later today.

One thing I noticed is that I am turning the temp down a bit, 600-620deg, and cooking 6-7 mins, no bottom charring.
I don't know what it is, but my indoor modified oven that went to 1100 had the "magic" touch... at around 900-1000, 3 mins and the pizza was absolutely perfect... real nice slight char on the bottom, just enough to give it a little taste.. it's harder to gauge on the grill, i have charred the bottom of a few a little too much, just by leaving them on an extra 30 seconds or so... using that thing takes a mix of science and lots of "feel" to get them just right. I can't complain though, I never thought I would be able to make pizza's this good. We haven't ordered a pizza from a shop in over 3 years.. We only stopped to get a slice if we are walking around in downtown orlando or something... Good thing I am usually in the mood to make pizza or dough, or we would be in trouble...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:11:16 AM by abilak »

Offline BurntEdges

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »
Abilak,

Nice looking twistbread!

I searched the King Arthur site (under recipes) for twistbread, but only could find a cinnamon variety.  Do you recall the name of the recipe, or could you provide a link to it?  Thanks.

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:32:33 AM »
I probably called it the wrong thing, "twist bread" -- I just used that name because it was braided. It is actually an "Italian" style bread.
Here is the recipe:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/RecipeDisplay?RID=R216

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:36:18 AM »
Because the dough calculating tools do not include onion powder and garlic powder as ingredients, one has to devise the baker's percent format the old fashioned way, using pencil and paper and a calculator. Using this approach, the baker's percents are as follows:

100%, All Trumps flour, 500 g.
57.8%, Water (RO, filtered), 289 g.
0.60%, IDY, 3 g.
2.2%, Sea salt, 11 g.
0.80%, Onion powder, 4 g.
0.80%, Fine garlic powder, 4 g.
4.04999%, Olive oil, 20.25 g. (I used 1 1/2 T. for the calculation)
Total percents = 166.24999%
Total dough weight = 832.25 g., or 29.36 oz.
Single dough ball weight = 416.13 g., or 14.68 oz.

What is missing from abilak is the size of the pizza he made using a single dough ball. That would allow us to determine the thickness factor for his skins, and allow one to make a dough batch size for any size of pizza. This calculation is fairly straightforward but it also has to be done manually.

It is fairly common for pizza operators and other pizza makers to add things like onion powder and garlic powder to the dough. The danger is using too much. That can affect the dough and its performance, as was discussed at Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6680.msg57325.html#msg57325.

Peter

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:48:19 AM »
Pete, with that formula I make 16" pizza's on a screen.. so they are pretty much exactly 16" -- They are definitely on the thinner side, but not the thinnest I have made. This seems to be a good all-around formula for me.. I can load it with sauce and tons of cheese, and it still gets crispy on the bottom, or I can put on a regular amount and it still comes out good.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »
Pete, with that formula I make 16" pizza's on a screen.. so they are pretty much exactly 16" --

abilak,

For a 16" skin using 14.68 ounces of dough, the corresponding thickness factor is 14.68/(3.14159 x 8 x 8) = 14.68/201.06176 = 0.0730123. So, if someone wants to make, say, a 14" pizza, the amount of dough needed would be 3.14159 x 7 x 7 x 0.0730123 = 11.23936 ounces, or 11.2396 x 28.35 = 318.64 g. To determine the amount of flour for that size dough ball, we divide 11.23936 by 1.6624999 (this is the total percents figure divided by 100), which is 11.23936/1.6624999 = 6.7605 ounces of flour, or 191.66 g. To determine the amounts for the rest of the ingredients, the weight of flour, 6.7605 ounces, is multiplied by each of the baker's percents for the other ingredients. In this case, the water is 3.91 oz. (110.8 g.), the IDY is 0.041 oz. (1.15 g.) (a little over 1/3 t.), the sea salt is 0.15 oz. (4.22 g.) (a bit over 3/4 t.), the onion powder is 0.05 oz. (1.53 g.) (a bit over 1/2 t.), the garlic powder is 0.05 oz. (1.53 g.) (a bit over 1/2 t.), and the olive oil is 0.27 oz. (7.76 g.) (a bit less than 1 3/4 t.). All of the above was done using a calculator and conversion data. That exercise is a time consuming one with a high risk of making simple mathematical errors.

Phillip (Flagpull) perhaps has the better way to proceed and that is to ignore the garlic powder and onion powder and use one of the dough calculating tools, especially since the garlic and onion powders weigh very little and aren't going to affect the total dough ball weight in any material manner. Doing this with the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html for the 14" example gives us the following:

All Trumps Flour (100%):
Water (57.8%):
IDY (0.60%):
Sea Salt (2.2%):
Olive Oil (4.04999%):
Total (164.64999%):
193.52 g  |  6.83 oz | 0.43 lbs
111.86 g  |  3.95 oz | 0.25 lbs
1.16 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.39 tsp | 0.13 tbsp
4.26 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.76 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
7.84 g | 0.28 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.74 tsp | 0.58 tbsp
318.63 g | 11.24 oz | 0.7 lbs | TF = 0.073012
Note: For a 14" pizza

To the above, I would just add a little more than a half teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder. For those who are interested, especially if other pizza sizes are used for purposes of the expanded dough calculating tool, one teaspoon of each of those powders weighs 0.09406323 oz. (based on 1 T. = 8 g.)

Peter

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 12:43:43 PM »
Peter, to be honest... that's how I started.. with the dough calculator.. then I just slowly modified the ratios until I got the dough that worked best for me. I can toss this stuff, stretch the crap out of it, leave it thicker, get it real thin, and it doesn't tear. The only variable is the pinch or two of flour I throw in at the end, about 7-8 mins into the mixing process.. it's just a "feel" thing. But yeah, but I started without using the powders, then slowly incorporated them, and made some adjustments. Maybe next time I make dough I'll weigh those small amounts of flour I add at the end, for a true total weight of the flour. And I am sure I can weigh the oil too, to get this thing right on for people that are interested in making this same dough.
I'll see if I can get those pics of that other pie up later when I get home from work.. I got a bad memory sometimes,  :chef:

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 01:06:50 PM »
I can toss this stuff, stretch the crap out of it, leave it thicker, get it real thin, and it doesn't tear.

abilak,

I think the positive attributes of your dough come from the combination of low hydration for the type of flour used and olive oil in fairly large amount. Many professionals use a hydration like yours (around 57-59%) for high gluten flours because it is easier for the workers on the line to make skins out of the dough at that lower hydration. The All Trumps high-gluten flour has a rated absorption value of around 63%, but at that value the dough can become quite extensible and difficult to work with, especially if the workers are inexperienced, which they usually are almost by definition because they tend to be hourly workers like high school and college kids who come and go almost without warning and before they develop the skills needed to work with high hydrations doughs. The 4+% oil in your case helps create a more "plastic" dough because of the way that the oil coats the gluten strands.

Peter

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
Peter, thanks for the info!
It all makes sense now... I do prefer how easy this dough is to handle.. it's just great...

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
More pizza pics with this dough recipe
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 08:12:36 AM »
Here are the pics of the other pie I made with the same batch of dough
San Marzano Tomatoes, whole, crushed then lightly boat-motored with a tiny bit of sugar, salt, and oregano
A little dried basil on that
Ricotta cheese then part-skim mozz, then a little provolone
Half a white onion
Then pepperoni with half fresh habanero on half the pie (my Wife is nuts, but she eats it)
This one was 620deg for 6 mins, then I checked the bottom, turned it, and put it in for 1 more min.
16", tasty.

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 01:10:08 PM »
abilak,

I made the dough from Peter's post above, 9 minute mix, overnight rise, and the result seemed to be close to yours.

Baked on bottom rack on a screen, 550 degrees. I liked it a lot.

Cheese was 50/50 Provolone, Mozzarella.

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 01:33:16 PM »
Nice man, pizza looks great!
How did you like the feel of the dough.. stretching wise? did you throw a pinch or two more of flour at the end of the mixing process? i feel this helps to make it a little bit "tougher" after the rise, which prevents tearing.
Was that the sargento 50/50 mozz/prov blend? if so, I have been using that lately and I really like it.
once again, tasty lookin pizza!!

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 02:07:34 PM »
I did, actually I mixed it in during hand kneading.

The dough was nice. Very stretchable, very tossable, actually. I feel as though I could beat the hell out of it and it'd be okay.

That Sargento blend is OKAY, I've been working on a midwestern style pizza so I use that, for that. We also use a 50/50 provolone/mozz blend at work, so I do get sick of the flavor some times.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 03:47:16 PM »
Probably mentioned somewhere but whats the thickness factor on this dough so I can go for multiple 12's I will let you know how it holds up in the WFO with like 25% caputo 00 in the spring.
Flag ,
whats the sauce on your pizza, Looks like a thik puree type?  nice and stiff looking.
thanks
JC
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:49:24 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
Found it in other post as calculated by peter .08 with 1% waste
thanks
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 04:03:07 PM »
@jconky, abilak:

Here was the second pizza, a bit different prep, crushed tomatoes as a sauce, still 50/50 prov/mozz, this time baked directly on my stones, no screen.

Nice flavor, still, bottom browned a bit more than I would have liked but still very very good.

The full gallery here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pgiven/Pizza1142009#

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 04:35:49 PM »
Flagpull,

That's an interesting mat, with all the measurements on it. Where did you get it from?
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 04:38:59 PM »

pizzapan