Author Topic: storing tomatoes  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Bluesology

• Blind Dog Pizza
storing tomatoes
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:49:38 PM »
I had my father purchase some 6 in 1 tomatoes for me - he lives in Michigan and has GFS near him.  I don't know why I didn't expect it, I've been to Gordon Foods numerous times but I was a bit surprised to get one of the six pound cans.  In terms of storing what I don't use right away, would it be best to just use canning jars?  And if so, stored in a cool place, like the basement?

Chad

Offline Navin Johnson

Re: storing tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »
I get mine from GFS in Michigan also.  I break it down into smaller portions and freeze them with fine results.

Offline Navin Johnson

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:21:24 PM »
a follow up to my original reply.  I've been away from the site for awhile but have been reading some of what I missed while I was gone and saw some discussion on freezing crushed tomatoes/sauce.  In particular there is a point made by Red November (and perhaps others) that freezing may lead to poor results due to the membranes rupturing, resulting in watery sauce or separated sauce.  He's right about this.  I have frozen sauce in the past, and it hasn't turned out poorly, but it might be better without the freezing. 

Depending on how fast you go through sauce, it may be best to just keep the whole huge amount in the fridge.  Red November says that he keeps his in the fridge for weeks with no problems (and I think he's right on this - lots of things can stay fine in fridge longer than people sometimes think).  I think I might be trying this myself, since when I'm in pizza cooking season I go through 28 oz. of sauce a week easily.

Offline koloa101

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »
hi,
i recently got me one of those large 6 in 1 cans. do i just place the unused portion, still in can, in the fridge? or is it better to put the unused sauce it some glass container to store in the fridge?

thanks!