Author Topic: Could it be? 6 in 1 at the grocery ??  (Read 2585 times)

Offline mykall

Could it be? 6 in 1 at the grocery ??
« on: November 02, 2008, 12:44:56 PM »
Yesterday on the way home, I stopped off at a Kroger grocery store I never use because I'm not usually in that area of town.  I took a looksy down the tomater' isle and guess what I found on the shelf?  Yup....6 in 1 ground tomatoes!  I really thought after checking even gourmet stores that I'd have to get these mail order.  What a surprise and even though they are $2.78/can I don't have to pay shipping.

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
Re: Could it be? 6 in 1 at the grocery ??
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »
I order direct from Escalon and, with shipping included, it's $16.50 for (6) 28 oz. cans.  That's $2.75 per can.  :-\  Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline mykall

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 01:40:28 PM »
That IS a good deal Art!  I was just shocked that I could find these locally, and a regular grocery store at that.  I've checked just about every local gourmet store and haven't been able to find them. 

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »
We have Krogers here in Georgia and I've never seen them there. What state are you in?    Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline mykall

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 07:07:21 PM »
Virginia, and we don't have many of them.  While Kroger is a HUGE chain they're not big in my area.  In fact the one on the other side of town closed down leaving just the one on the peninsula. 

Mike

Offline lazysean

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »
They carry it at the Krogers around here, too.  I still mail order it sometimes, for the convenience (Kroger's a bit out of my way) but I love knowing I can run over and pick some up on short notice.  It's funny, I used to buy almost all of my pizza supplies there.  They also carry King Arthur flours (not Sir Lancelot but still better than what most supermarkets stock) and they had this great pepperoni, I never actually figured out what the name of it was (it was by Hormel but it wasn't Rosa, it was two smaller and less regularly-shaped sticks packaged together).  Cupped and crisped like Ezzo and tasted fantastic.  They don't have it anymore, though.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 12:52:01 AM »
that is the rosa packaged for retail

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
Just ordered the 6 in 1 from escalon the other day for the Manalti DD as mentioned it came to $2.75 a can including the shipping if you buy 6
Cant wait! I have done a lot of DOP experimenting/ tasting in My brick oven, but never this style or tomatoe.
J
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline vonBanditos

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 09:42:28 AM »
Giant Eagle in N.E. Ohio also carries 6 in 1 but I believe that they are over $3.00/can. Good in a pinch when you've run out of them!