Author Topic: 6 in 1 sauce spices?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
6 in 1 sauce spices?
« on: January 12, 2009, 02:25:57 PM »
Alright, I just ordered some 6 in 1's (28 oz).  Anyone have good sauce recipes so I know how much and what kind of spices to add to it?
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: 6 in 1 sauce spices?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
P Crazy
Way too many recipes here to be specific. Is there  particular type of pizza you are using it for?
These tomatoes are so good it is acceptable to add nothing, this works on a deep dish. Sometimes I just add Penzey Pizza seasoning, thats got a bunch of everything in it and works very well orderthat at www.penzeyspices.com Most just add Basil, Oregano, EVOO, Salt, Pepper Black Pepper... I have added Tarragon, Sugar ,Thyme, Rosemary, White pepper,, Re Crushed crushed Red Pepper some ad Fennel.
As you can see and has been stated its a personal taste that will determine what you add. Start with the basic go Through sauce threads many pizza recipes also divulge the sauce recipe used on the particular pizza. Basic formula goes like this
Read Taste
 Read Read Taste again
    Taste read Taste again

Let your tounge do the talking     :P
oh
    AND HAVE FUN trying!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BTB

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 06:46:50 PM »
PC,

As John indicated, additions to a great sauce base, like my favorite 6 in 1, are a fairly individual thing.  Here's one of mine at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7606.msg65312.html#msg65312, but that should just be a start for which additives please your's or your guests' and family's taste buds.  There are many other ideas on this website, but you'll have to spend some time going through the threads to learn about them. Many are just satisfied with the taste of 6 in 1 just straight out of the can and that's, indeed, very good.

In lieu of Penzey's pizza spices, many local Italian deli's or places like Whole Foods or Fresh Market have their own version of pizza spice mixes for sale that one can try.  Other than that, oregano and basil are always great additions, but always, like everything, in moderation.  Have fun with it.

--BTB

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:30:10 PM »
PC,

If you're using 6 in 1's, I suggest you keep it simple.

The tomatoes have an already excellent taste on their own and you don't want to take that away with a ton of spices. I use only the basics, such as dried basil, dried oregano, a pinch of garlic powder and perhaps some red pepper flakes, if you don't put the red pepper flakes on your finished pizza already.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

pizzapan