Author Topic: ThermoKool 138  (Read 22980 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: ThermoKool 138
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2008, 01:56:22 PM »
Yeah, I tried calling them and received only a message.  The reviews are mixed which means they're either on-again-off-again legitimate with a spotty record, or the positive reviews are fake.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Park_Ave_Electronics_S_P_Eelectronics#reviews

Most of the negative reviews, including the scam reports were mainly from 2006.  This is the middle of 2008, and they're probably still a scam, but it seems strange that after all this time they haven't been reported to and shut down by the New York attorney general if they are in fact ripping people off.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2008, 07:29:10 PM »
Just received my ThermaKool mr-138 from Park Ave. Electronics...shipping  carton (from China via NYC) states 224 of 600, so my guess is they stockpiled alot of these, and have them to sell...paid by credit card online, no problems, received in L.A from NYC. within 10 days UPS ground...love the unit, can't wait to proof some dough.

Price paid delivered:  $104.78
Usefulness: Priceless

Dan
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:32:45 PM by pizza concerto »
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2008, 08:07:46 PM »
pc,

Good luck with your 138. Please post how well it maintains temperatures.

PNW

Offline koloa101

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2009, 03:02:38 PM »
hi,
is the thermokool mr 148 the same as the coldmate mr 148? they look identical. if they are not, which one is better?

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »
is the thermokool mr 148 the same as the coldmate mr 148?

I wasn't aware that Princess International was calling it a "ThermoKool" unit.  According to their website, they dropped the "ThermoKool" name for that model.  What that says to me is that it could be sold under any number of names chosen by retail channels.  I imagine that's why there's an asterisk in front of the model designation.  The thing to look for is certainly "MR-148."

http://www.giftsatprincess.com/display.asp?CategoryID=164&styleId=96818

Offline AZ-Buckeye

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 04:10:43 PM »
Just got mine.  It is called a Coldmate MR148 and is identical to pictures of the Princess MR-148.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2009, 06:45:36 AM »
Just got mine.  It is called a Coldmate MR148 and is identical to pictures of the Princess MR-148.

AZ,
I am looking at getting one of these.  Can you please comment on your satisfaction/experience.  Living in Canada, it's going to cost me as much in shipping as the cost of the product.  For now I've been using my sauna for fermenting dough.  These days it's about 62 degrees in there @ about 40% humidity, seems to be working really well.  That will all change though once spring & summer hits.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2009, 07:20:45 AM »
Doy ,
Can't I  just use my wolf warming drawer below oven? The Independent drawer goes from 60 - 200 F
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:41:55 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline AZ-Buckeye

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2009, 11:13:33 AM »
Matt -- I love the ColdMate 148.  In fact, I'm feeding my starter in it right now.  I use it to do a 24 hour proof at 60 degrees F and also to feed my starter at 80 degrees.  I have an outdoor woodfired oven and I can see bringing it outside in the summer during pizza parties to store my doughballs while I make pizzas so that the balls don't over ferment in the outdoor heat (and also using it to keep wine/beer cold outdoors).  It weighs only about 15 pounds and is easily transportable.  It even comes with a power adapter for the car.  The only problem I have noticed (and it is minor) is that it doesn't always stay exactly on the temp you set.  It wanders plus or minus a couple of degrees.  Before I got this unit, I was using the defrost cycle in my oven which can go as low as 75 degrees, but the oven didn't really like being on constantly for one or two days and I didn't like tying up the oven for extended periods.  Also, I wanted to proof my dough at something lower than 75 degrees.

The best price I found was at JR.com for $99.  I can't recall what they charged for shipping but I don't think it was very much.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2009, 11:29:12 AM »
Thanks AZ, I appreciate the feedback.  Shipping to me from JR.com is $74.56+UPS brokerage fees+Duty.  There is a company right across the border in Niagara Falls,NY  that I utilize as my US mailing address. They will receive shipment on my behalf for a fee of $5/box. I'm going to have JR send it there & take a day trip with the family to pick it up.  It only takes me about an hour & 15 minutes to the border from my place.  I'm getting a WFO this spring, although I have yet to decide on a model & manufacturer, I am leaning towards The Milano by Wildwood Ovens.

Thanks again,
Matt

Offline AZ-Buckeye

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2009, 11:34:31 AM »
Nothing better than cooking in a woodfired oven.  Mine is a Mugnaini.  We installed it just this past summer. 

Marianne

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »
I will second that Marianne!! Nice looking oven and under shelter too? Are you lucky enough to cook year round in your mugnaini? If you are  I am jealous Did you have it built or a contractor? What size interior?
John
oh AZ yes I presume I lived in ahwahtukee (sp?)over by the point steakhouse on the hill with the slide down, for a few years.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:41:09 PM by JConk007 »

Offline AZ-Buckeye

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2009, 04:34:12 PM »
John -- Yours looks pretty nice also!  Yes, mine is under our covered patio just off the kitchen (which makes it very convenient to use rain or snow.  I live in Sedona, AZ, which is a couple of hours north of Phoenix and at a fairly high altitude so we do have all four seasons and get some snow in winter -- but nothing to keep me from using the oven.   It is a 42 inch diameter oven (Mugnaini's Medio 110 model).  We (or should I say my husband) built it except for the stone work.

Marianne

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2009, 09:19:02 PM »
LOVE Sedona,
Did some climbing and Hiking there when I was in Az. Beautiful spot !!!

pizzapan