Author Topic: 6 in 1 Sauce Recipes  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
6 in 1 Sauce Recipes
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:54:22 PM »
Alright, I finally got my 6 in 1's in 28oz cans.  Anyone have a good spice recipes?  I'm new to making my own sauce so I'm looking for "exact" recipes and measurements like - 28oz 6-1, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp basil..... etc.  I got the smaller cans to experiment and I'm also waiting for some stanislaus Full Red to try out as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:10:48 AM by Pizzacrazy7 »
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: 6 in 1 Sauce Recipe 12oz can
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:12:36 PM »
Pizzacrazy,

Don't go overboard with the spices. The tomatoes have such a great taste and you don't want to mask it with a ton of spices. I found that sometimes less is more, using only the basic spices such as oregano, basil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and a pinch of onion powder.

I also add maybe 1/4 cup of water and puree it a little with an immersion blender (boat motor), but still leave some chunks in there.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:16:38 PM »
Essen1-what kind of measurements do you use?  In tsp, etc...?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:18:32 PM by Pizzacrazy7 »
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:21:54 PM »
I usually go by tsp, but go a little heavier on the Oregano and Basil and hand-crush them both before they go in.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »
As Mentioned Before I'll second that Mike, less is better but the fennel idea I saw here somewhere recently sounded pretty good.  :D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
Re: 6 in 1 Sauce Recipes for 12oz can
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:40:22 PM »
Pizzacrazy7,

If you really like the sound of the recipes you found for the 28oz cans, you can also do the math to scale down the recipes to a 12 oz can... i.e.  12 oz is 43% of 28 oz, so you could add just under half of the amount listed for the 28oz can.  So, for instance, if the 28 oz can recipe called for 2 tsp of an herb, you would add 7/8th tsp to the 12 oz can... you could just eyeball a shy tsp, which would be even easier.

Just a thought...

~sd

p.s.  Forgot to add that I agree with Mike... less is more.  Whether scaling the recipe or trying a new one, I would err on the side of less... after all, you can always add more.  Be sure to let the sauce rest for a while either way to let the herbs infuse into the sauce.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:56:36 PM by sourdough girl »
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline BTB

Re: 6 in 1 Sauce Recipes for 12oz can
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 08:36:45 AM »
I didn't know that 6 in 1 come in 12 oz. cans.  Where did you get them from?  --BTB

Edit:  Ok, I see the original posting was changed afterwards to 28 oz cans which is the best size in my estimation.  But all the replies mentioned 12 oz. can sizes, so I was wondering if I had misread the original posting, but did not.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:22:03 AM by BTB »