Author Topic: Tomato Paradise Found!  (Read 2438 times)

Offline ElevenBravo

Tomato Paradise Found!
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:08:12 PM »
Ok, so I've been trolling this forum and "experimenting" a lot over the last month or so. I've been on a quest to find the Escalon 6 in 1 ground tomatoes by calling all regional supermarkets that I could think of, but no luck. A couple days ago I broke down and ordered 9 cans from their website which should be delivered sometime this week. I had today off work due to MLK day, so went out with the family to do some shopping. I've seen Joseph Caputo and Sons fruit market in a nearby town (Algonquin, IL) but have never been there as I thought it was just fruits and veges. Boy, was I every wrong. I discovered that they have an entire store aisle (70,000 sq ft store) dedicated to canned tomatoes. Low and behold they have the 6 in 1s in stock. I had to take photos of this joint and post them to this forum where I'm sure someone will appreciate the simply massive variety of tomatoes they stock. I did buy a couple of cans in anticipation of receiving 9 via UPS in a couple days. I have a feeling I will be trying a wide variety of tomatoes in search of perfection for my style - Chicago deep dish, ala Giordano's, Edwardo's and Nancy's.

Great forum here, great posters with great passion for pizza. Love it. loowaters and Pete-zza are my heros.

~ 11B

Offline ElevenBravo

Re: Tomato Paradise Found!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:10:36 PM »
Additional pics.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:19:58 PM »
EB,

You're right about this store being a tomato paradise.  If I'd live in your area, I'd set up shop in that aisle, with a tent and a can opener!
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:38:25 PM »
  :o Thats a lotta tomatta!! You Lucky dog !!
Have fun and please post your findings (over the next few years) :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:50:09 PM »
Ahh Caputo's  :-*

I go down to IL every 4-6 weeks, and there are always two additional stops. Caputo's for lot's of things but of course tomatoes, and Portillo's for a beef sandwich. Have fun!

Going this Friday,

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »
Oh my god.  that is a serious selection for a retail outlet!!!  Im working with the bread version of that flour right now.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:14:50 AM »
11B,

All I can say is WOW!!--not the hero part but all those types and brands of tomatoes in one place!!

Peter

Offline RaginEggin

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »
11B,

WOW, my wife is lucky that store isn't around here, I would have a couple of every one of those cans and our refrigerator and freezer would be stocked with other pizza ingredients.  My knees would be weak if I ran across a local store like that.
Jealous, just plain jealous!

pizzapan