Author Topic: Pie or croissant like dough-Anybody?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline pjbear05

Pie or croissant like dough-Anybody?
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:27:35 PM »
 ???  Hi, New to the board, and trying to find if anybody else has tried/heard of/has a recipe for a pizza that duplicates a short lived pizza place called Michelangelo's in the Eastern Suburbs of Detroit, MI.- Harper Woods Grosse Pointe Woods etc. mid 1980's.  The crust was medium thick and had a pie dough or croissant consistency to it.  I think it was layered dough on bottom cheese, toppings, more cheese, pizza sauce on top.  Not Chicago or Detroit Style, but it was different.  These pizzas were 45 minutes order to table, so this place went out of business FAST-but is was an interesting pizza.

Any idea out there?  Thanks
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Pie or croissant like dough-Anybody?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 04:52:27 AM »
Sounds like a dough with lots of fat in it.  It is probably sheeted with a small coating of oil or butter or lard or shortening between the layers.
Good luck!

Offline Tom in Michigan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:39:27 PM »
I saw this post and I actually worked at Michaelangelos Pizza as a teenager.  It was a bit of a wait because it took a good 1/2 hour to cook but that was not the reason it closed.  The business was actually thriving and I think could still be in business today.  Unfortunately, St. John's hospital owned the buildings in that strip mall and would not renew the leases.  Once all leases expired they leveled all the buildings and eventually built a new complex that is there today.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 12:50:26 PM »
Thanks, Tom, I sent you a PM regarding the 7-Mack area in general.  I'm trying to remember, did they also use a dough sheeter?
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:10:21 AM »
I saw this post and I actually worked at Michaelangelos Pizza as a teenager.  It was a bit of a wait because it took a good 1/2 hour to cook but that was not the reason it closed.  The business was actually thriving and I think could still be in business today.  Unfortunately, St. John's hospital owned the buildings in that strip mall and would not renew the leases.  Once all leases expired they leveled all the buildings and eventually built a new complex that is there today.

Tom,

Welcome to the greatest pizza forum on the planet.  Any insight to how the dough was made and baked?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

pizzapan