Author Topic: Making regular mozzarella "wetter"?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline djones148

Making regular mozzarella "wetter"?
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »
Has anyone tried to increase the moisture content of regular mozzarella to make it closer to fresh mozzarella? I've been using mostly fresh because of the better melting qualities, but I still think that regular mozzarella has better flavor.

I was wondering if soaking slices of the cheese in milk or even cream might work.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Making regular mozzarella "wetter"?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 02:57:30 PM »
Per someones advice here (sorry don't remeber who) I mixed cream w/ feta to moisten it which worked great. Not sure if it would work for mozz, but might be worth a try.
Good Luck,

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline ilpizzaiolo

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:40:07 PM »
it would be easier to increase the flavor of fresh mozzarella. what brand of fresh mozzarella do you use.

- ron

Offline djones148

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
it would be easier to increase the flavor of fresh mozzarella. what brand of fresh mozzarella do you use.

- ron

Mozzarella Fresca has been the brand of cow's milk fresh mozz I've been using because it seems to melt well. I actually made a pizza just a few hours ago with it and the flavor seemed much better than I've tasted previously... I wonder if there is variation or maybe they've improved it.

I used Bubalus Bubalis bufala quite a bit in the past which did have pretty good flavor but broke down excessively during baking. The Italian bufala's like Mandara have had off flavors to me, probably because of deterioration during shipping.