Author Topic: Salt Content of Pepe's Dough  (Read 3299 times)

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: Salt Content of Pepe's Dough
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 08:01:19 AM »
like Barry did in the thread caymus linked I'd shoot for 600-650.   I did some Johnny's clones a week or two ago and did around those temps, my recipe had oil in it so not totally comparable  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34282.msg342569#msg342569

Offline slybarman

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 06:13:25 PM »
Thank you both. I wasn't sure if they ran the coal ovens hotter, like closer to NP, but sounds like NY with a longer bake.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 11:13:10 PM »
I remember reading that one of the East Coast places put sea salt on the peel prior to launching the pie. And, I build my pie on the peel and I have adopted that practice now and it gives a nice, salty quality to things. But.... We're talking something different here, right??

Offline slybarman

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »
Dave and Norma, Ryan is referring to Pepe's pizzeria in New Haven, not the Pepe's dough balls that Norma was experimenting with.

Ryan, I'm very sensitive to salt, and can always taste it at the 2-3% levels you find in Neapolitan pizza.  When I tasted Pepe's, I couldn't detect anything higher than 2%. I know you said that this isn't topping related, but I'm thinking it could be. Pepe's is very big on Romano- and that can drive up the salt.  It's also possible that they haphazardly sprinkled the the Romano and some got on the outer crust. Or maybe the person making the dough that day got the measurement wrong and added a bit more salt.  I think, though, that it's safe to say that, on a typical day, Pepe's is not a high salt (>2%) dough.

Btw, that recipe you have is a bit dated.  It's a solid recipe for NY, but this is more appropriate for a home oven Pepe knockoff:

Makes 3 17.5" pizzas:

[size=inherit]Full Strength Flour (100%):
Room Temp Water (58.04%):
IDY (.53%):
Salt (1.87%):
Total (160.44%):
Single Ball:
907.84 g  |  32.02 oz | 2 lbs
526.91 g  |  18.59 oz | 1.16 lbs
4.81 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.6 tsp | 0.53 tbsp
16.98 g | 0.6 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.04 tsp | 1.01 tbsp
1456.53 g | 51.38 oz | 3.21 lbs | TF = 0.0712
485.51 g | 17.13 oz | 1.07 lbs
[/size]

Measure dry (no yeast). Measure wet (+ yeast). Mix wet to dissolve yeast. Dry into wet. Mix, on lowest speed, in a spiral mixer 7 minutes, scraping down sides every few minutes.  Dough consistency should be between cottage cheese and smooth. Scale. Ball and place in lightly oiled dough pans. Refrigerate two days. Remove from fridge 3 hours before baking. Total time between making the dough and baking should be as close as possible to 48 hours. Dough should be just touching the sides of the container after removing from fridge. If not, use more yeast next batch. If it's risen up the container sides, use less yeast.

Bake on steel plate positioned on the highest oven shelf (4" from broiler) with a foil wall around the plate tilted at an angle to bounce radiation from the broiler towards the edge for of the pie. Pre-heat plate for 60 minutes at 550.

Dust wooden peel with 33/33/33 flour/semolina/corn meal
Stretch skin"
    finger press/rim form
    edge stretch (this is critical)
    knuckle stretch

to around 18" (it will spring back a bit) and place on peel

Quickly dress the pizza, shaking between each topping to make sure the skin doesn't stick
Launch
Wait 1 minute
Turn on broiler
Wait 1 minute
Rotate pizza 180 deg. with metal peel
Crack oven door if broiler shuts off. Broiler should be on for about 80% of the 7-8 minute bake.
Turn every 1.5 minutes, checking bottom color and top.
Retrieve, using metal peel, onto cooling rack
Allow to cool 8 minutes
Transfer to 18" metal pizza pan
Slice and serve

Cheese is sliced whole milk Boar's Head but any quality wholesale brick cheese will work. Sauce is ROA1 code tomatoes with a little salt.  As far as I can tell, both the Sclafani's and the Cento Italian tomatoes have this code. Non meat pies get a drizzle of evoo.  Everything gets a liberal dusting of Romano.

Dialing in the right amount of broiler time will take some trial and error. Also, the 550 preheat direction is for an oven that runs a bit on the cool side.  The steel plate should be around 540 for the bake. If your oven runs hotter, you might want to go with a 525 pre-heat.
Scott - I just want to double check, no oil and no sugar for NH?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 02:38:23 PM »
Scott - I just want to double check, no oil and no sugar for NH?
Steve,

Scott is no longer a member of the forum. His account has been closed.

Peter

Offline slybarman

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »
Steve,

Scott is no longer a member of the forum. His account has been closed.

Peter
Oh my. I guess I missed something. Sorry to hear.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 08:14:04 PM »
Here is my go at this recipe. The sprinkling of pecorino romano gives a nice flavor.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:18:23 PM by slybarman »

pizzapan