Author Topic: Essen1's NY-style pizza project  (Read 133171 times)

Online bregent

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #1100 on: July 28, 2015, 05:00:46 PM »
Thanks Jeff.
Bob

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1101 on: Yesterday at 10:01:05 PM »
Mike, I baked the pies from the dough I made that incorporated the bench rest. If there were any differences between it and the previous dough I made using warmer water and no bench rest, they were too subtle for my untrained palate to detect. What difference would you expect with the bench rest vs no rest? The pies did turn out great.

Also, I usually CF for 3 days but I'm wondering what changes need to be made to formula/dough handling, if I wanted to modify this to use as a same day dough? Thanks.

Bregent,

There's no difference in taste when it comes to doing a bench rest. The bench rest is there to relax the gluten a bit before it goes into the refer.

As far as a same day dough goes, I'd check here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24197.msg245588.html#msg245588

Had great results with it and the shaping makes all the difference. You can shape it as a NY-style, rustic or as an American style.

Works all ways.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline dflip

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1102 on: Yesterday at 10:46:28 PM »
Hey Essen1.  When you bake in your Waring, what temp are you launching at?  I see you referenced the recovery time in an earlier post.  Also, do you move your Waring around to different locations?  Thanks.

dflip

Online bregent

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1103 on: Today at 01:47:59 AM »
Bregent,

There's no difference in taste when it comes to doing a bench rest. The bench rest is there to relax the gluten a bit before it goes into the refer.

As far as a same day dough goes, I'd check here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24197.msg245588.html#msg245588

Had great results with it and the shaping makes all the difference. You can shape it as a NY-style, rustic or as an American style.

Works all ways.

Perfect. Thanks again Mike.
Bob

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1104 on: Today at 07:50:52 AM »
Hey Mike,

I so love the look of your pies, and especially the flakiness ( or is it more like puffy crispness), airiness I see in the rims in your crumb shots. Would you say that's attributed to your formula, mix and fermentation..and could it till be accomplished in a hand-mix? or to your two level stone bake? Or both/all of the above)

Also, reading back through some of your early posts, do you recall what advice this was re your note in Reply 10 ) http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.0...    or perhaps Peter (who's amazing!) may have a link to what he wrote.

Finally (at least for now) So why are you anti-steel? It seems to have many supporters, and I've had (what I thought was) good results with it. But you're adamant,  so why do you so strongly favor stone over steel?

Thanks!

pizzapan