Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 62124 times)

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
    • Pies in the Sky (a Pizza Blog)
Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2009, 09:57:33 AM »
I have the same containers and have the same issue when I use an extended cold fermentation period.  Each lid will usually pop on a daily basis.  I have just been letting them pop and resealing them as they do with no adverse effects.  However, I remember reading a thread in which Pete-zza posted saying that he had poked a small hole in the lids of some of his containers.  That may be an option.  I am likely going to just buy some better containers.  It's amazing how much money this pizza habit can wind up costing.   :o

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2009, 10:04:24 AM »
I use the exact same containers, and the exact same thing happens to me on a regular basis.  I just burp the lids like tupperware at least daily and put them back.  It's never been a problem as far as how things turned out though; just a pain to do when there's lots of them...   ::)
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Cass

« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »
I just put a small hole in the lid of each one, and it works well.  :)
If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
Epictetus

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2009, 11:16:43 AM »
Tbombs, Glutenboy and Cass, THANKS! Aaaaaaah, I feel better. I was thinking of all the open air between reseals that concerned me, but as long as I'm on it 2x a day it seems I'll be ok! The good news is they aren't blowing up out of the containers. Pinholes are not a bad idea, might try that too.

Thanks all,
Jim
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

parallei

« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »
I use the round glad containers also.  I too worried about air exposure when I found the tops popped off the next day.  On the other hand, I worried about loosing moisture through the holes I had punched in the lids.  All of this worry is probably unwarranted.  However, I now put the lids on the containers, then take a small bit of plastic wrap, place it over the holes and tape one edge of the wrap.  I then have “mini-flap valves”, sort of.  My wife finds this very strange and unnecessary.  No doubt she’s right…..

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2009, 02:44:38 PM »
I use the round glad containers also.  I too worried about air exposure when I found the tops popped off the next day.  On the other hand, I worried about loosing moisture through the holes I had punched in the lids.  All of this worry is probably unwarranted.  However, I now put the lids on the containers, then take a small bit of plastic wrap, place it over the holes and tape one edge of the wrap.  I then have “mini-flap valves”, sort of.  My wife finds this very strange and unnecessary.  No doubt she’s right…..

Paul,

I use mainly low-yeast dough formulations so I rarely have a lid pop off on me. I use only a single hole (about 1/8" diameter) in the lids. The moisture generally condenses in the inside surface of the lid although on occasion a bit will drip onto the dough. I also oil the dough balls so that they don't get too dry. Eventually, the oil gets absorbed into the dough.

Peter

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »
I put my balls ( ;D >:D) in SS bowls and cover the dough with plastic wrap. I dont cover the bowls, I actually put the wrap down on the balls and then up the sides of the bowl. If you put a little oil in the bowl and spread it up the sides with your fingers the plastic wrap will stick to the sides of the bowl and rise with the dough.

This also does away with the skin that can form on top of the balls.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline stupidhaiku

« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2009, 07:40:50 PM »
That happens to me occasionally with my glad containers (look to be the same size as yours).  If you're refrigerating your dough, the majority of the expansion is likely taking place before they have a chance to cool down, so you might try refrigerating with the lids lightly placed on top for a few hours before sealing them.  If you're at room temp, well, I've proofed dough for up to 36 hours at room temp with the lid only lightly resting on the top of the container, with no visible dehydration.  If you're up for experimenting some oiled saran wrap in between the bowl and the lid would probably let gas escape, while resealing before any dehydration can occur. 
-Mike (one of them, anyway)

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2009, 12:27:49 AM »
Paul,

I use mainly low-yeast dough formulations so I rarely have a lid pop off on me. I use only a single hole (about 1/8" diameter) in the lids. The moisture generally condenses in the inside surface of the lid although on occasion a bit will drip onto the dough. I also oil the dough balls so that they don't get too dry. Eventually, the oil gets absorbed into the dough.

Peter

Well this dough is pretty low yeast, no? Maybe what you are saying is since you put the holes in all containers anyway the low yeast doughs rarely pop them. These balls are generously oiled as the recipe calls for, so I'm hoping they calm down by tomorrow. If not it's gonna be the holes indeed. Some 'un-lidded" ones have blown up way beyond normal, they may not make the 5 days. All in all I learn so far from this to use the big square ziplocks. They have more room, and tighter seals, for a 230g ball to do what it wants to do without blowing lids off.

EDIT: In the spirit of "24"...

The following happened between 7 and 8 AM.

Degassed 4 balls due to huge air bubbles, reshaped and re-contained, still no word from Kim, this is the longest day of my entire life.

ding CHNK ding CHNK ding CHNK....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 07:28:11 AM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2009, 09:01:02 AM »
Jim,

Even before putting holes in the lids I did not have a problem with low-yeasted doughs popping a lid. It did happen with high-yeasted doughs, however. The lids for my metal containers do not have holes in them but they fit so tight onto the rest of the containers that they have never been blown off by fermenting doughs (again, mostly low-yeast doughs). I have sometimes wondered whether that was a causative factor in the long-lived doughs I have gotten using such containers. Using metal containers (I use old cookie tins) for fermenting Glutenboy's dough might be a good test. The downside is that you can't see what is happening to the doughs in such containers.

Peter

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2009, 09:35:57 AM »
'Twas a rock and roll bash where everyone's smashed! ... and well fed!

What an experience, as the most I ever did was 4. Probably all but 2 or 3 doughs were degassed at some point, and I know that I should have asked Peter for scaling the recipe as I already had added to everything after making GB's pies the first time. My first balls were 217 gs for 12" and by adding a few %'s I'd made them 230's. In my translation to 4 at a time I think I messed up the yeast a bit. That said the doughs also came out in a warm kitchen and sat for 2 hrs, this helped the wilted blobby ones that were degassed the night before, but also made everything loose and sticky! Not many aerial tosses, 1 to be exact.

I was worried that with 18 peeps there I would never keep up, but with the salads and sides it was great as all mingled about and for 2 plus hours there was always hot pies coming out. This was praised actually as it created a very social scene, but there where never more than 2 pies at a time. My oven recoup time per pie was how long it took to make the next one, but always on/offing the oven to ensure element burned trying to keep it at 550. of the 16 14 where made, 2 lost in battle, one frozen for later experiment.

Reviews where excellent, I was really proud of that as you can tell when there being sincere. "There's only one wood fired place in my Connecticut town that's as good as this", The texture is perfect, very tender and crispy at the same time", "never had sauce this good on pizza, best sauce ever" was commonly heard, and one bread maker who has a 5 year old starter she bakes with even said "What culture do you use". She was shocked there was none.

Not many pics, I was at the oven for 2.5 hrs straight, then did bbq in the evening hrs! Here's some with some pizzas visible though! I owe this all to this board, GB, Pete-zaa ( we gotta show that guy some appreciation someday) and all the fine people here.  :'( < tear of joy.

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2009, 11:16:37 AM »
Jim,

Even before putting holes in the lids I did not have a problem with low-yeasted doughs popping a lid.

Peter

Oh yeah, just to let you know (months later) the pinholes indeed solved the problem. I've been meaning to say this.  ;D

Also this thread just can't die, at 5-8 days this dough is just too good to not be tried by newbies!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2009, 04:35:31 PM »
How gratifying!  You know, I haven't done any experimenting with cultures so I have very little base for comparison, but the complexity you get after 6 days or so does seem to me to rival any artisan bread I've tried.  I'd love to do a side-by-side between this recipe at 8 days and some of the favorite starters to really test it out.  I'm just glad you're getting so much enjoyment out of it.  :chef:

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »
I'd like to see that side by side too, in particular cooked at 550-600 degrees. I'd guess they are similar until you go to Neapolitan type temps.

All I can say is yours is the best pizza I've made, hands down, so I am the grateful one. As for starters I never tried to make one either. Mostly because what I've asked about, and read, here at 550 it's sort of pointless. Then if you look at pics like this it doesn't exactly inspire words like "yeah, sign me up, looks great!"
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Hw8a5d-aS8Q/RaHIRDxKqmI/AAAAAAAAACo/28-fX0XtqN0/s320/sourdough_starter_day3.jpg

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2009, 06:06:23 PM »
GB, Hey man I made a 4 ball batch in my new spiffy mixer 9 days ago. I ate them at 5 and 7 days, and the last one today at 9. I don't know if you've gone out that far but the good news is it lives on, and gets even better with age. In opening the container today I was taken back by the lovely fermentation scent that filled the air. The beer-like smell even reinforces your test idea above all the more. To really put it further to the test I took the container out of fridge at 11:30, leaving dough contained. At 3:00 I cranked oven and took it to floured board, dusted and covered with wrap. At 4:30 it went in, so it was out for 5 hours after a 9 day sleep. As you can see the bubbles remained the same, and the rim and crust were fabulous! It's just a plain 13" cheese so I'll just show the before and rim shots.

As to the new mixer so far I see absolutely no difference between it and hand kneading in the quality of the doughs, but it's easier so...

Anyway go 9 days! (If you haven't already)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2009, 06:10:45 PM »
That looks beautiful.  Don't know that I've ever gone past day 8 yet, but it's only been because I couldn't wait for the pizza anymore!  I have however noticed that a nice long counter rise at the end is the perfect finishing touch.

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2009, 06:15:32 PM »
Thanks man. Yes I agree. I have come to realize 0 chill left, where it's almost falling apart and you have to stretch it delicately, is a big key.

In the fridge there's 0 difference in appearance from 7-9 days. Lump of slump, so that said I'm wondering what say 12 days might do.

The last line is not factoring in the non pin holed containers for the above party when the tops blew off and I had to degas every ball, but I have not degassed once since. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:18:21 PM by NY pizzastriver »

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2009, 10:47:50 AM »
Hey Peter! This is my kicked up 10% formula for three 12" pies, I had added 10% to get them to 230 grams or so. Can you tell me what this would be based on this for a single 15"? Or even for a 3 ball batch like this.

Flour (100%):446.65 g  |  14.7 oz | 0.92 lbs
Water (61.0526%):279.38 g  |  8.97 oz | 0.56 lbs
IDY (0.19817%) 0.30 tsp
Salt (2.5%):2 tsp

Thanks a million!
J

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2009, 01:21:11 PM »
This is my kicked up 10% formula for three 12" pies, I had added 10% to get them to 230 grams or so. Can you tell me what this would be based on this for a single 15"? Or even for a 3 ball batch like this.

Flour (100%):446.65 g  |  14.7 oz | 0.92 lbs
Water (61.0526%):279.38 g  |  8.97 oz | 0.56 lbs
IDY (0.19817%) 0.30 tsp
Salt (2.5%):2 tsp

Jim,

I am not sure what you have given me. Is it the actual dough formulation you used to make three 12" pizzas? If so, there appears to be an error in the hydration. Specifically, if I take 61.0526% of the formula water, I get 272.69143 grams of water, not 279.38 grams. I will await clarification before proceeding further.

Peter

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »
Peter, yes 3 ball. It's the below x 3 plus 10% as I was nowhere hear 227 gs with this. I added the 10% long ago and I got about 234 g balls for a 12".

KABF/VWG Blend (100%):138.88 g  |  4.9 oz | 0.31 lbs
Water (61.0526%):84.79 g  |  2.99 oz | 0.19 lbs
IDY (0.19817%):0.28 g | 0.01 oz | 0 lbs | 0.09 tsp | 0.03 tbsp
Salt (2.5%):3.47 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.62 tsp | 0.21 tbsp
Total (163.75077%):227.42 g | 8.02 oz | 0.5 lbs | TF = 0.07093

pizzapan