Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 56825 times)

Offline NY pizzastriver

Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2009, 01:52:15 PM »
trying this one now...

Ok, so based on original, not kicked up 10%, for a 12" I get this for three 15"...

Flour (100%):    643.54 g  |  22.7 oz | 1.42 lbs
Water (61.0526%):    392.9 g  |  13.86 oz | 0.87 lbs
IDY (0.19817%):    1.28 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.42 tsp | 0.14 tbsp
Salt (2.5%):    16.09 g | 0.57 oz | 0.04 lbs | 2.88 tsp | 0.96 tbsp
Total (163.75077%):   1053.8 g | 37.17 oz | 2.32 lbs | TF = 0.0701148
Single Ball:   351.27 g | 12.39 oz | 0.77 lbs

2% residue.

Thanks for all your help today Peter.  :D

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:02:50 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
Today's Lunch

I put the numbers in the dough calculator for two 15" pies, and I made the first one today. The interesting changes here were A, I did a 30 minute rest at 1st batter stage as opposed to 5, and B, I made the first one after only 3 days. I had also made this before in a 12" with the new mixer only, no hand kneading, and I noticed bubble reduction in the stretched dough. This time I added a couple minutes of stretching and folding. I'm a firm believer, still, that this...well gets air in there.

When I grew up as a kid there was a place in Long Island N.Y. named Mike's Pizza. What I loved about them was the ultra thin crust that just crackled in your mouth, lighter than air, you could hold it by the rim and it barely bent. Just amazing pizza. (and they had a great jukebox) Well my friends today, with G.B.'s formula, I have stumbled into a recreation of this pizza! It's a very proud day for me, really. I was shocked it was even any good after only 3 days, never mind having to pop over sized bubbles all over the dough once stretched. It didn't want to go to 15", but some aerial tosses got me darn close. Let me also say when you toss a 15" it's a lot different than tossing a 12". I know you pro's are laughing at that one, but to me this is a notable difference. It looks like it's about 28" in the air until you catch it again. Anyway I made a point of going light sauce, shredding frozen cheese to get it very fine, and just topping with pepperoni. I was on a N.Y. mission, well... mission accomplished.
 ;D

In closing, let me say again, there's something very special about this formula folks. The ultra low yeast, no oil, it's ability to live (and keep getting better) up to 9 days without sugar, and now I learn it's great at 3 with the slight adjustments above, it's practically magical.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:03:15 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2009, 03:13:14 PM »
Today's Lunch

I put the numbers in the dough calculator for two 15" pies, and I made the first one today. The interesting changes here were A, I did a 30 minute rest at 1st batter stage as opposed to 5, and B, I made the first one after only 3 days. I had also made this before in a 12" with the new mixer only, no hand kneading, and I noticed bubble reduction in the stretched dough. This time I added a couple minutes of stretching and folding. I'm a firm believer, still, that this...well gets air in there.

When I grew up as a kid there was a place in Long Island N.Y. named Mike's Pizza. What I loved about them was the ultra thin crust that just crackled in your mouth, lighter than air, you could hold it by the rim and it barely bent. Just amazing pizza. (and they had a great jukebox) Well my friends today, with G.B.'s formula, I have stumbled into a recreation of this pizza! It's a very proud day for me, really. I was shocked it was even any good after only 3 days, never mind having to pop over sized bubbles all over the dough once stretched. It didn't want to go to 15", but some aerial tosses got me darn close. Let me also say when you toss a 15" it's a lot different than tossing a 12". I know you pro's are laughing at that one, but to me this is a notable difference. It looks like it's about 28" in the air until you catch it again. Anyway I made a point of going light sauce, shredding frozen cheese to get it very fine, and just topping with pepperoni. I was on a N.Y. mission, well... mission accomplished.
 ;D

In closing, let me say again, there's something very special about this formula folks. The ultra low yeast, no oil, it's ability to live (and keep getting better) up to 9 days without sugar, and now I learn it's great at 3 with the slight adjustments above, it's practically magical.

Beautiful!

But when I looked at the first pic I almost strained my neck so I rotated your pie a little. The rotation didn't make it any bigger, though  ;D

Anyway, great job, Bro!
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2009, 03:15:01 PM »
Strange...the post came up twice.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »
Thanks Mike, and hahaha. Well that's my new 16" tray, so yeah once it got off the peel it was about 14  again...but it was 15 for a little while! Hey, btw, you have been immortalized in my signature.  :-D

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2009, 03:18:53 PM »
Strange...the post came up twice.

It's the magic of the formula.  :o

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2009, 03:22:45 PM »
Thanks Mike, and hahaha. Well that's my new 16" tray, so yeah once it got off the peel it was about 14  again...but it was 15 for a little while! Hey, btw, you have been immortalized in my signature.  :-D

Does that mean I'm famous now??? If that's the case then I'm accepting requests for autographs now...Barry Bonds-style, which means $50 a pop.
Mike

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2009, 03:28:45 PM »
Does that mean I'm famous now??? If that's the case then I'm accepting requests for autographs now...Barry Bonds-style, which means $50 a pop.

Sure, you became famous when you filmed your family eating your pizza, and you said those words! Yep, we have it on tape to prove it...

Or at least your words inspired my writers embellishment to say you said them, so close enough.  :-D

Meanwhile see that bad boy thinness!? A 'crackling good' pie man.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:31:20 PM by NY pizzastriver »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »
Made some pizzas for a party last night.  Standard GB formulation with All-Trumps after 6 days in the fridge.  Two of the pics are basically Margherita with sausage, and the third is a white pie with a blend of Provolone, Fresh Mozzarella, Pecorino Romano, Parm Reggiano, and goat cheese.  It also had mushrooms, fresh garlic, spinach, rosemary, thyme, and a drizzle of evoo.  The lighting came out very yellow so the pics aren't the best, but it was good stuff.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:45:50 PM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »
Glutenboy,

Very tasty looking pies.  The crust must have been amazing after the long ferment.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2010, 09:30:06 PM »
Yeah, the crust drew a lot of comments re taste and texture.  The long fermentation definitely lends a depth of flavor.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2010, 01:25:24 AM »
Here's one more shot of the white pie bubbling in the oven.  Mmmmmm!!!  :chef:

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2010, 03:31:42 AM »
Here's some pics from tonight.  This time the oven's mine and the dough is at 7 days.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2010, 03:33:55 AM »
And some more...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:02:19 AM by Glutenboy »

brayshaw

« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2010, 08:15:56 AM »
Glutenboy, those look incredible buddy!!! wow!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2010, 12:44:43 PM »
Thanks.  I just discovered the macro setting on my camera!  ;D

Offline scottm

« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2010, 02:34:54 PM »
I've been lurking on this site for just shy of a month and have made a few pizzas with pretty good success. I must admit, some of the pizzas in this thread are the best i've ever seen and i can only imagine how yummy they must be!

Scott

Offline Pizza!!

« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »
Thanks.  I just discovered the macro setting on my camera!  ;D

Macro FTW!

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2010, 05:08:44 PM »
I've been lurking on this site for just shy of a month and have made a few pizzas with pretty good success. I must admit, some of the pizzas in this thread are the best i've ever seen and i can only imagine how yummy they must be!

Well welcome, and right you are. Even at 3-4 days it's superior to most home oven formulas.

GB, as I said here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10021.msg87604.html#msg87604 I made that as is for 15, about 350g balls in the end, and it did stretch to 15 fine...once 00 was no longer used.  :P Back to basics, King Arthur's unbleached.

I also decided that I would use a bunch of toppings on a great crust with great cheese and sauce. (read around, you'll get it) So after 4 days I did a "Meat Lovers & Garlic" special. Proper cooked sauce, heavier garlic for a change. Fresh loaf mozzarella, Boar's Head Genoa salami, Boar's Head ham, pepperoni, ground sweet Italian sausage cooked in aforementioned sauce, fresh garlic, fresh basil. Great pie, nice to be back.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:14:16 PM by NY pizzastriver »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2010, 11:15:37 PM »
Fantastic!  The corincione looks lighter than air.