Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 68509 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #200 on: July 03, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »
Thx for the nice words Chris.  Overfermentation and I are practically best buds these days.  I'm trying to give him the cold shoulder but he won't leave me alone.

Overfermentation:  JT,  dude what are you doing tonight?  Wanna hang out ?
Me: uh...I'm busy...I'm doing some experiments later.
Overfermentation:  Really?  Is it with pizza dough.  I'm an expert, I'll come over.
Me: ugh!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:14:15 PM by Jackie Tran »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #201 on: July 03, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »
Chris,

Your pizza looks delicious!  I can see how the 5 day fermented dough gave the crust a great flavor.  

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #202 on: April 28, 2011, 05:35:59 AM »
I used a few 7 day balls of this dough last night and wow... it was hands down the best pizza I've ever made. Even in my oven which only goes up to 500 degrees it was full of random bubbles and the taste was just ridiculous. Going to make some more tomorrow lunchtime (9 days) so will hopefully post my results.

Been using this dough for a good while now with amazing success. Not been posting as have been making pizzas with lots of people round so it's not been convenient to take photos but I will do soon. Comments from friends about pizzas using this dough are also very positive.

THIS DOUGH IS THE BEST THING EVER.

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #203 on: May 14, 2011, 08:55:57 AM »
I have just made a batch of this dough with Marriage's Very Strong Canadian White Flour:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marriages-Strong-Canadian-White-Flour/dp/B0043RQ01O

Has anyone had any experiences with this product?

I found it in a new speciality bakers that's opened where I live.

scott123

« Reply #204 on: May 14, 2011, 01:42:31 PM »
Member Paulspizza has worked with Marriage's flour extensively in preparation for opening his pizzeria. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2012, 07:37:11 AM »

Hey GB,

Here is a photo of your original recipe post from 09, attached to the back of the door to my prep kitchen, in China.

Figured you would get a kick out of this.

Offline SinoChef

« Reply #206 on: March 22, 2012, 07:48:57 AM »

Followed the recipe exactly. Just had to change flours 3 different times.

Absolutely perfect.

(I got 16 days in the cooler out of one batch before it finally gave up the ghost)

And thanks, as always to Pete-zaa for making this such an easy site to navigate through! ;)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2012, 08:13:58 AM »
And thanks, as always to Pete-zaa for making this such an easy site to navigate through! ;)

SinoChef,

Thank you very much, but the credit really goes to Steve, the owner and Administrator of the forum who chose the indexing format for the forum over a chronological one, and also to the other Moderators, and particularly Bill/SFNM, who spend a lot of time trying to keep things in the right place, especially with the phenomenal growth of the forum over the last few years. We have been averaging about 125 new posts a day (and over 45,000 new posts over the last year). It also helps that the forum is clean and uncluttered, without ads all over the place jumping up and down and mixed in with the forum content so that you almost can't tell which is which. That alone makes navigation much better and easier.

I'm sure that Glutenboy will be pleased to see that his recipe is being used in China.

Peter

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2012, 06:02:55 PM »
China!!! Pleased is an understatement!  ;D  I'm really glad you guys are enjoying the formula.  I wish I could take credit for calculating the science behind it, but it really is just a synthesis of the wisdom I picked up from others here.  Varasano, Pete Taylor, Scott R, Pete-zza, and many others did my heavy lifting.  I'm a pizza plagarist!  But I am glad that you like it and are having success with it.  I've never come close to sixteen days.  I'm imagining colder refrigeration could extend the process...?  A buddy of mine made it to day 11 before the dough died.  He didn't have the heart to throw it out til day 13.  Kind of like a mama chimp.  :-\
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline SinoChef

« Reply #209 on: March 23, 2012, 04:21:00 AM »

Well yes Pete, thanks to all the members here for the nice forum. I guess what I meant was, it was nice to sit down and find the needle I wanted quickly in this gigantic stack of needles here. You took the time to list all the most popular NY styles on the start of this board. GB's stood out right away, because of the long shelf life.

The 16 day pizza turned out like Indian Naan bread. The flavor was delicious, the texture how ever was not something I could serve. 300 g dough ball, and I could still stretch it as aggressively as I wanted

The flour here is really garbage. But the one thing I have learned the last couple of weeks. I will never make any kind of bread product, with out using the autolyse process. 

This crust is like the best baguette you have ever had.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #210 on: June 30, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »
I just tried my first Glutenboy dough bake, and I think I'm in love!

50% Central Milling Organic Artisan Baker Craft; 50% Central Milling Organic Type 85 Malted, which made for a slightly strange looking dough after a 6 day ferment (the Type 85 caused it to go a little grey-ish on the outside... I got over that in a hurry when I tasted it). This was the best tasting dough I have ever had. In fact, it was so flavorful, I may actually cut back a bit on the Type 85 next time.

White pie topped with garlic, basil, kale, tomato and EVOO. Sapputo part-skim mozzarella and a little pecorino. 5 minute bake (3 minutes plus 2 minutes on convection) at 545 degrees.

The dough handled like a dream. I don't know if you can see in the photo of the bottom, but I could actually see the tomato and either basil or kale right through the pie (maybe next time I'll go a little thicker :-D). Nice crumb, nice crunch and chew.

I have one more dough ball left from this batch, which I will use tomorrow. Thank you Glutenboy... you are a credit to pizza making!

Barry

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:38:17 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »
Looks awesome. I can almost feel the crunch in my mouth with that bottom shot. Very nice!
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2012, 08:56:33 PM »
Thanks, Barry.  You are a credit to the recognition of greatness... Kidding.  Your pizzas look great.

- GB

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #213 on: July 02, 2012, 04:18:53 PM »
Thanks, Jackitup and Glutenboy.

Hey GB, do you know the words to that old Mac Davis song...

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
when you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror
cause I get better looking each day.
To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man.
Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
but I'm doing the best that I can.  ;D

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #214 on: July 02, 2012, 04:26:03 PM »
That's awesome.  My best friend in high school used to walk around singing that all the time.   :-D

Offline Steve E

« Reply #215 on: July 04, 2012, 11:47:10 PM »
Hi All,

I tried GB's recipe tonight and loved the flavor of the dough. The crust had a nice crisp to it and the rim was nice and airy. I have to say it was my best pizza to date. I had trouble stretching the skin. It just did not seem to relax. I had in the fridge for 8 days and took it out and rested it at room temp for about an hour and a half prior to forming the skin. What would cause it to do that? It also wanted to tear more that the other doughs I have tried. I used bread flour from Costco. I think it's harvest king bread flour. The recipe was:

Flour 100%
Water 61%
IDY .19%
Salt: 2.5%
16oz dough ball
Mixed and fermented just like the recipe on page 1.

Steve

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #216 on: July 05, 2012, 04:29:35 AM »
Your hydration (61 percent) sounds low to me.  When I use Harvest King, I'm up around at least 65 percent.  That could definitely affect extensibility.

Offline Steve E

« Reply #217 on: July 05, 2012, 08:18:33 AM »
Your hydration (61 percent) sounds low to me.  When I use Harvest King, I'm up around at least 65 percent.  That could definitely affect extensibility.

Thanks GB, I will up the hydration and give it another try.

Steve

Offline SnuffGear

• SnuffGear.com
« Reply #218 on: July 05, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
GB, what hydration would you suggest if I'm using KA High Gluten flour? Recipe I tried was the same as Steve E's above. (except the flour type) Had a hard time stretching. Have to say though, the dough tasted great!

Thanks
Tom

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #219 on: July 05, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »
Tom - If you mean KA Sir Lancelot, I've never used it so I'm not sure.

Steve and Tom - I haven't seen a lot of posts from either of you so I don't know how many pizzas you've made prior to now.  Hydration is important, but handling can also have a big effect on extensibility.  Are you careful not to manhandle or reknead the dough right before you stretch the skin?  That'll cause the gluten to tighten up, and it'll be more than a little while before you can try again.  Sometimes it'll ruin it.

Steve - When you did your 1.5-hour counter rise, did the dough relax and rise a bit?  Was it covered to avoid any drying?

I just ask to eliminate possible causes that can be easily fixed.

- GB